• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Questions about a possible visit to WFU Football Game

Either a whole hog or shoulder cuts slow cooked till it’s pull tender. Probably a rub on the shoulder cut version. Then pulled/shredded/chopped and mixed with “sauce” of vinegar and possibly salt, spices and pepper flakes. Then more of that “sauce” in a bottle on the table.

The vinegar is actually a great complement to the rich fatty sweet pork.

Haha, I feel like homeboy hasn't lived in Charlotte since 1997.

Raleigh is great, I'm not trashing it. There was shit to do when I was a youth other than go to State/Duke/UNC/Canes/Bulls games, but it's come a long way. Still, Charlotte is a much bigger metro, with a lot more people, and a lot more to do.

All in all, they're both pretty damn similar.
Yeah Charlotte has way more cool neighborhoods with good bar/brewery scenes.... Plaza midwood, South end, Dilworth, noda ect. Raleigh basically has one street downtown

Have you been there lately? Tons of beautiful new buildings and the football stadium smack in the middle of them. It’s a commuter school, but NC has put a ton of $$$ into that campus in recent years.
Agreed. My wife had a baby recently at University and I walked over to UNC Charlotte campus and was shocked how pretty it was.... Baseball, basketball and football stadiums right on campus. Great Greenway in the middle of the university and all brick buildings.

Dry rubs are more Memphis-style BBQ and also ribs rather than shoulder or whole pig.

The style is radically different, so there are places in the cities you would enjoy if you've never had this style of bbq before. But like Biff pointed out, you're going to have the opportunity to hit up the places that are the real deal in the backwaters with the trip you're taking so checking out those spots is the play.

I also need to caveat this with saying that I'm a Yankee-faced transplant so I'll defer to the natives for the actual recs.
HaHa... that explains your take on the Angus Barn!

I might not know bbq, but I do know steakhouses 🤣
All evidence to the contrary.... But to each his own. Someone mentioned the bar at the Angus - it is the Wild Turkey Lounge and a great way to experience the Barn for a drink and appetizer.

Dixie, you recommended the nascar hall of fame. I’d say that’s case closed on Charlotte recs for you.

At least have the decency to recommend the Billy Graham library.

Agreed. My wife had a baby recently at University and I walked over to UNC Charlotte campus and was shocked how pretty it was.... Baseball, basketball and football stadiums right on campus. Great Greenway in the middle of the university and all brick buildings.
And the students can ride a train for 20 mins and $2 to downtown Charlotte.

Back