• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

r.e.m.

Strong submissions so far, like the Driver 8 one. I think losing my religion is probably the best song, but I like their piano based songs like Nightswimming and

My favorites are still Pretty Persuasion, Orange Crush and Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight.

Best Song is Man on the Moon.

Favorites are:

Letter Never Sent
Belong
Imitation of Life
Feeling Gravity's Pull

R.E.M. is one of those bands that is right in my wheelhouse as far as timing goes. During my peak music-listening period of college, they were new, fresh and alternative. We had never heard anything like them. They were our jam! We absolutely wore out the Chronic Town EP and the Murmur album. I can't identify my favorite song off the top of my head but it would definitely be off of one of the early albums...

I feel like younger people can never appreciate R.E.M. - they became ordinary - almost a cliche or parody of themselves.

Some great classics are listed above, but let's not mention "Losing My Religion" in this context. Not their best and not classic R.E.M - but pop R.E.M...

"I Believe" used banjo before it was really cool again...

Man on the Moon (if liner notes are to be believed, born of desperation, late night drives on the LA Freeway and inspiration), Nightswimming, Radio Free Europe, and (yes) Losing my Religion

Can't believe there are no other Sidewinders.

I have to admit I love Shiny Happy People.

Lots of good choices so far. I really like Catapult and I've always thought the final jam that closes out It's the End of the World is one of the best ever. Love them, but they were pretty spotty live. Saw them 3 times and they were terrible once and only OK the other two times.

Back