• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

QB Going Forward

12 of 21 with 1 td, 2 pics, and 150 yards does not give me a lot of confidence. If kern is back, I would go with him.

14 of 22 with 0 TDs, 0 picks, but 2 fumbles, with 5 sacks and 166 yards in a loss gives you more confidence?

Neither are that good but Santino led a game winning TD drive in one of the most thrilling finishes in Wake football history.

One of Santino's picks was a timing/route issue imo, the other was just thrown up as a grab (and probably didn't need to be forcing in that situation either) so hopefully a learning moment.

Santino did look like the most capable running QB of the 3 we've seen play so far, not a super high bar I know, but that's another point in his favor.

ETA if Grimes pulls in that first TD his stat line obviously looks even better, that throw was on the money.

He didn't have much of a play book to work with and Pitt is awful, but he didn't panic in the pocket, which is better than the guy who started the year. Also seemed to keep his eyes upfield when he was scrambling and made passes coming towards the line of scrimmage.

This stat line does not tell the tale of the progression of the game, nor the eye test, nor the play calling imposed upon a first time starter.
Agree. Sure he had some not so good looking throws. But also had some drops. And several plays where the play calling leading to 3rd and longs put him in horrible spots. But at winning time he came up huge when needed.

I don’t think he as good of a quarterback in terms of accuracy and reading the defense as Griffis, but he has so much better pocket awareness - when to break the pocket, when to hunker and take the sack and not fumble. And he looks much more comfortable running the ball. His ball has more zip and downfield throws (all 2 of them) had more power (1 of 2 on accuracy).

Kern is probably a better passer all around - accuracy, reads, etc. but is a statue in the pocket and no threat to run.

I think with more experience, the added value of pulling the ball and running for where our offense is right now, that he should get the start.

However - making fast reads and not panicking is essential against FSU (see Duke backup last night), it gives me pause for Marucci, but good lord Griffis would be eaten alive.

Without his throws at the end it could be debated...The way everyonevelevated their game and his ability to win that game ends the debate! #GreatSantino
If grimes catches the two balls that he should have it would have looked a lot better

Back