• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Questions about a possible visit to WFU Football Game

Maybe it didn't work out scheduling wise, but why didn't y'all just come to Chapel Hill when the Gophs were down here two weeks ago?
Couldn't work it out with my work schedule and son's school schedule. Also trying to see Messi.

I wouldn't bother with anything in Chapel Hill, Durham, or Winston, or anywhere in between.

Lexington BBQ is world famous and on the route from W-S to Charlotte or Charlotte to Chapel Hill / Durham.

A couple of decent pregame places in Charlotte would be Midwood Smokehouse or Sweet Lew's.
This is the way to do it. The bbq places in the cities will probably be impressive if you've never had proper bbq before, but this corridor is where you'll find the good shit.

Welcome new Wake fan. When we were in Vegas for my bachelor party during March madness a few years ago we bet on the Gophers and have been living vicariously through OUR GOPHS since then. One of us. One of us!!

This is the way to do it. The bbq places in the cities will probably be impressive if you've never had proper bbq before, but this corridor is where you'll find the good shit.
I've had bbq from some legendary KC places, but not really anywhere else. Also had some bbq in Nashville but was not impressed.

Last edited:
This is a terrible take. To some extent a high-end steak is a high-end steak but the Barn has incredible atmosphere, history and service - it is truly a Raleigh original. Ruth's Chris is just another expensive steak in a strip-mall located chain restaurant.
That's basically what Angus Barn is, just in a gussied up building. You can enjoy a nice view of the highway with an after dinner drink though.

I've had bbq from some legendary KC places, but not really anywhere else.
The style is radically different, so there are places in the cities you would enjoy if you've never had this style of bbq before. But like Biff pointed out, you're going to have the opportunity to hit up the places that are the real deal in the backwaters with the trip you're taking so checking out those spots is the play.

I also need to caveat this with saying that I'm a Yankee-faced transplant so I'll defer to the natives for the actual recs.

I've had bbq from some legendary KC places, but not really anywhere else. Also had some bbq in Nashville but was not impressed.
yeah, it's a whole different animal (maybe pun intended)

NC barbecue is pulled pork and sauce depends on the region

Eastern style - light vinegar base - best in random shacks east of Raleigh like Parker's in Wilson or B's in Greenville.
Lexington style - red vinegar base with pepper flakes - The Honey Monk in Lexington, NC is the original and not a bad drive from Wake
Western Style - tomato based, closet to what you get in TN and probably closer to what you're familiar with in sauced KC or TX barbecue

Also, get it as a sandwich with barbecue slaw on the sandwich.

Dont visit UNC-Charlotte. It’s ugly.
Have you been there lately? Tons of beautiful new buildings and the football stadium smack in the middle of them. It’s a commuter school, but NC has put a ton of $$$ into that campus in recent years.

Have you been there lately? Tons of beautiful new buildings and the football stadium smack in the middle of them. It’s a commuter school, but NC has put a ton of $$$ into that campus in recent years.

Yes. Still kinda ugly in a dull part of town. They're starting an $81 million expansion of the football stadium that will double the seating to 30,000. It will be basically the same size as our stadium.

That's basically what Angus Barn is, just in a gussied up building. You can enjoy a nice view of the highway with an after dinner drink though.
What’s the name of the upstairs bar at the Barn? The service, atmosphere, history, and food of the Barn is unmatched.

Maybe it’s because I’m reading this thread at lunchtime but yeah if you want the nc experience go get some bbq and don’t let the gloppy sugar KC sauce touch it.

yeah, it's a whole different animal (maybe pun intended)

NC barbecue is pulled pork and sauce depends on the region

Eastern style - light vinegar base - best in random shacks east of Raleigh like Parker's in Wilson or B's in Greenville.
Lexington style - red vinegar base with pepper flakes - The Honey Monk in Lexington, NC is the original and not a bad drive from Wake
Western Style - tomato based, closet to what you get in TN and probably closer to what you're familiar with in sauced KC or TX barbecue

Also, get it as a sandwich with barbecue slaw on the sandwich.
I'm not really a sauce guy...are there any prepared with dry rubs?

“sauce” in the eastern and Lexington styles basically means “vinegar” so don’t let that throw you off.

Back