• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Purity Balls: lol wut?

This thread led me to watch "Jesus Camp" on Netflix - so creepy

Last edited:
This thread led me to watch "Jesus Camp" on Netflix - so creepy

it's on netflix now!?!! i've been wanting to watch that FOREVER. totally forgot about it and haven't looked for it in a while. this is awesome, i know what i'm watching tomorrow.

Do father-daughter dances have a place on the creepy continuum?

On the 1-10 scale its like a 1 if its a little girl.

If its a 16 year old, then its like a 6.

Who thinks up these purity balls anyways? It just seems so foreign and sticky-icky to me.

What do you do or where do you go that brings you in contact with this type of culture?

Mostly via my wife who was on the fringe of some of these orgs growing up until her parents realized just how whack the leadership was. Her dad was moved around (both in the States and internationally) a lot with IBM early on, so her parents decided to home school her and her brother for some consistency...a lot of this culture gets mixed up into that world. In addition to molesting girls and praying away the gay, Gothard produced some home schooling, leadership training, character improvement, etc materials that were entry points into his little cult. One of of the articles I read recently about Gothard was quoting a lot of secular and government orgs who had been using his leadership training without any idea that it was connected to a religious cult's "training center."

Anyway, within that setting, she saw a bunch of the abuse without being subjected to much of it, luckily. There are more people than you know who were part of this sort of culture growing up, but most keep it pretty much to themselves out of shame/embarassment, which is part of the reason the abuses have gone on so long. It's really been the last 5-6 years that social media has allowed folks to connect, start telling their stories and realize that it wasn't just them.

Churches.

There's that as well. The church I attend tends to get a lot of those who have been fucked over and abused in the name of God.

Last edited:
It's sad that stuff like purity balls bastardizes the legitimate concept of a father caring for his daughter

I feel like Brangus should post on this thread. It seems like his balls were getting too pure.

It's sad that stuff like purity balls bastardizes the legitimate concept of a father caring for his daughter

Paraphrasing Chris Rock, but "some shit like, "I take care of my kids." You're supposed to, you dumb motherfucker! What kind of ignorant shit is that? "I ain't never been to jail!" What do you want, a cookie?! You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectation-having motherfucker!"

Reminds me of Promisekeepers.

OH you're gonna be a good husband now? Congrats. Most of us do that on our own and we don't have to get together to pound our chests and hand out bumper stickers.

Reminds me of Promisekeepers.

OH you're gonna be a good husband now? Congrats. Most of us do that on our own and we don't have to get together to pound our chests and hand out bumper stickers.

My grandfather was a Promisekeeper and emotionally abusive to my grandmother until he died. I don't have a high opinion of that group.

There is something very creepy about this whole thing. Among the many disturbing things in the article the idea of the father as "High Priest" of the family, might be the most worrisome for me. There is nothing in Christianity (as I understand it) that makes this idea acceptable. And when you add in the whole "married to the Lord and your father is your boyfriend" statement, it seems to be advocating an extremely unhealthy familial relationship.

Yeah, the father as family "High Priest" is downright pagan, as in ancient Roman pagan. Weren't the early Christians determined to distance themselves from paganism? Strange.

Yeah, the father as family "High Priest" is downright pagan, as in ancient Roman pagan. Weren't the early Christians determined to distance themselves from paganism? Strange.

The idea of the father as the "High Priest" for the family implies that the salvation of the family comes through their father. This makes the rest of the family dependent on the father in an unhealthy way that can lead to lots of abuse. "You had better do as I say if you want to go to heaven. God told me that as High Priest of our family, I am your boyfriend." (And need to teach you what men and women do together.)

Back