• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Quick free legal advice question

Jeff Fatt

Reaction score
Are there any potential negative consequences with ending a business email telling someone to "fuck off"? There is reasonable chance this will end up in a lawsuit at some point, so other than maybe looking like a hothead, any reason not to blast someone?

Thanks in advance.

Are there any potential negative consequences with ending a business email telling someone to "fuck off"? There is reasonable chance this will end up in a lawsuit at some point, so other than maybe looking like a hothead, any reason not to blast someone?

Thanks in advance.

There of course might be other bad side effects, but having a Judge and/or Jury decide my character based upon an e-mail written in the heat of the moment is exactly the wrong thing to do. When you think there could be a lawsuit in the future anything in writing (including email) should be approached as if it will be evidence in the case.

Take a deep breath, there's no way it's worth cussing them out. It isn't going to help and you likely will regret it.

With the extensive knowledge I've garnered over two years in law school I can provide with 100% confidence all answers related to the law:

You shouldn't do that.

Yeah, I've typed the email but haven't hit send yet. I know it's not the right thing to do but its and old southern lady who is being a complete bitch and I just thought it would make her head explode.

In my business career been involved in many business lawsuits...My best advice from actual experience is "You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar" Advice provided in earlier posts is good...IMHO, follow their lead.

Yeah, I've typed the email but haven't hit send yet. I know it's not the right thing to do but its and old southern lady who is being a complete bitch and I just thought it would make her head explode.

Yeah that'll definitely play well in front of a judge or jury.

Old lady with southern drawl versus Jeff Fatt telling my grandma to fuck off.

In my business career been involved in many business lawsuits...My best advice from actual experience is "You catch more flies with sugar than vinegar" Advice provided in earlier posts is good...IMHO, follow their lead.

I thought it was honey? You know, they come down, smelling the honey, and then they get stuck in it. With sugar, now they just ate your sugar and they can still fly away.

Forget the fuck off, and just stick in a "bless your heart."

Here's a trick I'd like to pass on.

When you're writing an e-mail that you know might not be received well, don't put anyone in the To: field. Write the e-mail. Proof it, and save it. Wait a few minutes, come back, read it again and if you're still happy, put the recipient in the To: field and send it.

Dear Mr. Burns,

I'm so happy you enjoyed my son's blood...

Thanks in advance.

Very few businesses aren't "small ponds". People know each other. They talk to each other. Why do business with someone who might tell you to "fuck off" if they ever disagree with you? There are plenty of other people out there.

Isn't this what Bzz said to the fan in Miami last year? Never take advice from Bzz.

There is one exception.....If you are a stand-up comic telling a heckler to fuck off can make you a hero....of course you should make fun of him first.

I know the advice given is right, but I was really hoping to get the green light. And for the record, I don't go around telling people to fuck off but this lady is both in the wrong and being a complete bitch.

There is one exception.....If you are a stand-up comic telling a heckler to fuck off can make you a hero....of course you should make fun of him first.

I know the advice given is right, but I was really hoping to get the green light. And for the record, I don't go around telling people to fuck off but this lady is both in the wrong and being a complete bitch.

You know it's wrong. If you really want to do it, do it.

If you wanted to green light to do something stupid you should have asked Maryland's message board, not this one.

Back