• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question To Bzz Outers.. What make Bz such a bad coach?

Wellman thought he was making a home run hire. You are looking too deeply into this.

thanks man. i thought we made peace a year or so ago. but it is what it is.

We did? The only thing I remember about you is who your dad is and that he is a racist that uses the term "gooks" to describe Asian people in PMs to other posters. #whataswellguy

My point of leaving stats from the firebz site out of it, is that site was made in a biased manner to market and persuade.

As for this complete bullshit. The firebz.com site uses statistics and nothing else. Just facts. National writers have given it praise for being so straight-forward without any crazy rhetoric to muddy the waters.

The numbers of this clown's tenure are what they are. That isn't propaganda or anything else near that. They are just facts. And just because you don't like those facts because they don't fit into your cushy (read: really dumb) philosophy of ignoring anything wrong with Wake sports, doesn't make them any less true. Nor does it make you the super fan that you think it does.

Ignore them all you want and pretend they don't exist. Fine, whatever. Just don't start a thread about Jeff [Redacted] and then say you do not want to talk about his actual statistics as a coach. That's just so stupid. I would say, "and you know it," but I'm not sure that you do. My opinion of your intelligence is that low.

As for this complete bullshit. The firebz.com site uses statistics and nothing else. Just facts. National writers have given it praise for being so straight-forward without any crazy rhetoric to muddy the waters.

The numbers of this clown's tenure are what they are. That isn't propaganda or anything else near that. They are just facts. And just because you don't like those facts because they don't fit into your cushy (read: really dumb) philosophy of ignoring anything wrong with Wake sports, doesn't make them any less true. Nor does it make you the super fan that you think it does.

Ignore them all you want and pretend they don't exist. Fine, whatever. Just don't start a thread about Jeff [Redacted] and then say you do not want to talk about his actual statistics as a coach. That's just so stupid. I would say, "and you know it," but I'm not sure that you do. My opinion of your intelligence is that low.

DV7, this thread poses a question to the buzzouters about what they dislike about Bz.'s coaching methods, including things like in game situations, substitutions, defensive/offensive schemes, post game interviews, public appearances and such...

The purpose of a coaches role from Wikipedia:

"Coaching, when referring to getting coached by a professional coach, is a teaching, training or development process in which an individual gets support while learning to achieve a specific personal or professional result or goal."

The role of an upper tier D1 program also includes more than that... Things like PR skills, recruiting, ect...

This topic is intended to be more of a critical thinking and situational discussion. The reason that that the stats from firebz were asked not be included or heavily mentioned in this particular thread is because most of us have already been to the firebz site and know what the numbers are as well as the intention of the site. The stats from firebz don't show positivity. There are stats that could show positivity, but those stats have been omitted from the site.

While the stats on firebz have been kept up to date and have been true, the following is also true:
-You have publicly rooted against Wake Forest as a Wake Forest fan. (You are old enough to have been alive when Wake was very bad and played at the old "Barn" and had regular season games at Greensboro Coliseum)
-You have staged protests about Coach Bz. at games that Wake won (Good Luck Charm Maybe!)
-National writers have noticed your efforts because it is news. What you have done is impressive. You have rebelled against the athletic dept, created your own message board/website, and seem to be a cult hero. That's very impressive because you started a movement and have a lot of followers. Kudos.
-You have insulted me and called me a failed DJ when you have never seen me DJ at an event.
-You have yet to tell me why bz is a bad coach besides pointing to the stats on the firebz site.

Last edited:
I personally don't give a fuck anymore. Either go all-in with football/bball and break some rules but win or wrap it up and whore it out to become a top 15 school (which I think is more likely than winning a NC in a revenue sport). Mediocrity is horseshit.

This topic is intended to be more of a critical thinking and situational discussion. The reason that that the stats from firebz were asked not be included or heavily mentioned in this particular thread is because most of us have already been to the firebz site and know what the numbers are as well as the intention of the site. The stats from firebz don't show positivity. There are stats that could show positivity, but those stats have been omitted from the site.

Please tell me what statistics from the Buzz era (error) are positive? Our home winning %? Sure, it's a heck of a lot better than our road winning %, but I sure as hell wouldn't call it an overall positive.

Why is Wellman or BUZZ in affiliated with basketball whatsoever, they are both complete morons at what they do!!

It says it all on FireBz.com. And saying F you to somebody is even more embarrassing to why he is a disrespectful coach and a loser.

djev –

Intangibles (See! No stats!). Knowledge, prep, leadership, experience, etc. will get you the job. But there’s an added something that motivates your players to run through walls for you (and for the team) which often provides the winning edge when so many other pieces are equal. Winning coaches are able to tap that but I’m not at all clear that’s true of our current coach.

