• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

R.I.P. Chuck Berry

If he didn't invent R&R, he was damn close. I think he even played at Wait Chapel

RIP

I know a couple of guys that played in his backing band when he would come to their town. The stories are unreal. CB always hired local musicians for his backing band in whatever town he was in. Chuck would demand to be paid in cash before he would get on stage, and would give zero info to the backing band about what was going to be played and when. He would literally walk on stage and start playing without ever even speaking to the band. They wouldn't even know what song was coming first. He would just start playing and you better follow along or you got some cold stares and cussings. He would change keys in the middle of songs without letting the band know. And on and on.

I know a couple of guys that played in his backing band when he would come to their town. The stories are unreal. CB always hired local musicians for his backing band in whatever town he was in. Chuck would demand to be paid in cash before he would get on stage, and would give zero info to the backing band about what was going to be played and when. He would literally walk on stage and start playing without ever even speaking to the band. They wouldn't even know what song was coming first. He would just start playing and you better follow along or you got some cold stares and cussings. He would change keys in the middle of songs without letting the band know. And on and on.

probably just gave his band instructions like this:

probably just gave his band instructions like this:

eh, during NPR's thing this morning the guy did say that Berry would tour w/out a band because the 12 Bar Blues style was so easy to pick up local bands could back him. I don't think it's that much of a stretch

eh, during NPR's thing this morning the guy did say that Berry would tour w/out a band because the 12 Bar Blues style was so easy to pick up local bands could back him. I don't think it's that much of a stretch

Oh I know I just wanted to post the video

He did play at Wait Chapel in September, 1972. And he used 3 students to back him up. Don't recall who they were. Great concert!

Yeah, pretty much everything he did was 1,4, 5 in whatever key - which was/is pretty much the rock n roll standard as far as making hits. It's easy to play. But Berry was known for - at least later in life - for changing keys and tempo all over the place - mid song. Guys that backed him have told me they would spend much of the night looking at each other with looks on their faces like "what the hell just happened?".

He did play at Wait Chapel in September, 1972. And he used 3 students to back him up. Don't recall who they were. Great concert!

Two of the backup guys were from Laurinburg: Fred Hubbard on bass and Jim Morgan on keyboard.

Back