• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PSU Hoops - National Media Sees Chambers as Possible Manning Replacement

He's a PA guy. In his entire life, he's only left the state once and it was for two years. PSU can give him a raise. I don't see him leaving.

Joking aside, I agree with this. PSU has the money and I'd imagine a healthy extension is in his future.

With that said, if we do go after an experienced P5 coach we could do a lot worse than Chambers. Yeah it took Chambers 7 seasons to get PSU into the top 10, but if that's the hang up then it's a reductionist one. Penn State state has been to the NCAAT only 4 times in the last 30 years. It's historically been an awful program. You don't fall ass backwards into a top 10 team at Penn State.

Let's be honest -- Pat Chambers would laugh at a Wake offer.

He's only making $900K. I doubt he'd laugh at $2.5M.

But we need to do better. The best he's done is in the B10 is a tie for 5th. Seven out of his nine years there, he's come in 10th or worse.

PASS

If Manning took us to a top ten ranking next year, would anyone change their mind on him and be excited to keep him?

If Manning took us to a top ten ranking next year, would anyone change their mind on him and be excited to keep him?

You have to complete that with- Make the Top 10. Then quickly fall out of Top 25. That is what happened to Chambers.

He's got to be a Tier 3 hire.

You have to complete that with- Make the Top 10. Then quickly fall out of Top 25. That is what happened to Chambers.

He's got to be a Tier 3 hire.

I would put him above Miller and Kelsey, but still below Shaka/Forbes/Willard. If we strike out on all of those, I wouldn’t be totally opposed to Chambers.

I'd take Kelsey over him.

Tier 1:

Matta
Beilien
Shaka

Tier 2:

Forbes
Willard

Kelsey over Chambers is dumb IMO. He’s behind Matta, Beilein and Shaka for me. He’s probably a little behind Forbes but roughly the same tier. He’s slightly ahead of Miller. He’s definitely ahead of Kelsey.

Kelsey over Chambers is dumb IMO. He’s behind Matta, Beilein and Shaka for me. He’s probably a little behind Forbes but roughly the same tier. He’s slightly ahead of Miller. He’s definitely ahead of Kelsey.

Why? Chambers has not done much at PSU. In nine years, Chambers has a ,337 B10 record. Sorry, that's a pass and very close to a hard pass.

He's had plenty of time.

Why? Chambers has not done much at PSU. In nine years, Chambers has a ,337 B10 record. Sorry, that's a pass and very close to a hard pass.

He's had plenty of time.

Chambers has not had much support from fans. PSU also has historically poor facilities. Chambers has had difficulties recruiting good basketball players to PSU. No history of success and poor facilities really hurt. It would be an interesting question whether he could up his recruiting with better facilities and support. Not sure that is a question I want to see answered at Wake.

While he does not completely suck like our last two, wake should do better.

Hopefully much better. Seems like he has a lower ceiling than almost everyone we have talked about including Miller.

While he does not completely suck like our last two, wake should do better.

Hopefully much better. Seems like he has a lower ceiling than almost everyone we have talked about including Miller.
Yeah. Chambers strikes me as a Bruce Weber kind of guy. No idea if he can someday get a Final Four or anything; but just a solid, steady kind of record production. Never too low, consistently slightly above mediocrity. Once a decade or so pulling off a high peak and decent Tourney run.
I'm not against hiring him, just would prefer someone with a likely higher ceiling.

Please Matta or Beliein. We are so due for some competence and professional talent & experience.

Back