• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

r.e.m.

REM has grown on me over the years. Like Nightswimming, Driver 8, and Orange Crush alot, but this has to be my favorite:

And I've always despised Shiny Happy People. That song in and of itself made me hate REM for years because it was everywhere.

Cool story time. My uncle, Jonny Hibbert, produced their first recording of Radio Free Europe on his label in 1981. They pushed him out and made him give up his rights when they signed. He's got crates of their first record in his house. Wonder what they're worth?

And I've always despised Shiny Happy People. That song in and of itself made me hate REM for years because it was everywhere.

Look at it. For what it s, a fun meaningless song that's a middle-finger to their critics. And, it features the singer from The B-52s.

Cool story time. My uncle, Jonny Hibbert, produced their first recording of Radio Free Europe on his label in 1981. They pushed him out and made him give up his rights when they signed. He's got crates of their first record in his house. Wonder what they're worth?

Nothing. Have him send me one.

Can't believe there are no other Sidewinders.

I have to admit I love Shiny Happy People.

i really like sindwinder. even michael stipe is ashamed of shiny happy people. when they were in their later years touring he said he would never play that song ever again

The 25th anniversary remaster of Green features a complete REM concert from Greensboro from November 1989.

I saw them in Cameron Indoor at Duke - must have been 1984, maybe? - I think 10,000 Maniacs opened. Awesome show!

My rule of thumb is, the less coherent Stipe's singing is, the better the song. Like, as far as I know, the lyrics to "7 Chinese Brothers" are "Seven Chinese brothers hunh her her, hunh her huhn"

Hibtone?

TourFilm is outstanding. It's like Stipe cut his own hair...w/ rusty scissors and no mirror.

I knew a guy who had one of the original Hibtone singles. I'm guessing those things are worth a lot.

This is a pretty cool segment from the British show The Whistle Test about some of the NC bands back in 1985. Has The Connells, Fetchin' Bones, and The Othermothers.

Yup. He tries to not be too bitter about it, but can you imagine if he'd been able to hold onto that song? Or a fraction of a percentage of future earnings? Ugh. I asked him about it when I was in a huge REM phase and he had some not so nice things to say about Stipe. I got the impression that I shouldn't bring it up with him again. Ever. Can't blame him.

Back