• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Questions about a possible visit to WFU Football Game

lol just checked the website. What the hell happened. did they get sued?

Yes, and if they want to reopen they will have to rename/rebrand to something other than Winston Cup. But I think they “won” the part about all of the assets inside being theirs.

Flying Thursday-Sunday in and out of Charlotte. Driving up to Raleigh for a night and hoping to loop back through to the WF game on the way back to Charlotte.
Probably seems like a lot of driving, but my son and I both like road trips and I like seeing the countryside. Plus the distances there are not much compared to what we have to drive to get places in the midwest. Minneapolis to Chicago or KC are 7 hours each, for example.
Not sure what route you're taking to get from Charlotte to Raleigh, but if you want to see the countryside, one option is NC Hwy 49/US 64 through Asheboro. The NC Zoo is just south of Asheboro and one of the better zoos in the country. A little farther south than the zoo is Seagrove, NC, which is famous for its pottery if you're into that kind of thing. This trip would also put you in close proximity to some of the best BBQ joints in the state, many of which are off the beaten path. But there's lots to see and do if you go the standard interstate routes too. NC is pretty light on Revolutionary and Civil War sites, unfortunately.

Wake Homecoming is probably the one game you could visit where our campus has an SEC game time type atmosphere, so that’s a great day to visit if you don’t plan to park on campus.

Yes - Cowpens was one that I had heard of and might try to visit. I also want to check off S. Carolina as a state I've visited so that might be a good excuse to go there.
I believe cowpens was delivered in the movie Patriot with Mel Gibson

Yes, Cowpens was the battle shown at the end of The Patriot. The Americans kicked the Brits' asses there.

Nathaniel Greene's borough (Guilford Courthouse) was a Revolutionary War battle site

If any of you have questions about Minnesota, Minnesota football, or the Big Ten, I'd be happy to share here also.

what the fuck is with Taco John's
I haven't been to one in years. Most that I knew of have gone out of business. I think they are HQ;d in Wyoming actually. It's basically Taco Bell quality but just with slightly different menu items.

Dairy Queen is HQ'd in Minneapolis. Buffalo Wild Wings and TGIF started here but not sure who owns those now. Lots of Buffalo Wild Wings here but I am not a fan.

I feel like it’s the truth. I’ve lived in both also. Example: Charlotte downtown shuts down at 5

It’s fun. Still better than anything Charlotte has. Tour the bank buildings and then be surprised when there are 0 people downtown after 6 PM?

Oh my, the skin is thin with this one.

Haha, I feel like homeboy hasn't lived in Charlotte since 1997.

Raleigh is great, I'm not trashing it. There was shit to do when I was a youth other than go to State/Duke/UNC/Canes/Bulls games, but it's come a long way. Still, Charlotte is a much bigger metro, with a lot more people, and a lot more to do.

All in all, they're both pretty damn similar.

In Durham the Duke Lemur Center is p cool. Largest population of lemurs anywhere in the world outside of Madagascar.

Whoever suggested the Angus Barn is off. Don't waste the time or money. I've had better steaks at Ruth's Chris.
This is a terrible take. To some extent a high-end steak is a high-end steak but the Barn has incredible atmosphere, history and service - it is truly a Raleigh original. Ruth's Chris is just another expensive steak in a strip-mall located chain restaurant.

How about Carolina bbq? I'm a huge fan of KC style bbq. Have heard Carolina bbq is more vinegar-based? Not sure I would like that as much.

Maybe it didn't work out scheduling wise, but why didn't y'all just come to Chapel Hill when the Gophs were down here two weeks ago?

How about Carolina bbq? I'm a huge fan of KC style bbq. Have heard Carolina bbq is more vinegar-based? Not sure I would like that as much.

I wouldn't bother with anything in Chapel Hill, Durham, or Winston, or anywhere in between.

Lexington BBQ is world famous and on the route from W-S to Charlotte or Charlotte to Chapel Hill / Durham.

A couple of decent pregame places in Charlotte would be Midwood Smokehouse or Sweet Lew's.

Back