• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Puerto Rico... 51st State

I can see a state fantasy draft coming in the near future.

Puerto Rico is terrible. It needs a lot of work just to catch up to a state like Arkansas

I think instead of full membership MIssissippi congressmen are suggesting a separate but equal status for Puerto Rico.

Nah, we should just count them differently. You know, because they're shorter and speak Spanish. I'm thinking three fifths would be a good number.

Mississippi is good with either solution.

I will accept Puerto Rico, but only if they join in all sports including baseball.

Does this make ND to the ACC in football more or less likely?

All jokes aside this would be sweet.

Costa Rica would be the better choice but I don't want our deficit burden on my back up plan.

If the Pubs don't accept what is happening in this country with Latinos, well....

Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens although the ones living in Puerto Rico cannot vote in U.S. elections. Puerto Ricans who are permanent residents of one of the 50 states of D.C. can simply register to vote there. If Obama wins Florida, a good part of his victory will be due to Puerto Ricans living in the central part of the state.

Puerto Rico is a self-governing commonwealth that also had elections Tuesday. A new governor was elected, for example. Of more interest to U.S. residents, however, were two ballot initiatives. The first one asked if residents wanted to change their current status as a commonwealth. The second asked if they were to change it, should Puerto Rico become an independent country or a state of the United States. The winning propositionswere (1) yes, it's time for a new arrangement and (2) Puerto Ricans would like to have the island become a state, like Hawaii.

Since Puerto Ricans are generally Democrats, becoming a new state would mean two new Democratic senators. If D.C. were to become a state, that would mean four new Democratic senators. It should not be hard to guess how a bill in Congress to grant either of them statehood would play out. But if Harry Reid were to bring the matter up and Republicans were to filibuster it, the Republicans would become even less popular with Latinos than they already are.

Puerto Rico can join the states that get cut from the new USA. I have a panel discussing who's in and who's oit right now . I believe junebug is heading up the committee for forming USA #2.

Back