• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Protestors storm U.S. Embassy in Cairo

I'm getting better at telling the difference between serious jhmd and troll jhmd. This is troll jhmd.

I thought that JAX Statement was quite Presidential by Romney and he actually took questions which was refreshing.

Romney was in a tough situation, there's no reason why he shouldn't make a statement and the fact that the WH echoed the same sentiment about the stupid Tweet shows that it was worth speaking up about the situation in Egypt.

Is he being a prick about things? I guess you could call it that but Romney's not the type of guy that is gonna sit around with his thumb up his ass. Dude could be POTUS in less than 4 months, he needs to be out there and the American people deserve to hear and see how he'd handle situations like this...

I thought that JAX Statement was quite Presidential by Romney and he actually took questions which was refreshing.

Romney was in a tough situation, there's no reason why he shouldn't make a statement and the fact that the WH echoed the same sentiment about the stupid Tweet shows that it was worth speaking up about the situation in Egypt.

Is he being a prick about things? I guess you could call it that but Romney's not the type of guy that is gonna sit around with his thumb up his ass. Dude could be POTUS in less than 4 months, he needs to be out there and the American people deserve to hear and see how he'd handle situations like this...

You are better than this.

Romney his statement on a LIE. The "apology" was made BEFORE anything happened and wasn't an apology.

This was disgraceful.

Come on you are usually honest.

Okay then, what would Romney do?

Pssstt, Go, you're not towing the Company line. Republicans are saying Romney fucked this up big time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/foreign-policy-hands-voice-disbelief-at-romney-cai

Here is the Rush/Fox spin if Obama addressed this situation 2 weeks ago.......meanwhile our Kenyan president is over in the middle east dealing with protestors while our economy is in the pot. HEADLINE : Obama focuses on protestors instead of struggling economy. You know that is truth too!

Trying to get some work done today (oddly, the Government isn't holding up its end of the "building my business for me" part this a.m., so it looks like I'm on my own again), but will gladly reply tonight. Very short answer: Pull all US assets out, set a deadline for locals to un-foul the sitch, and when they fail, go to the UN for sanctions and authority to use force. Rubber Stamp forthcoming.

It's not the I don't appreciate the fact that I'm hitting close to home, but if he Lima Delta's this one, he's saving Romney from Romneyself. Nobody is dumb enough to roll over and continue to play dead now. He's going to do something very similar to what I describe, and then you guys will have your chance to shower him with praise.

Thanks for laying out some actual actions. I don't really disagree that we need to do more than issue a statement, or that we should go after the group that hit us --- assuming we can actually ID who hit us, and won't simply retaliate against the population, a knee-jerk action which has been proven time and time again to be counterproductive.

Obama gets to be tough and presidential, which is red meat for an incumbent. Meanwhile, while Romney takes dishonest potshots from the sidelines.

Pssstt, Go, you're not towing the Company line. Republicans are saying Romney fucked this up big time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/foreign-policy-hands-voice-disbelief-at-romney-cai

You don't need experts to tell you how badly Romney handled this -- the sick feeling one gets in the gut from listening to a political attack on the president over something like this is more than enough. But, if you want experts, from both sides, this article was a good find.

Mitt Romney's sharply-worded attack on President Obama over a pair of deadly riots in Muslim countries last night has backfired badly among foreign policy hands of both parties, who cast it as hasty and off-key, released before the facts were clear at what has become a moment of tragedy.

Romney keyed his statement to the American Embassy in Cairo's condemnation of an anti-Muslim video that served as the trigger for the latest in a series of regional riots over obscure perceived slights to the faith. But his statement — initially embargoed to avoid release on September 11, then released yesterday evening anyway — came just before news that the American Ambassador to Libya had been killed and broke with a tradition of unity around national tragedies, and of avoiding hasty statements on foreign policy. It was the second time Romney has been burned by an early statement on a complex crisis: Romney denounced the Obama Administration's handling of a Chinese dissident's escape just as the Administration negotiated behind the scenes for his departure from the country.

"They were just trying to score a cheap news cycle hit based on the embassy statement and now it’s just completely blown up," said a very senior Republican foreign policy hand, who called the statement an "utter disaster" and a "Lehman moment" — a parallel to the moment when John McCain, amid the 2008 financial crisis, failed to come across as a steady leader.

Actions I would like to see as a result of these attacks:

1. Increase military presence at embassies and adequate armament of miltary personelle in those embassies sufficient to repel similar and slightly larger attacks.

2. Adjustment in defense budget to compensate for #1.

3. Obama *personally* going to the American embassy in Syria, and declaring it a bastion of democracy. In his speech, he should belabor that intimidation is not an option when trying to harm America.

4. Obama returning to America safely and confidently stating that, while Americans decry such violent acts as those perpatrated by the embassy attackers, that similar attacks will be met with deadly and unrelenting force.

You forgot to mention blowing up the Sphinx, followed by an "oops, don't know what happened, somebody must have hit the wrong button" apology.

Actions I would like to see as a result of these attacks:

1. Increase military presence at embassies and adequate armament of miltary personelle in those embassies sufficient to repel similar and slightly larger attacks.

2. Adjustment in defense budget to compensate for #1.

3. Obama *personally* going to the American embassy in Syria, and declaring it a bastion of democracy. In his speech, he should belabor that intimidation is not an option when trying to harm America.

4. Obama returning to America safely and confidently stating that, while Americans decry such violent acts as those perpatrated by the embassy attackers, that similar attacks will be met with deadly and unrelenting force.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Hopefully we will see it or something similar in the coming days.

Donald Rumsfeld‏@RumsfeldOffice

The attacks on our embassies & diplomats are a result of perceived American weakness. Mitt Romney is right to point that out.

You do realize I'm channeling my inner RJ, don't you?

"Anything that happens on your watch that's bad is your fault. Strict liability for anything that ever came up in a PDB ever. Anything that happens on my watch is my predecessor's fault."

At the very least Obama could deploy our new Russian fleet. His back channel communications with the KGB are already paying dividends. #flexiblebaby

P.S. Ph, check your messages.

Back