• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Alec Morris commits to Wake

We have 5 scholarship players at QB. Only one will have graduated by the time Morris is a rFR. If none of them leave, he'll be our 6th scholarship QB and 9th QB overall next year.

Between QB and OL, we've got a ton of players.

We've give one scholly to a QB each year so he's next year. We generally have 5 scholly QBs at one time. The other 4 QBs, other than Thompson, are walk-ons. Thompson is likely to be moved to another position.

We've give one scholly to a QB each year so he's next year. We generally have 5 scholly QBs at one time. The other 4 QBs, other than Thompson, are walk-ons. Thompson is likely to be moved to another position.

Exactly

Was he a package deal for his brother cause I really am scratching my head as to why he is always mentioned as switching positions but never does. I'd guess that 5 scholarship qb's is a bit much but might be necessary when you can't count on qb's to stay healthy.

Almost every college team in the country has at least four QBs at any given time. Many have five. It's not unheard of to have six.

Was he a package deal for his brother cause I really am scratching my head as to why he is always mentioned as switching positions but never does. I'd guess that 5 scholarship qb's is a bit much but might be necessary when you can't count on qb's to stay healthy.

He was actually listed at TE (maybe LB?) before getting to campus, then he was moved to QB. There was an article about it when it happened.

I'm aware many schools have 5 or even 6 QBs. This is the first time I remember Wake having 5 scholarship QBs. It wasn't too long ago that we had a walk-on take crucial snaps in a big game for us.

My guess is it's the equivalent of having a good utility man. Last year when all our QBs, and I mean all of them, were dinged up save maybe Skylar, Thompson was a very nice insurance piece at QB.

If we suddenly lose three TEs - which has happened before -- bingo Thompson. I'm gonna assume he's not a problem kid and he works in class, so thus the scholly. He's our Brooks Conrad. Hopefully, he won't commit three errors in a big game.

But again, we have taken one QB a year for a while. With the 5th year rule, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of our redshirt QBs, if they aren't the starter at the end of their 4th year at Wake, graduate and take a 5th year somewhere else a la SKylar. That rule I believe dies at some point, but not sure when. But that makes taking a QB who can look at our roster and be willing to redshirt a little more important

Last edited:
Wow that's a lot nicer than Wallace Wade. Maybe we could replace Dooook with Allen HS

I heard somewhere that if you have a lot at one poistion that means you don't have the one at that position.

that is an awful time to use that saying. Stanfork amd OU both have several qb's on the team and I dont think they have many qb issues.

This. His arm & elbow seem to stay very low.

Phillip Rivers says hello.

Actually, Phillip was a 2 star TE prospect out of Alabama. Alabama and Auburn looked at him at TE. They both agreed that QB was out of the question. -- see Jim Kelly and Joe Paterno's insistence "you are a LB kid...I know about these things"

As for Alec Morris...his motion looks a helluva lot better than Rivers' and seems fine to me...he actually looks like the 2 star kid from Kernersville now starting for Maryland (Danny O'Brien)

Welcome Alex! Now we have 2 QB's who played in gyms bigger than Groves!

My guess is it's the equivalent of having a good utility man. Last year when all our QBs, and I mean all of them, were dinged up save maybe Skylar, Thompson was a very nice insurance piece at QB.

If we suddenly lose three TEs - which has happened before -- bingo Thompson. I'm gonna assume he's not a problem kid and he works in class, so thus the scholly. He's our Brooks Conrad. Hopefully, he won't commit three errors in a big game.

But again, we have taken one QB a year for a while. With the 5th year rule, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of our redshirt QBs, if they aren't the starter at the end of their 4th year at Wake, graduate and take a 5th year somewhere else a la SKylar. That rule I believe dies at some point, but not sure when. But that makes taking a QB who can look at our roster and be willing to redshirt a little more important

At TE we also have Jeff Garcia back...he has recovered nicely and though a little rusty has gotten back up to 250 pounds plus. Still want to bring him back slowly but he could go if in a pinch.

he also had an offer from North Texas according to DeaconsIllustrated.com

so, who is the better prospect: Sousa or Morris?

I think right now that's a tough thing to judge since there's a year between them. But I will say this... Kevin Sousa is a kid who will require a lot of coaching, but his upside is unbelievable. He only completed a bit more than 50% of his passes as a senior in high school, but he's been playing for such a short time that you have to look at the big picture: former basketball star with a strong arm, great athleticism, and a hunger to be "the best" (talk to him for 5 minutes and you'll see that he wants to be the best at whatever he does). If Sousa had been put into a position like Tanner was last year, it's hard to believe, but it probably would have been worse. He's got a lot of learning to do, but again, monster upside.

Morris comes out of one of the biggest high school factories in Texas. Allen is consistently in the 5A playoffs in Texas, and they run a spread offense that these kids learn from their time in middle school (much like at Southlake). Quarterbacks from Allen know all about the fundamentals of their position, the way the offense works, and how to be a winner. Morris is probably a guy who could come in and produce more right away, but I don't know if his ceiling is as high as Sousa's. Hope that helps.

Silly discussion. Pretty much every program in the country takes a QB with each class. Five classes (with redshirt year) = 5 QBs, right?

Back