• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Democrats are more worried about prenatal and postnatal care at 38 weeks.

I'm a little confused on why Trump is getting criticism from guys like Kasich. If abortion were illegal, which is what they want, then there would have to be some form of punishment for having one.

I'm a little confused on why Trump is getting criticism from guys like Kasich. If abortion were illegal, which is what they want, then there would have to be some form of punishment for having one.

Right there are two issues IMO

1) The ideological inconsistency of the GOP establishment and
2) The "true believer" position of pro-lifers going even further than pre-Roe v. Wade laws.

It would seem to me that the pro-life crowd would be better spent advocating for early and free health care for women.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/04/04/1510239/-After-IN-governor-signs-extreme-bill-aimed-at-punishing-women-he-gets-unexpected-monthly-updates?detail=facebook

Someone from Pence's campaign literally just rang my doorbell, wanting to know if I was likely to vote republican or democrat in the upcoming election. I let him know that I wasn't sure, and that I'm going to be ovulating soon, and that I was unclear on whether or not I was legally required to fertilize the egg. He started cracking up.

Operator: Governor Mike Pence's Office, please hold... >6 minutes later<

Operator: Governor Pence's office, thank you for waiting... Me: Hi, I'm a native Hoosier who derives from the uterus of another native Hoosier... Operator: >clears throat< Me: I now live in California and I'm wondering if my uterus still falls under the juridiction of Governor Pence or-- ? Operator: Please hold. >click<

Logic, science and, finally, moral reasoning said otherwise. If over here an unborn child is a person but over there it isn’t, and the only thing distinguishing the two is someone’s feelings, we’ve got a problem. And it’s not just a problem of language.

1. Most of the laws referenced in that article were advanced and passed by pro-life legislatures. Many of them faced significant opposition from pro-choice lawmakers. Losing a legislative battle while winning a constitutional battle doesn't make one inconsistent.

2. The article, and 95% of the American public, are confused about what exactly that constitutional battle was about. It wasn't about defining personhood, or even leaving that decision up to the woman. It was about determining when the governments interest is compelling enough to intrude on a woman's fundamental right to bodily autonomy.

3. That determination is separate, and in fact does not rely on when a fetus becomes a person.

4. Because the constitution places a higher burden on government interference with a woman's uterus than it does on government punishment of murderers, it is logically consistent to have different standards even when the object of the government interest is the same.

I am pro-life but believe pro-choice...why is abortion a governmental issue? Wouldn't the lack of abortions potentially increase the need for increased welfare and doesn't the GOP want to amend welfare laws? How will this be addressed?

Abortion: When will we as a country wake up to the truth?

Removed

Last edited:
i guess I always figured you folks figured it was something a higher power than government worries about. that's where your entire belief system comes from anyway, not from a bureaucratic entity.

You think someone could be pro-life and not see the act of abortion as something the government should be concerned about? Some serious cognitive dissonance going on in that philosophy.

You sound like the people you mock.

"I love education I just don't think it is something that our governing body should be worried about...."

Of course. In fact many pro-lifers' views on the limits of government power would seem to dictate such a belief.

Gonna call BS on this one. Anyone remotely pro life would understand why this a governmental issue. You are essentially asking why the unwarranted destruction of a human life would be of concern to a governing body.

Governments are not concerned with the unwarranted destruction of a human life outside of their jurisdiction. Whether it's a person or not, a pre-viability fetus is as much beyond the legitimate reach of federal/state government as someone in India.

Of course. In fact many pro-lifers' views on the limits of government power would seem to dictate such a belief.

And they exercise such beliefs when it comes to the lives of the unborn for everything else but abortion.

A consistent pro-life view would include improving pre-natal care, more research on miscarriages, and funding for research on the zika virus. Republicans could care less about those issues.

I believe Wrangor is sincere in his beliefs about the lives of the unborn and probably would support such efforts but abortion is simply a moral wedge issue for most politicians.

Unfortunately pro-life concerns end the moment that unwanted is actually born. After that most conservatives would rather see that child fight for scraps in the street, than take a few cents of their tax dollars.

There is no greater hypocrisy in the world. It's also a solid reminder of how full of shit most evangelical Christians are. Their religion is far more of a selfish coping mechanism, than a benevolent belief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back