• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Purity Balls: lol wut?

I thought this was about different balls completely. This is only slightly less disturbing.

There is something very creepy about this whole thing. Among the many disturbing things in the article the idea of the father as "High Priest" of the family, might be the most worrisome for me. There is nothing in Christianity (as I understand it) that makes this idea acceptable. And when you add in the whole "married to the Lord and your father is your boyfriend" statement, it seems to be advocating an extremely unhealthy familial relationship.

Jesus would think this is creepy and he's a really forgiving guy... (rimshot)

I like the idea of Father-daughter date nights and maybe a Daddy-Daughter dance but this is taking stuff to an extreme level.
Sounds like a redneck mutation of the Debutante system maybe?

Man, if you're THAT concerned about your daughter getting some D, just don't have kids.

Just teach them self respect and they can take care of the D on their own.

Trust me, a majority of fathers forget all this shit once the first grandkid comes.

Just teach them self respect and they can take care of the D on their own.

Trust me, a majority of fathers forget all this shit once the first grandkid comes.

I have some friends who grew up in this sort of stuff and survived to become adults. This isn't about the girls. This is about the fathers and power. It's a sect of Christianity that believes in overt control by the "federal head" over his family, particularly his wife and girls. It's abusive and disgusting, and ultimately hypocritical as it's often accompanied by actual sexual abuse and coverups from these same men. A few of the leaders in the various associated movements have been exposed for sexual abuse, rape, etc lately. It's on par in many ways with the Mormon stuff in the Utah deserts.

Last edited:
To be fair, we're talking about ~100 people in a nation of 300 million.

We are? One of the first lines of the artical is:
"Purity balls now take place in 48 states in the US, and in 17 countries"

Hell, through friends of friends, I've probably met nearly 100 girls who took a pledge of purity very similar to this as the result of the cultish sect of Christianity they were brought up in.

Last edited:
I have some friends who grew up in this sort of stuff and survived to become adults. This isn't about the girls. This is about the fathers and power. It's a sect of Christianity that believes in overt control by the "federal head" over his family, particularly his wife and girls. It's abusive and disgusting, and ultimately hypocritical as it's often accompanied by actual sexual abuse and coverups from these same men. A few of the leaders in the various associated movements have been exposed for sexual abuse, rape, etc lately. It's on par in many ways with the Mormon stuff in the Utah deserts.

Great points and you've nailed it.

I think you pretty much nailed it. There are more complex gender dynamics at play though. The same standard is almost never placed on sons.

I think you pretty much nailed it. There are more complex gender dynamics at play though. The same standard is almost never placed on sons.

No doubt. It's pretty much the extreme of "boys rule, girls drool" packaged up in a "because God says so, and I'm going to punish you and you're going to go to hell if you don't obey me" package, with a side of sexual, physical and mental abuse.

I think the idea of a father taking his daughter on weekly 'dates' is neat, but this is taking it too far. No kissing until marriage? What a joke...

What, y'all aren't down with the Duggar side hug? (The Duggars of the 19 kids and counting fame). Incidentally, I never see anything about the Duggar boys dating. No doubt different rules apply.

363eac10-a653-0131-d449-0e3c86e5b71e.jpg

What, y'all aren't down with the Duggar side hug? (The Duggars of the 19 kids and counting fame). Incidentally, I never see anything about the Duggar boys dating. No doubt different rules apply.

363eac10-a653-0131-d449-0e3c86e5b71e.jpg

Based on the show, the same rules seem to apply. The Duggars seem really weird, and I'm certain I would disagree with them on most everything, but they are a bad example of the harmful side of these family dynamics (at least based on what is presented on the show for what that's worth).

Last edited:

The Duggar's are big supporters of Bill Gothard, who was recently brought down after years and years of covered up sexual abuse. I've met girls who were abused by that man and his followers. I've met girls who were abused only to have their own father's cover up for the abusers when told of the abuse by their daughters. The whole purity ball, purity ring, "I am my father's until I am my husband's" idea is a direct result of the misogynistic teachings he promoted.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...te-resignation-sexual-harassment-allegations/

On some levels, the sexual abuse isn't the worst stuff that comes out of Gothard's ATI Training center. There's abuse and misogyny on every level, and the Duggars are right in the middle of it. Suicidal girls are locked into rooms for weeks at a time with "trained" teenagers who are on suicide watch and who attempt to pray away whatever evil they believe is causing the girl to want to die. Girls are absolutely taught that their job in life is to be a good wife, work in the home, and raise a "quiverfull" of kids, no matter what harm it causes their bodies...they are failures if they can't provide that to their husbands. Some girls actually become so de-sexualized while at ATI that they stop their monthly cycle all together.

Last edited:
Based on the show, the same rules seem to apply. The Duggars seem really weird, and I'm certain I would disagree with them on most everything, but they are a bad example of the harmful side of these family dynamics (at least based on what is presented on the show for what that's worth).

I dunno man, they seem super sketch. I can't imagine their kids end up having normal relationships. Maybe some will, but it will be despite their parents, not because of them.

We are? One of the first lines of the artical is:
"Purity balls now take place in 48 states in the US, and in 17 countries"

Hell, through friends of friends, I've probably met nearly 100 girls who took a pledge of purity very similar to this as the result of the cultish sect of Christianity they were brought up in.

What do you do or where do you go that brings you in contact with this type of culture?

Back