• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question about D12 (potentially) to Clippers

piratedeac92

Reaction score
I've been reading a bunch of articles. I see where D12 could sign as a free agent in many places such as Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. But anytime I read something about him going to the Clippers...they are talking about a sign and trade that would include Bledsoe and Griffin.

My question is why couldn't D12 couldn't just sign with them? I have already looked at their cap situation and it seems like that could be a roadblock because they have a lot already tied up to players. However, if the were to amnesty Caron Butler (8M) and dump Jordan (10M) to a team like Toronto or Charlotte who needs a big man for a crappy pick (much like what Miami did to get LBJ)... Then why couldn't this work? They also have many expiring contracts. They are smart men. Griffen has 16M tied up to him....but he is worth it. If CP and DH would both sign deals much like how LBJ, Wade and Bosh did (averaging 13-15M each)...then they could make this work I think. They could also probably convince guys like Billups and Odom to sign for very little money because those guys want to win.

They could then also use Bledsoe in a trade to move up and get a high draft pick...or simply keep him because he is a solid player.

Is there something I'm missing here? Or is this just way to complicated to happen. I just don't understand why Howard couldn't sign with them.

Here are their players under contract for next year according to hoops hype

Jordan 10.9M
Griffin 16.4M
Butler 8M
Crawford 5.2M
Bledsoe 2.6M
W Green 1.4M (Team Option)
Total 45M (cap set at 58M)

Free Agents..

Matt Barnes
Billups
Hollins
Odom
Paul
Turiaf

Last edited:
Butler was signed after the lockout, so he can't be amnestied. Even if he could dump Butler they have 42.75 million between blake, Crawford, Bledsoe and CP3. Salary cap is $58 million. You have to reserve a rookie minimum salary for up to 12 roster spots that counts against the cap (8 players *490,000) so that's another $4 million for a total of $46.75 million.

Leaves them only about $11 million dollars to offer Dwight, even if they got rid of Caron and DeAndre for nothing.

Wouldn't he get > $$ from a sign and trade?

I hope the Clips don't trade Bledsoe for KG. Why trade a good young player for a guy with only a couple of good years remaining? If they're going to trade a guy, they should trade DeAndre Jordan or Griffin. They're pretty much the same player - talented bigs who are flashy and can dunk the shite out of the ball but who aren't great offensive scorers otherwise.

Wouldn't he get > $$ from a sign and trade?

I hope the Clips don't trade Bledsoe for KG. Why trade a good young player for a guy with only a couple of good years remaining? If they're going to trade a guy, they should trade DeAndre Jordan or Griffin. They're pretty much the same player - talented bigs who are flashy and can dunk the shite out of the ball but who aren't great offensive scorers otherwise.

New rules don't allow guys to get that extra money by a sign and trade. If they want to leave, they have to be willing to take less money.

DeAndre Jordan for KG is a good trade. DeAndre is an Unrestricted free agent in 2 years, so may leave anyways, and 2 years is all you get out of KG. Makes them title contenders because KG plays better defense, and they can post up Blake and KG can play high, ala Gasol and Zbo. Celtics wanted 2 first rounders, Clippers only wanted to offer one. Sterling also likely didn't want to pay $35 million to a coach.

Clips already used their amnesty on the immortal Ryan Gomes

technically it could happen if CP3 and Dwight were willing to sign for around $14 million each. But then you're asking CP3 to give up $27 million in guaranteed money and Dwight to give up $46 million.

No chance the Lakers trade Howard to the Clippers unless they get Blake Griffin back in return - the Lakers don't like that they had to play second fiddle in their own building last year and aren't going to make a trade that allows that trend to continue into the future.

I think the Lakers/Clippers dislike is overblown. Sterling bought the team because Buss encouraged him to because they were friends.

Unfortunately Jerry is now six feet under

ETA: And don't forget that when Jerry urged Sterling to buy the Clippers they played in San Diego and after Sterling moved the team to LA, Buss didn't let the Clippers play in the Forum.

Last edited:
Realistically, if a guy says "Sign and trade me to X" or I'll go to "Y", the team has no reason not to do it unless they want nothing X has in return other than pride. Lakers though are in a spot they might tell Howard to GFYO because they want cap room for when Lebron might be a FA.

Realistically, if a guy says "Sign and trade me to X" or I'll go to "Y", the team has no reason not to do it unless they want nothing X has in return other than pride. Lakers though are in a spot they might tell Howard to GFYO because they want cap room for when Lebron might be a FA.

Lakers only have Nash under contract after next season, so even if they sign Howard to a long-term deal they are still in a great spot to sign LeBron or another top flight free agent in 2014.

Lakers only have Nash under contract after next season, so even if they sign Howard to a long-term deal they are still in a great spot to sign LeBron or another top flight free agent in 2014.

Kobe ain't retiring and he won't be cheap.

Unfortunately Jerry is now six feet under

ETA: And don't forget that when Jerry urged Sterling to buy the Clippers they played in San Diego and after Sterling moved the team to LA, Buss didn't let the Clippers play in the Forum.

Buss was pissed for years at Sterling for not moving the Clippers to Anaheim.

Kobe ain't retiring and he won't be cheap.

If the Lakers are smart, there's no way they pay him anywhere close to the $30M he's due next season for another season in 2014-2015. Hell, I wouldn't resign Kobe for half that price unless his recovery from his injury is simply out of this world.

He wont make that much but he will get paid, definitely at least 15 mil a year.

I could see Kobe playing on the cheap for a ring. If they keep Dawight they can pick up a Deng/Granger type and if Dwight leaves they'll get a Bogut/Gortat type. Or keep Pau. Get everyone on board for cheap and they can afford a bench too.

The selfless Tim Duncan, who is the ultimate team player and was older, still signed a 3 year contract at 10 million per. Can't see Kobe even going that low.

I'd love to see hobbled Kobe come off the bench for the Spurs.

The selfless Tim Duncan, who is the ultimate team player and was older, still signed a 3 year contract at 10 million per. Can't see Kobe even going that low.

I can if it lands them another stud. Dude will care more about rings 18 months from now than he will now. It will be his PR move of "devotion to the Lakers" and tbh he should do it as a thanks for not amnestying him.

Back