• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pull a Deacon athlete's name out of your butt thread

If you're looking obscure, golfer Tim Saylor would fit the bill. He could play, but due to the number of AA's we had back in his time he was usually the fifth guy in our rotation.

After 200+ posts, Erik Hanson needs to be mentioned. He played 11 years of MLB ball. Also, he was great at pick up hoops and I read where Jose Canseco said he was the best basketball player in baseball at the time.

Roman Wszelaki, John Phillips and Gerry McGowan. Good people to cover your back if all hell broke loose.

Mike Mossbrugger and Nate Bolling. Those dudes were great.

I remember in 2001 after the season finale against Northern Illinois ( game was rescheduled because of 9/11), Nate Bolling was just sitting on the bench by himself after the game reflecting and not wanting to leave the field I suspect.

He worked the front desk at my gym a year or so ago. He got excited when I came in one day wearing a WF polo. Had a good conversation with him. Real nice guy.

Scooby is a good dude. Lived the floor below me in Babcock and was always super nice.

After 200+ posts, Erik Hanson needs to be mentioned. He played 11 years of MLB ball. Also, he was great at pick up hoops and I read where Jose Canseco said he was the best basketball player in baseball at the time.

Wore his Peddie Baseball jacket almost every day. We were the same age/class at Wake. Peddie was his high school. We just referred to him as "Peddie Baseball". Erik later became a really strong amateur golfer. Traveled the country playing in amateur events. I ran across him a few times, he may have even won the Pacific Amateur. Can't remember.

John Leach. Still remember him running up 300 plus yards on Maryland the final game of 1993... of course, in typical Wake fashion we lost by one after blowing a huge lead... ugh.
I'm still thawing out from that game over 20 years later. Man it was cold. One of my best friends at the time was a Maryland fan and came to the game. Still haven't lived down the choke we pulled in the 2nd half.

Saw him pitch in Fenway in '95. Tommy Gregg led the majors in pinch hit homers in '90.

Last edited:
Back