I’m not bright enough to dive deeper on this, but there seems to be a core ‘insanity for winning’ that some coaches have.. to be sure, they exhibit it differently (Knight, K, Ol’ Roy, Calhoun come to mind with the “I’ll run your ass off after I stab myself with the chalk and rip this fucking chalkboard off the wall”.. versus Brad, Shaka, Jimmy B, Jimmy V, Calipari, Pitino, etc’s approach of “Yo… chest bump..I’m one of you… here’s the ball.. go play hard ‘cause I care about you”…

As an aside, I put Tacy and Skip closer to the latter camp, Odom closer to the former. Interpret it how you like, but [Redacted] doesn’t really make the cut in either camp.

FireBz.com just gives statistics. It simply, very simply in fact, shows the man's record in statistics anyone can understand. Djev, the simple fact is he is a failure as a head coach. In my experience in sports and business I have found that numbers seldom lie.

djev –

Intangibles (See! No stats!). Knowledge, prep, leadership, experience, etc. will get you the job. But there’s an added something that motivates your players to run through walls for you (and for the team) which often provides the winning edge when so many other pieces are equal. Winning coaches are able to tap that but I’m not at all clear that’s true of our current coach.

I’m not bright enough to dive deeper on this, but there seems to be a core ‘insanity for winning’ that some coaches have.. to be sure, they exhibit it differently (Knight, K, Ol’ Roy, Calhoun come to mind with the “I’ll run your ass off after I stab myself with the chalk and rip this fucking chalkboard off the wall”.. versus Brad, Shaka, Jimmy B, Jimmy V, Calipari, Pitino, etc’s approach of “Yo… chest bump..I’m one of you… here’s the ball.. go play hard ‘cause I care about you”…

As an aside, I put Tacy and Skip closer to the latter camp, Odom closer to the former. Interpret it how you like, but [Redacted] doesn’t really make the cut in either camp.

good post.

DV7, this thread poses a question to the buzzouters about what they dislike about Bz.'s coaching methods, including things like in game situations, substitutions, defensive/offensive schemes, post game interviews, public appearances and such...

This is so easy that it is slapping you in the face and you are too stupid to realize it. Most of us fans aren't versed in the art of basketball enough to pick out the intricacies of each game and tell how well coached it is, but we do know that since bzzzz has been at wake forest we have been epically bad and that's all we care about. You dig deeper and find the same thing happened when he was at Colorado and that's all we want need to know. He sucks.

Same thing with restaurants. I don't know a thing about being a chef, but I do know if the food sucks. I don't care if someone tells me the chef used the best cooking techniques if he used the wrong ingredients or combined them wrong he still sucks as a chef because he chooses the ingredients. I also don't really care if he takes over a 5 star restaurant and on day 1 serves pies made from dog shit and on day 2 all he does is cooked a steak on the grill for 8 hours and serve it alongside undercooked potatoes. That's not improvement.

Basically it boils down to this. It doesn't matter what your eyes tell you because they are wrong. Bzzzz has been historically horrible for 6 years in a row. And FYI the nit is much easier to make than usual as additional teams get added to the ncaas. You are an idiot.

More teams added to the NCAAs is offset by all of the lower division conference champs getting auto NIT invites.

Not that Bzzz has to worry about that since you aren't getting an at-large invite to either with a sub .500 record.

With Buzz's horrible coaching resume, How long would he last in private industry with a similar track record??? Amazing how one can be paid the $$$ he has been making with such a lousy resume!

This is so easy that it is slapping you in the face and you are too stupid to realize it. Most of us fans aren't versed in the art of basketball enough to pick out the intricacies of each game and tell how well coached it is, but we do know that since bzzzz has been at wake forest we have been epically bad and that's all we care about. You dig deeper and find the same thing happened when he was at Colorado and that's all we want need to know. He sucks.

Same thing with restaurants. I don't know a thing about being a chef, but I do know if the food sucks. I don't care if someone tells me the chef used the best cooking techniques if he used the wrong ingredients or combined them wrong he still sucks as a chef because he chooses the ingredients. I also don't really care if he takes over a 5 star restaurant and on day 1 serves pies made from dog shit and on day 2 all he does is cooked a steak on the grill for 8 hours and serve it alongside undercooked potatoes. That's not improvement.

Basically it boils down to this. It doesn't matter what your eyes tell you because they are wrong. Bzzzz has been historically horrible for 6 years in a row. And FYI the nit is much easier to make than usual as additional teams get added to the ncaas. You are an idiot.

Good point. I think some of his most ardent supporters are willing to overlook mounds of objective evidence that he isn't a good college coach because they fashion themselves as basketball experts and love the type of offense he runs, even though it has its own deficiencies.

The stats from firebz don't show positivity. There are stats that could show positivity, but those stats have been omitted from the site..

Name them. Feel free to quote Wikipedia again if you need to.

Back