• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Questions about a possible visit to WFU Football Game

Don't leave out former Gophers basketball coach Orlando "Tubby" Smith who played and later coached at High Point College/University over in High Point NC

Posted in the ticket thread too but if anyone is selling a parking pass, please let me know.

Or if there are any good cash parking lots I would appreciate that info too. Completely unfamiliar with the campus so any info would be appreciated.

Could be very very very wrong so take this with a grain of salt but I believe parking is $35 at a lot in the LJVM Coliseum on the Goodwill/University Pkwy side

Could be very very very wrong so take this with a grain of salt but I believe parking is $35 at a lot in the LJVM Coliseum on the Goodwill/University Pkwy side
Is it that much now? I thought it was typically $20.

Any idea how early you need to get there to get a spot?

The only Minnesota-Wake Forest sports connections I can think of are former Minnesota men’s basketball asst coach Mike Petersen used to coach women’s hoops at Wake as PJ Fleck had a great game against Wake as a player at Northern Illinois.

Are there anymore?
Not the University but the state: current men's soccer player Jake Swallen is from MN. Previous NFL Mr. Irrelevant Ryan Hoag started at Wake as a soccer walk-on, then went to a D3 school in MN, and then was drafted last in the NFL in 2003.

I was very very very wrong. Parking is actually $20 for the game, didn't realize they switched rates up based on the game

Gopher, not sure if you’re checking bags on the way back to MN, but if you are, definitely pick up a few bottles of Lexington BBQ’s Smokehouse Sauce. If you just have carry-ons, PM me and I’ll send you a very close to it recipe.

Did not know about that connection.
Also a couple more Triad area connections to Minnesota from that general era. Both Charlie Sanders (football hall of famer) and Sweet Lou Hudson (hoops) were from Greensboro Dudley and played at Minnesota.

Sounds like quite a few NC coaches at that time dropped the ball on a lot of athletic talent leaving the state....

Also a couple more Triad area connections to Minnesota from that general era. Both Charlie Sanders (football hall of famer) and Sweet Lou Hudson (hoops) were from Greensboro Dudley and played at Minnesota.

Sounds like quite a few NC coaches at that time dropped the ball on a lot of athletic talent leaving the state....
A lot of Minnesota's football success in the 1950s and 1960s was because we recruited black players from the South back when southern schools wouldn't let black players on their teams.

I have no idea how we would have gotten him into Wake after not qualifying out of high school and going to JC, but Bobby Jackson is from Salisbury and Odom recruited him.

Once he established himself as one of the top players in the state, however, Jackson faced a setback when his grades didn’t meet the NCAA’s academic requirements, forcing him to make a pivotal choice.
“When it was time to go to college, a lot of teams shied away from me because of my G.P.A. and my S.A.T. score,” he says. “I didn’t ask a lot of myself in high school – I didn’t do a lot. If I had to do it again, I probably would’ve dug down and did a lot more, but I didn’t. I was just worried more about basketball than anything, and it was big lesson for me. I had to go to junior college, which was Nebraska, and it made me study more, made me respect the game more and made me more humble.”
At Western Nebraska Community College, the point guard tore his ACL during the first week of practice and sat out his entire freshman season. Following months of vigorous rehab, Jackson averaged 11.5 points per game over the following two seasons, earning Second-Team Junior College All-American honors in 1994-95 after leading the school to a 36-4 record and a third-place finish in the NJCAA Tournament.
“He’s a fighter,” says Johnson. “He didn’t come just from D-I straight into the League – it was a journey for that man. His road was tougher than most of ours, yet he still found a way to make it, and not only make it, but to become one of the top players.”
Despite receiving interest from Wake Forest, where he would’ve had the chance to team up with future NBA MVP Tim Duncan, Jackson says he wisely chose to attend the University of Minnesota.
“I wanted to go somewhere where I knew they didn’t have a guy who was ‘the guy,’ and that was Tim Duncan,” he recalls, adding the duo would’ve likely led the team to a national championship.
“But (Wake Forest) was only 30 minutes from my hometown, too. That was also a deciding factor, because I didn’t want to go back home and get trapped in the things that made me get away from home. I’m glad I made the right choice in going to Minnesota, but it was a tough decision.”

Back