• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Sailor, the question is: the reason why abortions should be illegal according to a lot of pro-lifers is that it is murder, if this is the case, then why would you not punish someone who chooses to have an abortion and therefore committed murder?

The question isn't: some people think abortion isn't murder so they don't care if they do it or not. It's asking why a pro-lifer says it's murder then doesn't want to punish the mother for the murder/accessory to murder. It's logically inconsistent, Milhouse is right.

he understands that. It's the coils of epistemological chaos pro lifers must twist themselves into to help themselves feel like they're being compassionate.

he understands that. It's the coils of epistemological chaos pro lifers must twist themselves into to help themselves feel like they're being compassionate.

Yeah definitely. Also Sailor, I don't think that "they didn't think it was murder" is going to be a valid defense.

what's the Christian attitude? go and sin no more, love the sinner, hate the sin; the object being to stop people from committing the act, not punishing them

in this particular issue that seems like a reasonable and humane position

The whole thing is a false hypothetical. Abortion is legal, so it's pointless to talk about "what ifs" were it to be illegal.

Agreed. It's too far fetched to even consider. It would take a Republican president. Republican majority in both houses of Congress and at least one conservative appointee to the Supreme Court and the right case. No way that could happen within the next two years. No way.

what's the Christian attitude? go and sin no more, love the sinner, hate the sin; the object being to stop people from committing the act, not punishing them

Why is it any different than murdering anyone else?

Sure. Everyone knows the test of your compassion is the degree of your willingness to Shop-vac out innocent human life and disingenuously relabel it a choice.

Sure. Everyone knows the test of your compassion is the degree of your willingness to Shop-vac out innocent human life and disingenuously relabel it a choice.

You seem to think that abortion is murder ("the slavery of our generation"), shouldn't we hold women responsible for their own actions and either charge them with murder or accessory to murder?

You seem to think that abortion is murder ("the slavery of our generation"), shouldn't we hold women responsible for their own actions and either charge them with murder or accessory to murder?

What would you do if a woman drowned her two month old child? That's murder, right? What about if she undergoes an unlawful procedure to end the life of a healthy child in the third trimester. That's just good healthy fun in Numbersland?

What would you do if a woman drowned her two month old child? That's murder, right? What about if she undergoes an unlawful procedure to end the life of a healthy child in the third trimester. That's just good healthy fun in Numbersland?

Yes that's murder. So what's your answer to my question above?

So that's a yes.

Let's go by trimesters:

First: Yes
Second: Yes
Third: Yes.

And you say?

Healthy child three days before delivery. Mom terminates pregnancy. That's a "What'evs, rub some dirt on it, kid" in your world?

christians don't believe in punishing murderers?

1. Murder is immoral
2. Abortion is murder
3. Murder is a criminal charge

Yet, punishing mothers who get abortions in a hypothetical America where it is illegal to get an abortion goes too far? That's what I don't understand from the pro-lifer who says "abortion is murder." It's essentially a rephrased statement of whoever on here keeps saying "there's a logical inconsistency with pro-lifers who claim to believe that abortion is murder."

were the slave owners punished after the slaves were freed?

like Bismarck said, "Politics is the art of the possible."

If they continued to hold slaves? Sure. (enforcement was shitty but still).

Unless you are saying that murder shouldn't be punished, or that abortion isn't murder, then you are boxed in to arguing that women should be punished for murder for getting an abortion.

I'm worried about overpopulation destroying all of us, not to mention all the other species that are going extinct as a result of human overpopulation- so I support abortion even though I don't like it. But I tend to find the moral argument against it compelling.

Back