• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Women already are criminalized and jailed for miscarriages, so Wrangor can fuck off with his “it is a certainty they won’t put Mothers in jail” ignorance.

They’ve actually arrested and jailed a woman in the US for this?

Georgia's law lets the state charge women for miscarriages

and also, yeah it happens: that woman was jailed in Alabama after she miscarried after being shot.

and also, yeah it happens: that woman was jailed in Alabama after she miscarried after being shot.

Yes, I’m aware of the laws. I wasn’t sure if they had actually been enforced. I had not heard the story about the woman in Alabama, although not shocked. Without reading it yet, I feel like there’s a bit more to that story though.

Yes, I’m aware of the laws. I wasn’t sure if they had actually been enforced. I had not heard the story about the woman in Alabama, although not shocked. Without reading it yet, I feel like there’s a bit more to that story though.

nah, she got shot. miscarried and was arrested and charged. the charges were dropped this time.

I lurk occasionally. The politics board is a mess. Wake Forest basketball is a mess. I have been cured of my need of this place but can't really help but respond to the snarky comments on abortion. I browse around at times, and enjoy football, but really am just waiting for our next basketball coach. Its difficult to believe Manning is still here.

Glad to see that all is well, and that defending the life of an innocent child is greeted with a 'Fuck You'. Don't ever change Tunnels.

I am fairly certain that any member of the Tunnels would defend the life of an innocent child with their own, but that has nothing to do with abortion.

does it?

On Tuesday, Slate published an article with a not-entirely-accurate headline: “Georgia just criminalized abortion. Women who terminate their pregnancies would receive life in prison.”

It suggested that under the Georgia law, women who terminate their pregnancies would be prosecuted and sentenced to either life in prison or death.

That is incorrect.

“The news headlines and social media headlines that speculate about the bills’ unintended consequences are – at the very least – not productive. At most, they’re harmful,” Planned Parenthood’s Staci Fox told The Post on Friday.

HB 481 could not be used to successfully prosecute women, she argued. But if a woman had a miscarriage, she could be pulled into an investigation looking at whether someone performed an illegal abortion on her.

Have never made it through more than 5 minutes of watching Fox News and that is not an exaggeration. Swing and a miss.

I read them. The Senate brought it up for vote, and you know how many Democrats voted for it? Zero. Yet I am the one who is taking the exaggerated view. If it was even remotely sane, you would think it would receive at least one vote from its creators.

You're either being intentionally disingenuous about the vote or are just ignorant, so, again, par for the course.

So, again I ask, were you ignorant or being intentionally disingenuous in your post above, Good Christian Fellow? You know why no Dems voted for it and it wasn't because of public sentiment. Is Jesus ok with you lying or have all Christians decided that lying is fine now that God appointed Trump? You cheating on your wife now too?

But, sadly, the public is full of mouth breathing idiots who parrot every BS thing they hear in right wing media, much like you in this thread. So, no surprise that they take the bait and hate science. Go back to being a holier than thou lurker.

Last edited:
No. McConnell called the bluff of a stupid bill and they had no choice but to vote against their own stupid proposal. He baited then into a stupid decision and then hooked them into an untenable position.

Doesn’t change the fact that the entire left side of the party went on a media blast the prior week lauding the new green deal and then had to run away from it because the public realized it was complete nonsense.

Still won't talk about your lie about Dems wanting abortions without limits of any kind.

If Wrangor believes up to 95% of abortions are due to "convenience," the logical question would be "How do we make pregnancy, child birth, child rearing, child care, and education less inconvenient?"

If Wrangor believes up to 95% of abortions are due to "convenience," the logical question would be "How do we make pregnancy, child birth, child rearing, child care, and education less inconvenient?"

To Wrangor these are all girls who do it to not let a pregnancy or baby get in the way of their partying and sleeping with multiple people.

That would require the assumption that women, typically poorer women, are rational actors. It’s like when pubs complain about minority voting blocs. They either can’t or won’t accept that folks are taking a good look at the situation and making what they believe to be the best decision for them at that time. If you don’t like the decision folks are making, you could always make the alternative more attractive. However, conservatives seem to prefer to just take away the other option.

At the end of the day, women are choosing to have abortions for the same reason they are choosing not to get pregnant in the first place. We live in a country that is fairly hostile to having kids. From the cost of L&D, childcare, lack of maternity leave, etc.

Remove the ‘pretty’ and you capture my opinion. They are exactly how you coined them. They are concerned with the religion of themselves. Which is why it makes sense to kowtow to Trump.

Non-sequiturs regarding the motives of the GOP or ‘if you really care about babies you would X’ have nothing to do with the issue of ending the life of the child in the womb. They are convenient ways to dodge the issue.

It must feel gross to have to cast your lot with the GOP. “Pro-life party” my ass. They’re lying to you and you know it and you vote for them anyway.

Yes. Serious answer. Rapes, incest, health of the mother actually accounts for much less than 5% of all abortions. I was being generous with the 90%.

Link? I googled and there’s a bunch of pro life sites out there with stats but it’s unclear where those stats come from. Also found some German sounding institute that said 70% were out of “convenience.” Seems like a mixed bag. Happy to take that back if there’s a solid 90% number from a reputable source like the CDC for example.

But yea I think the question “define convenience” is super relevant and important because it’s easy to paint with a broad brush thousands of quite literally poor, faceless women as doing something that is probably very hard and personal for them. Each story of their reason is individual to them and it’s politically convenient to say their decision is...convenient...as if they waltz in like they’re getting a haircut and walk out to head to lunch with friends flippantly. IMO the reality is they’re probably very emotionally wrecked. I’m not saying it’s necessarily morally right, especially beyond certain week marks, but I’m saying it’s an extremely nuanced and individual issue than republicans make it out to be and as men it’s very hard for us to understand.

Remove the ‘pretty’ and you capture my opinion. They are exactly how you coined them. They are concerned with the religion of themselves. Which is why it makes sense to kowtow to Trump.

Non-sequiturs regarding the motives of the GOP or ‘if you really care about babies you would X’ have nothing to do with the issue of ending the life of the child in the womb. They are convenient ways to dodge the issue.

In your or their religion,are people supposed to "kowtow" to a person who has no religion? Who is a bigot? An abuser of women? A proven and continuing racist? A person who breaks the Ten Commandments regularly and for decades?

What kind of religion teaches "kowtowing" to such a person?

Back