• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Questions about a possible visit to WFU Football Game

The Gopher

Reaction score
Hello -
Minnesota Gopher fan here. Will be traveling to NC the weekend of October 21. Main purpose of the trip was to hopefully see Messi play at Charlotte (but who knows now if that will actually happen). Either way we need to get back to Charlotte in time for the soccer game at 6pm.

I'm a big college football fan and was noticing WF has a home game that day. If it works in the schedule I would love to check out an ACC football game at WF.

I have a few questions.

1. What are the odds it's a noon game? That would be the only way we could catch the game (or part of the game) and still make it to Charlotte in time for the soccer game.
2 When would they announce game time? I know for our games it's usually 2 weeks out. Same for ACC?
3. Being that we may only make part of the game I wasn't planning on spending a ton on tickets, but it doesn't look like tickets are super expensive. Any recommendations of where to sit or not to sit?

We are going up to see UNC and Duke the Friday before so my son can see the campuses.

Anything else in the area of Charlotte/Raleigh/WInston-Salem you'd recommend doing? I've never been to the Carolinas before.

Thanks and apologies if you already have a thread for visitors (feel free to move/merge this post if needed). I could not find one.

Hello -
Minnesota Gopher fan here. Will be traveling to NC the weekend of October 21. Main purpose of the trip was to hopefully see Messi play at Charlotte (but who knows now if that will actually happen). Either way we need to get back to Charlotte in time for the soccer game at 6pm.

I'm a big college football fan and was noticing WF has a home game that day. If it works in the schedule I would love to check out an ACC football game at WF.

I have a few questions.

1. What are the odds it's a noon game? That would be the only way we could catch the game (or part of the game) and still make it to Charlotte in time for the soccer game.
2 When would they announce game time? I know for our games it's usually 2 weeks out. Same for ACC?
3. Being that we may only make part of the game I wasn't planning on spending a ton on tickets, but it doesn't look like tickets are super expensive. Any recommendations of where to sit or not to sit?

We are going up to see UNC and Duke the Friday before so my son can see the campuses.

Anything else in the area of Charlotte/Raleigh/WInston-Salem you'd recommend doing? I've never been to the Carolinas before.

Thanks and apologies if you already have a thread for visitors (feel free to move/merge this post if needed). I could not find one.
First, know that that is homecoming weekend at Wake. Would be a fun time to go to the game (and go early and see the campus/quad)

it will probably be an ACC network game at noon or 3:30. I doubt it will be a night game. Game times are usually announced 2 weeks out. Pitt isn’t good and we’ll most likely be coming off a second straight loss v. Clemson.

There are no bad seats in the stadium. It only seats around 31,500 not counting the hill and you can see we’ll from anywhere. You may try to get hill seats as well - general admission tickets and people put down blankets on the hill behind an end zone. Lots of families there.

Lots of things to do if you have time and depending on your interests.

Hello -

I have a few questions.

Charlotte - NASCAR Hall of Fame. It really is cool even if that’s not your thing. That’s the only thing I recommend in Charlotte other than the whitewater center. Charlotte blows.

Raleigh - always a ton going on. Art museum is cool. Plenty of outdoors stuff to do. Science museum is cool too.

Winston - definitely go to WF campus. Your kid may very well fall in love with it instead of Duke/UNC. That’s what happened to me. Went to Winston on a trip to see Carolina and Duke. Ended up falling in love with Wake. Plenty of other things to do. NC has a lot of outdoor activities and that’s my main thing so Pilot Mountain.

Charlotte - NASCAR Hall of Fame. It really is cool even if that’s not your thing. That’s the only thing I recommend in Charlotte other than the whitewater center. Charlotte blows.

Raleigh - always a ton going on. Art museum is cool. Plenty of outdoors stuff to do. Science museum is cool too.

Winston - definitely go to WF campus. Your kid may very well fall in love with it instead of Duke/UNC. That’s what happened to me. Went to Winston on a trip to see Carolina and Duke. Ended up falling in love with Wake. Plenty of other things to do. NC has a lot of outdoor activities and that’s my main thing so Pilot Mountain.
Having spent many years in both cities, this cracked me up.

Tons of great breweries in NC, if that’s your thing. Many with cool outdoor spaces and solid food. Recommend Hanging Rock State Park over Pilot Mountain for outdoors.

Eat at the Angus Barn in Raleigh if you get a chance. There’s not much between the RDU area and WSalem. Charlotte downtown is nice. Check out the Capital Grille. Between WS and Charlotte, Lake Norman has a ton to offer. As already stated, tickets won’t be a problem at the WF game and there are no bad seats. The sun will be a bit of an issue on the east side for a noon game, depending on the temperature.

Having spent many years in both cities, this cracked me up.

Tons of great breweries in NC, if that’s your thing. Many with cool outdoor spaces and solid food. Recommend Hanging Rock State Park over Pilot Mountain for outdoors.
Agree with Hanging Rock over Pilot Mountain but I'd go a step further and recommend Stone Mountain Park over both. It's about 30 minutes west of pilot mountain

Thanks for all the replies. Any Revolutionary War or Civil War sites that are also near some of those parks and worth visiting?

If you wear the opposing jersey, there‘s a good chance you’ll get a football thrown your way :facepalm:
I sense some pessimism about the team. My Gopher team is in a similar place after blowing a huge lead to a bad Northwestern team last weekend.

I realize you're joking but I may just pick up some WF gear while we're there (assuming the game time works for us). I don't really have strong feelings about either team, but Pitt's coach seems like kind of a tool so I'd be happy to cheer against him (plus it's more fun to cheer for the home team).

Thanks for all the replies. Any Revolutionary War or Civil War sites that are also near some of those parks and worth visiting?
I’m sure someone will disagree with me, but NC isn’t much for Revolutionary or Civil War sites. Tryon House is the old colonial governor’s mansion in New Bern but you’re not going near that.

It depends on where you're coming from. On the ACW side, Bennett Place (site of Johnston's surrender) is outside Durham. It's nice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it. I'd say the same about Bentonville, which is a little less than an hour south of Raleigh. At least when I went, ten years ago, there were a handful of monuments and signs, but no rangers or guided tours, which can make it hard to get oriented. Both are a good ways from Winston, must less Charlotte.

Cowpens and Kings Mountain are Revolutionary War sites roughly an hour west of Charlotte.

If we end up going to the game there we will definitely check out the WF campus. We're just kind of checking out campuses, not sure how likely my son would go to college there. I don't know if he would want to be that far away from home for college. But ever since our kids were little, we usually try to visit a college campus in whatever city we are visiting.

It depends on where you're coming from. On the ACW side, Bennett Place (site of Johnston's surrender) is outside Durham. It's nice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it. I'd say the same about Bentonville, which is a little less than an hour south of Raleigh. At least when I went, ten years ago, there were a handful of monuments and signs, but no rangers or guided tours, which can make it hard to get oriented. Both are a good ways from Winston, must less Charlotte.

Cowpens and Kings Mountain are Revolutionary War sites roughly an hour west of Charlotte.
Yes - Cowpens was one that I had heard of and might try to visit. I also want to check off S. Carolina as a state I've visited so that might be a good excuse to go there.

Wait, are you flying into RDU and out of CLT or driving all over the place?

Back