• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

From a constitutional standpoint probably (in my view, regardless of viability the closer you get to conception the murkier the govt interest becomes. But that's partly because I don't think a fetus is a person).

From a moral or legislative standpoint (i.e. what I think the law should be state to state) absolutely not. I wouldn't vote for a law that banned abortion earlier than the third trimester. Abortion doesn't become a morally squishy issue until 28-29 weeks for me (the earliest point personhood could possibly begin).

It's not possible the human life begins at conception? When a human heart pushes blood through arteries and veins return them back to recirculate? When pain sensations develop?

Not "possible", you say?

It's not possible the human life begins at conception? When a human heart pushes blood through arteries and veins return them back to recirculate? When pain sensations develop?

Not "possible", you say?

Wait...stop it. You ACTUALLY believe that at conception, there is blood running through a heart? Wow. Explains so much...

This is a fascinating discussion. Lots of talk about constitutions and criminal law and bibles. I'm just curious if any of you (probably all, or mostly, men) have any personal experience with abortion or unwanted pregnancies.

youre-joking-right.jpg

Wait...stop it. You ACTUALLY believe that at conception, there is blood running through a heart? Wow. Explains so much...

This is the part where I know you don't believe what you are saying, and you're insecurely lashing out. You can't possibly be dumb enough to have missed the punctuation between those two different sentences (clearly marking the end of one reference to a point in time, and the beginning of a separate reference to another). You're not this dumb, but disappointingly apparently that dishonest.

Get more defensible policies, and you won't have to feign confusion so frequently to avoid defending them.

I think he's saying it's possible that life could begin before 28/29 weeks since the human heart is pushing blood through proper circulation at the 10/11 week mark, in response to the comment that life could not "possibly" begin before 28/29 weeks.

I think he's saying it's possible that life could begin before 28/29 weeks since the human heart is pushing blood through proper circulation at the 10/11 week mark, in response to the comment that life could not "possibly" begin before 28/29 weeks.

Right. Thank you.

This is a fascinating discussion. Lots of talk about constitutions and criminal law and bibles. I'm just curious if any of you (probably all, or mostly, men) have any personal experience with abortion or unwanted pregnancies.

I knew a couple of girls in high school in the 80s who got pregnant and had abortions at Reynolds. Buena Vista girls from 2-parent families who made good grades and went to college and then got married and have beautiful families now.

I know a couple who have a couple of great kids who got pregnant recently in their early 40s and labored over the decision but ultimately decided to terminate.

fucking murderers, right in our midst. :rulz:

The major discussion issue going on here IMO is that JHMD believes pro-choicers are engaging in some ongoing attempt at euphemisms to cover up the discomfort pro-choicers are feeling. For me that's a false assumption since I don't believe that an abortion is killing a baby/person - I believe it is a fetus. I don't need to engage in euphemisms to talk about abortions and the fetus because I don't find it to be a barbaric or immoral process in the least. Therefore I have no reason to need to couch my opinions to "feel better about myself" or whatever other lines were thrown out yesterday alluding to pro-choicers feeling morally "icky." I don't feel icky about my stance in the least. I think reasonable minds can and do differ on abortion (and view abortion differently than I view same-sex marriage or a belief in evolution for instance), but I think for the most part people are just talking past each other on here.

Calling abortion the "slavery of our generation" and saying that pro-choicers are equivocating because of discomfort with their own position is not fruitful to discussion. The former is almost certainly a gross hyperbole (although kudos for consistency on viewing abortion as murder and taking everything in stride that goes along with that initial proclamation) while the latter is fallacious since many pro-choicers do not find abortion barbaric and therefore wouldn't need to equivocate over discomfort.

