• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

No way on this planet will they come after birth control.

But I felt the same way about abortion so who knows. We live in such a wild time, where the extremes are ruling.

You need to strike down the right to privacy to strike down the other rights they want to get rid of.

Good thing the religious right has been using their political capital for half a century to improve the resources available to pregnant women, mothers, and unwanted kids in this country. Imagine rolling back Roe without all these advancements they’ve made in sex education, access to contraception, health care access and costs, childcare, and early childhood education? That would be devastating. Good thing the pro-life movement has been so supportive of expanding the pool of adoptive family by adding same sex couples!

Abortion: When will we as a country wake up to the truth?

*This* was the long game all along.

And if this doesn't galvanize voters for the next election cycle nothing will.

It already didn’t galvanize voters. Hillary lost because voters stayed home instead of voting to protect Roe and other cases that protect individual freedom.

They paid no price for Garland and no price for Trump. They got everything they wanted for simply giving up what little integrity they had left. Small price to pay to gain the whole world.

Yep. In the words of Dennis Green, “But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!”

This might be the shot in the arm the Dem's need in the midterms. Abortion rights are highly favorable in the US.

Nope. Democrats and Independents favor abortion rights but it doesn’t motivate them to go to the polls. If it did, it would have happened already.

Last edited:
Abortion: When will we as a country wake up to the truth?

if this doesn't galvanize voters for the next election cycle nothing will.
You can repeat dumb shit like this forever if it makes you feel good but it’s never going to be true. People devote mental energy to things which bring them entertainment, satisfaction, or comfort. There exists a subset of citizens who don’t currently get any entertainment, satisfaction, or comfort from political involvement.

Obviously the cost to entice those voters is too great, because neither party considers it worthwhile to earn those votes. Me personally, I would like for all non-voters to join the Democratic Party, but I acknowledge that current circumstances aren’t going to bring that about. As a child you learn the maxim “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result”, yet for some reason people never apply that logic to systems. We uphold and protect broken systems despite them failing over and over again, because we are afraid of change.

So I’ll hold the mirror up to you - if Roe v Wade being overturned doesn’t galvanize Democrat *voters* to change then nothing will.

Last edited:
Nope. Democrats and Independents favor abortion rights but it doesn’t motivate them to go to the polls. If it did, it would have happened already.

There is hope in the notion that many many many people did not believe it would actually come to this. Cata didn't believe it. I'm not sure why they believed that, but they did.

I think Democratic leaders also didn't believe Pubs would not actually do this and they cynically used the threat of Roe being over turned to fund raise year after year after year but never actually did anything with the funds except win a few elections and then hide behind the filibuster. I think this non-codified state worked for Dems and their "war chests" quite a bit over the years. There was a small part of me that hoped the Pubs were doing the same thing, using Roe to win elections, and that they wanted to keep the scheme going, but as others have pointed out, they've got plenty of issues lined to keep the Benjamins rolling in.

Very likely that if Republicans had continued on nominating traditional establishment Republican Presidents that Republican President would have appointed more moderate justices who wouldn’t have overturned Roe v. Wade. The old boys club Republican Party has been cock-teasing right wing voters for decades and Trump fucked everything up by actually giving them what they wanted.

Very likely that if Republicans had continued on nominating traditional establishment Republican Presidents that Republican President would have appointed more moderate justices who wouldn’t have overturned Roe v. Wade. The old boys club Republican Party has been cock-teasing right wing voters for decades and Trump fucked everything up by actually giving them what they wanted.

This is more on McConnell than on Trump.

People devote mental energy to things which bring them entertainment, satisfaction, or comfort. There exists a subset of citizens who don’t currently get any entertainments, satisfaction, or comfort from political involvement.

Very well said. Republicans have turned politics into a fun game for their base. Democrats have no equivalent to that but have to figure out something. Unfortunately, “elect us to protect Roe” won’t work because Democrats have barely moved a finger to protect Roe.

This is more on McConnell than on Trump.

Right, the judges are the thing that keeps the Republicans that don't love Trump in line.

This was a long term project that pre-dates Trump.

Can’t believe how backwards we are going, really are looking for the good old days where you can die from trying to do an unsafe at home abortion and if that doesn’t kill you maybe the polio will.

There is hope in the notion that many many many people did not believe it would actually come to this. Cata didn't believe it. I'm not sure why they believed that, but they did.

I think Democratic leaders also didn't believe Pubs would not actually do this and they cynically used the threat of Roe being over turned to fund raise year after year after year but never actually did anything with the funds except win a few elections and then hide behind the filibuster. I think this non-codified state worked for Dems and their "war chests" quite a bit over the years. There was a small part of me that hoped the Pubs were doing the same thing, using Roe to win elections, and that they wanted to keep the scheme going, but as others have pointed out, they've got plenty of issues lined to keep the Benjamins rolling in.

Lol. There is no hope.

"Yeah, it's bad it's come to this, but look at the gas prices and the border crisis! And Democrats are communists! And we really just hate people! Gays and blacks especially!"

This might be the shot in the arm the Dem's need in the midterms. Abortion rights are highly favorable in the US.

It seems to be the only hope.

Otherwise, a majority of people seem to be so ignorant/misled as to foolishly prefer Republicans on the leading “issues”.

Back