• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pull a Deacon athlete's name out of your butt thread

Steve Warden. Basketball, mid 80s.

I remember 2 things about Steve. One, Carl Tacy subbed in Warden when he was a freshman to shoot free throws for David Toms with like 30 seconds left in a game against Ga Tech. Apparently, for some unknown reason, Tacy asked Toms to fake an injury so he could get him out of the game and let Warden shoot the 2 foul shots even though Warden was just a freshman. It was bizarre. And Warden missed both and we lost by 1 point. It seemed like Tacy was losing his mind and his staff and players and he was gone a couple weeks later.

The other thing I remember about Steve Warden is that after college - and I think he and I were the same class - I was in Krispy Kreme in Charlotte on Independence late one night like a year after graduating and I saw Warden in there and he was the manager of that Krispy Kreme.

You must have a terrible memory if you think if you think Carl Tacy left a few weeks after that game at Georgia Tech. That game was in 1983. Carl took WF to the Elite Eight the next year and didn't resign until after the year after that.....on July 15th, 1985.

You must have a terrible memory if you think if you think Carl Tacy left a few weeks after that game at Georgia Tech. That game was in 1983. Carl took WF to the Elite Eight the next year and didn't resign until after the year after that.....on July 15th, 1985.

It was almost two years after he blatantly cheated in that game that he left.

I was there too. I thought it was so neat that NW warmed up to "Sweet Georgia Brown" and Scott did those reverse dunks.

Guy and Robert Flynt were very good athletes.

Warming up to Sweet Georgia Brown was great. Robert Flynt still lives in the same area, don't know about Guy. Remember the NF - EF games at the old coliseum? They drew more fans to watch the Vikings - Eagles high school games in those days than the Deacs can draw now.

Warming up to Sweet Georgia Brown was great. Robert Flynt still lives in the same area, don't know about Guy. Remember the NF - EF games at the old coliseum? They drew more fans to watch the Vikings - Eagles high school games in those days than the Deacs can draw now.

Yes, very fond memories. Great games, great competition and crowds. Remember Julian Gibson getting a ride in a wheelbarrow after beating EF?

Don Mulnix? Was supposed to be the big man that basketball needed and was from Colorado. But in true Deacon fashion, he slipped on ice here and ruined his knee.

My bad on the spelling.............it's been a while

In the spirit of our up coming bowl game (sorta), Craig Dawson. Was at the Temple game in 2000 when he went off.

Digit Laughridge - Late 60's
Football: Defensive Halfback, Punter, Punt Returner
Baseball: 3rd Baseman

Back