• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Dems could easily have written a bill that Manchin would have signed onto to codify Roe, but instead specifically added whatever would ensure a no from him, going so far as to get feedback to make sure he wouldn't vote for it. It got the Pubs on record voting against Roe and keeps the issue on the ballot for the midterms. The economy is fried, stocks are tanking, inflation exploding, Russia's committing to a long, exhausting war. At least this gives them something on top of Jan 6 to campaign on. And it still won't be enough, House and Senate will go red which will in turn basically lock up 2024. Gonna be a brutal run for a while.

It's a brutal end, not a run. I'm pretty sure this is the end.

It's a brutal end, not a run. I'm pretty sure this is the end.

If this group of Republicans gets control of all 3 branches of the government again it's hard to imagine that they will ever willingly and peacefully give up that power, even if they lose the next election. They're not methodically placing 2020 election deniers in charge of many state elections and rewriting the rules and laws to allow state legislatures and officials to simply ignore or overturn popular vote results in their states for shits and giggles.

I'm interested to see how this affects IVF. Logically, you would think it would be banned in states outlawing abortion. My assumption is that women who undergo those treatments are not more liberal than the general population. I don't have statistical data to support that assumption, but I know of several women who are extremely anti-abortion who have undergone IVF. It's incredibly hypocritical, and also will be very sad for those struggling to start a family.

If this group of Republicans gets control of all 3 branches of the government again it's hard to imagine that they will ever willingly and peacefully give up that power, even if they lose the next election. They're not methodically placing 2020 election deniers in charge of many state elections and rewriting the rules and laws to allow state legislatures and officials to simply ignore or overturn popular vote results in their states for shits and giggles.

Right, we are on the precipice of a very dangerous situation. Handing power over to a political party that attempted a violent coup just 2 years ago and since then has been working to make the time successful or just simply unnecessary. They've stacked the courts, perverted the district maps, and made voting much more restricted in much of the country. If they win in November and again in 2024 it's most likely the end.

I get that people are frustrated with the Democratic Party, they are weak and money grubbing, but right now they are the only thing that stands between us and theocratic fascism. Give them your all.

I'm interested to see how this affects IVF. Logically, you would think it would be banned in states outlawing abortion. My assumption is that women who undergo those treatments are not more liberal than the general population. I don't have statistical data to support that assumption, but I know of several women who are extremely anti-abortion who have undergone IVF. It's incredibly hypocritical, and also will be very sad for those struggling to start a family.

They can just adopt all the unwanted babies. We've got a supply side problem with domestic babies and this SCOTUS decision solves it.

They can just adopt all the unwanted babies. We've got a supply side problem with domestic babies and this SCOTUS decision solves it.

Right, that was always an option. We're going to hear news stories about how Karen was pro-life and then found out her dream of having a baby was shattered after IVF became unavailable and travelling to a non-fascist state for regular treatments was cost-prohibitive.

Dems could easily have written a bill that Manchin would have signed onto to codify Roe, but instead specifically added whatever would ensure a no from him, going so far as to get feedback to make sure he wouldn't vote for it...

That’s an interesting opinion that I have not heard before. You believe the Dems wrote an abortion bill with specific additions to insure that Manchin *wouldn’t* sign it?

Right, that was always an option. We're going to hear news stories about how Karen was pro-life and then found out her dream of having a baby was shattered after IVF became unavailable and travelling to a non-fascist state for regular treatments was cost-prohibitive.

But Karen is still a pro-life MAGA Republican and this is just God's will for her life.

That’s an interesting opinion that I have not heard before. You believe the Dems wrote an abortion bill with specific additions to insure that Manchin *wouldn’t* sign it?

I'm not all that plugged in here in DC just to preserve my sanity, but I heard from a friend on the hill that they wrote it specifically to expand Roe in a way that Manchin wouldn't vote for it. Then before bringing it to the floor they verified with Manchin that he would not surprise them and vote yes. His understanding was that it was very much by design - he said there were other versions prepared that were more expansive had Manchin indicated he'd be a yes.

It came up in discussing whether the leak was from the right to make sure Kavanaugh didn't flip or from the left to make sure Roe was on the ballot.

Trump caused the Arizona secretary of state to receive death threats on himself and his family. The dude still will vote for trump

Dems could easily have written a bill that Manchin would have signed onto to codify Roe, but instead specifically added whatever would ensure a no from him, going so far as to get feedback to make sure he wouldn't vote for it. It got the Pubs on record voting against Roe and keeps the issue on the ballot for the midterms. The economy is fried, stocks are tanking, inflation exploding, Russia's committing to a long, exhausting war. At least this gives them something on top of Jan 6 to campaign on. And it still won't be enough, House and Senate will go red which will in turn basically lock up 2024. Gonna be a brutal run for a while.

How have I never heard of this proposed legislation before?

Furthermore, what other Republicans in the Senate were going to vote to codify Roe?

Trump caused the Arizona secretary of state to receive death threats on himself and his family. The dude still will vote for trump

That's the most mind boggling thing to me. He said Trump behaved in a way that is counter to what his religion teaches, but he'd still vote for Trump rather than a Democrat.

Republicans just want Democrats to do the dirty work of taking Trump out for them.

I'm not all that plugged in here in DC just to preserve my sanity, but I heard from a friend on the hill that they wrote it specifically to expand Roe in a way that Manchin wouldn't vote for it. Then before bringing it to the floor they verified with Manchin that he would not surprise them and vote yes.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. Is the implication from your friends statement that Manchin would have supported a bill codifying Roe, but Dems did not want to?

Last edited:
How have I never heard of this proposed legislation before?

Furthermore, what other Republicans in the Senate were going to vote to codify Roe?

Collins and Murkowski have their own bill, the Reproductive Choice Act though its a bare bones bill without a lot of specifics. I dont really understand the idea Dems wanted Manchin to vote against their own bill. It was a roll call vote with no meaning anyway. And even if he approves, it doesn't get passed without 60 and would still be an election issue. What good did that do?

I guess they could put some very basic protections up for a vote a couple months before elections and make Pub senators vote against abortions in the case of rape, incest and life threatening instances. Would them voting against the most basic protections move the needle for some voters - who knows?

It’s like the cult aspect is lost on a lot of you. You don’t just leave a cult even when confronted with reason and logic that blows apart everything you believe, you make up reality and keep on culting. I mean the cult 100% wanted to murder Pence and he still wants to lead the damn thing.

The first generic congressional poll since Roe reversal shows a pretty big shift amongst registered Millennial and Gen Z voters. Done by Marist, before the decision they had D at 45% and R at 40%, and after the decision they have D at 54% and R at 32%.

Good one doctor. Represents NC's 3rd, which runs up the coast from the north side of Wilmington to the VA border.

579616f9ae820202a538a5f57ea1c049

Back