• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pull a Deacon athlete's name out of your butt thread

James Brim. Pretty sure he had a huge game in one of the scab games during the nfl strike.

Steve Warden. Basketball, mid 80s.

I remember 2 things about Steve. One, Carl Tacy subbed in Warden when he was a freshman to shoot free throws for David Toms with like 30 seconds left in a game against Ga Tech. Apparently, for some unknown reason, Tacy asked Toms to fake an injury so he could get him out of the game and let Warden shoot the 2 foul shots even though Warden was just a freshman. It was bizarre. And Warden missed both and we lost by 1 point. It seemed like Tacy was losing his mind and his staff and players and he was gone a couple weeks later.

The other thing I remember about Steve Warden is that after college - and I think he and I were the same class - I was in Krispy Kreme in Charlotte on Independence late one night like a year after graduating and I saw Warden in there and he was the manager of that Krispy Kreme.

John toms. I have a vague memory of toms airballing 2 free throws in a row.

John toms used to stand 5 feet behind the free throw line, take two steps and shoot (and usually miss). Strangest free throw rountine I have ever seen. He was a good shooter too and once scored 26 on the tar heels.

Stars, eh?

Junior Moore, Terry "T-Bone" Kucharcek, Chuck Ramsey, Ed Bradley, Ed Stetz

Non-stars- Steve Komondorea, Alan Rogers, Ted "Turtle" Waite

I think in 1971 the leading receiver had something like 5 or 6 receptions. QB Larry Russell had something like 30 or so completions for the entire season.

Last edited:
Stars, eh?

I think in 1971 the leading receiver had something like 5 or 6 receptions. QB Larry Russell had something like 30 or so completions for the entire season.

But Russell did do one thing no one else has--make a tackle when he wasn't one of the 11 players on the field.

Steve Warden.

I'm betting 95% don't remember that name.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

But Russell did do one thing no one else has--make a tackle when he wasn't one of the 11 players on the field.

I was at that game. Miserable game-long rain on a Saturday night at Carter-Finley in 1971. Fortunately, our seats were about 8 rows or so back under the overhang from the upper deck, so we were able to stay relatively dry. That game was played on my wife's 22nd birthday. I got the feeling that she didn't think watching a football game in a pouring rain was much of a birthday present.

(Had the exact same weather at Chapel Hill two weeks later when we lost 7-3 after getting that terrible spot on a 4th down play inside the Carolina 10 yard line late in the game. I was there for that one, too. Then, a week after the Carolina game, we lost 10-9 to Clemson. That WF team finished 6-5...but it could have very easily finished 9-2.)

Also, speaking of Larry Russell, I don't know how many posters are aware of this:

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072909aac.html

Last edited:
You must have a terrible memory if you think if you think Carl Tacy left a few weeks after that game at Georgia Tech. That game was in 1983. Carl took WF to the Elite Eight the next year and didn't resign until after the year after that.....on July 15th, 1985.

Go easy. If I miss on one date 30 years ago I certainly hope it doesn't mean that I have a terrible memory. Relax. I certainly knew that Tacy left in 1985 as that was my junior year. Just got my story a little fouled up.

Here's a good little article on all that.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/07/17/sports/scouting-many-questions-at-wake-forest.html

Stars, eh?

We sat near Russell at the Orange Bowl, dude was a riot to my 18 year old self.

Mike Elkins

C.J. Leak

Sam Ivy

Derrick McQueen

Derrick McQueens's calves

Robert Siler (from?)

Charlie Harrison

Stan King

Last edited:
Tarence Williams - hall mate from my Palmer days
Fabian Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Knox, the legendary Lambda Chi quarterback and the only Wake b-ball player to ever get into a fight with David Thompson.

Bill Armstrong. Consensus AA at safety in 1976.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back