The major discussion issue going on here IMO is that JHMD believes pro-choicers are engaging in some ongoing attempt at euphemisms to cover up the discomfort pro-choicers are feeling. For me that's a false assumption since I don't believe that an abortion is killing a baby/person - I believe it is a fetus. I don't need to engage in euphemisms to talk about abortions and the fetus because I don't find it to be a barbaric or immoral process in the least. Therefore I have no reason to need to couch my opinions to "feel better about myself" or whatever other lines were thrown out yesterday alluding to pro-choicers feeling morally "icky." I don't feel icky about my stance in the least. I think reasonable minds can and do differ on abortion (and view abortion differently than I view same-sex marriage or a belief in evolution for instance), but I think for the most part people are just talking past each other on here.

Calling abortion the "slavery of our generation" and saying that pro-choicers are equivocating because of discomfort with their own position is not fruitful to discussion. The former is almost certainly a gross hyperbole (although kudos for consistency on viewing abortion as murder and taking everything in stride that goes along with that initial proclamation) while the latter is fallacious since many pro-choicers do not find abortion barbaric and therefore wouldn't need to equivocate over discomfort.

You don't see any insecurity in the proclamation that life couldn't "possibly" begin before the author declares it to be so? No insecurity in foreclosing the possibility of dissenting opinions? That's the absolute certainty called for in filling out a Pyongyang scorecard. Forgive me if I sense a little.

I appreciate that you're willing to push your chips in without apology, and also capable of acknowledging there is at least the remote possibility that others may be reasonable in not agreeing.

I use the term "slavery of our generation" because denying the humanity (in my view, also incorrectly in this century as it was in the 19th) was the same tactic employed. The baby/fetus is the "property" of the mother over which she has sole sovereignty also sounds a bit familiar.

You don't see any insecurity in the proclamation that life couldn't "possibly" begin before the author declares it to be so? No insecurity in foreclosing the possibility of dissenting opinions? That's the absolute certainty called for in filling out a Pyongyang scorecard. Forgive me if I sense a little.

I appreciate that you're willing to push your chips in without apology, and also capable of acknowledging there is at least the remote possibility that others may be reasonable in not agreeing.

I use the term "slavery of our generation" because denying the humanity (in my view, also incorrectly in this century as it was in the 19th) was the same tactic employed. The baby/fetus is the "property" of the mother over which she has sole sovereignty also sounds a bit familiar.

You certainly seem intolerant of dissenting opinions on this issue. So are we to assume you are insecure on your position?

You certainly seem intolerant of dissenting opinions on this issue. So are we to assume you are insecure on your position?

I'm entirely insecure in the idea that another person could look at a third trimester baby and not see human life; to me that's an intolerable position.

Right, because criminal law is a state issue and fetal homicide laws dont infringe on a constitutionally protected right.

Not to mention that many of those laws were passed by pro-life supporters in order to make the point you think you are making here (even though it doesn't apply).

What do you think about the following sentence: "Although the results are divided, most of these courts have agreed that the right of privacy, however based, is broad enough to cover the abortion decision; that the right, nonetheless, is not absolute, and is subject to some limitations; and that, at some point, the state interests as to protection of health, medical standards, and prenatal life, become dominant. We agree with this approach." (emphasis added)

I'm entirely insecure in the idea that another person could look at a third trimester baby and not see human life; to me that's an intolerable position.

i guess we should work on outlawing third trimester abortions

oh wait

Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't noticed anyone advocating that position.

Care to share a quote?

We went through this on page 68.

oh I don't know, birth maybe. Let's not pretend that going from being inside the womb, totally dependent on another specific human to breathing on your own out in the real world is comparable to crossing the street.

Regardless of whether you think a 39 week old fetus is a person, you can't deny that birth brings about a fundamental change in the existence of that being.

So the line has moved from viability to birth? Amazing.

To your credit, you answered the question.

I don't believe in punishing women for getting an abortion. I think if you want to punish doctors who perform abortions in the third trimester in an illegal manner then go for it.

I already answered that twice above.

Here.

And here.

Because a rule without a sanction isn't a rule.

Back