• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Raleigh - Good Beer and Food

You can walk and get BBQ at the Pit or Coopers in downtown.

For brewery, Trophy has a new rotisserie chicken place on Wilmington, walkable. Many great beers. Good beers at Raleigh Times as well, but no brewery.

Humble Pie is within walking distance of the convention center, has pretty good food and a tolerable hipster vibe.

Just go to Bhavana. Amazing food and better booze. Hopefully they have the Grove double IPA on. It's a really good beer.

Humble Pie is within walking distance of the convention center, has pretty good food and a tolerable hipster vibe.

Another vote for Humble Pie! Great small plates perfect for sharing. Fried chicken with honey is awesome. It is around the corner from Crank Arm brewery, the Pit and a fun Barcade!

Poole's Diner is a no brainer if you want to impress visitors with a meal from a local, award-winning chef.

Glenwood South is hard to beat for an entertaining area - many different restaurants and bars that you can easily walk between. You can start with the Beer Garden toward one end and work your way down with food and beverage at as many places as you care to try. Vidrio is a great place and haven't seen it mentioned - I would go to the bar there for drinks before eating somewhere else - the food did not stand up to the great atmosphere and decor of the place, IMO.

You can walk and get BBQ at the Pit or Coopers in downtown.

For brewery, Trophy has a new rotisserie chicken place on Wilmington, walkable. Many great beers. Good beers at Raleigh Times as well, but no brewery.

Was going to come here to post these two. Raleigh Times has a rooftop spot which is nice.

Underrated: the Boxcar vintage arcade, right next to The Pit. Pretty awesome array of arcade games and fun for all ages.

New: Level 7, the North Hills rooftop place. It's great if you like shiny new stuff that belongs in Atlanta and if you hate money.

Suprised to hear that about Whisky Kitchen. I've been 3 times. The fish dip, lamb burger, and BBQ chicken have all been good, but the chicken pot pie was outstanding. Drinks were done well. I do agree it's loud.

I hate to say it, but the pit is better bbq than Coopers, and way more fun.

Agreed.

Boxcar is a cool spot, but a lot of their games are emulated (or were last time I was there) so the controls don't always work right. And if you're there late on a weekend it's more of a club than an arcade. I have a love/hate relationship with that place.

And The Pit is good, but you're basically paying double for barbecue and atmosphere. IMO it's overrated, but that's just me.

Lot of good suggestions so far in here, i'll throw a few out and second some as well:

For beer/micro brews and the location you are staying Crank Arm and Trophy are great suggestion. Trophy has recently purchased or re-branded the Hive/Busy Bee space into Trophy Brewing Tap and Table. Good semi roof top spot with some decent views on the second level there. I'll also add Lynwood Brewing Concern out on East Whitaker Mill Road and Big Boss Brewing Co out on Wicker Drive. You will need to Uber to both of those but they are solid spots if you are looking for a more chill environment where you can bring a dog or a larger group.

Food wise, i'll add a few suggestions: Second Empire on Hillsborough Street if you are looking for a little fancier spot and are taking a client out, food has been great everytime i've eaten there although it is a little pricier. Cool environment on the bottom level in the tavern area. Centro if you want really good Mexican food that's a little pricier. Gonza Tacos if you want a little cheaper (The Lacko short rib tacos are my personal fave and are amazing). Gravy is one of my favorite restaurants in Raleigh, its on South Wilmington Street and is Italian-American food. Everything on the menu is awesome.

As others have said The Pit is the most well known BBQ in the city but is way to pricey for what you get. Have been disappointed the last few times i've been and am not looking to go back anytime soon. Cylde Coopers use to be really good but it's changed ownership a few times the last 5 years or so and i'm not sure how it is now, haven't been in a while. Bare Bones is a newish place on Fayetteville with all sorts of BBQ options, maybe give it a try?

Hope that helps!

I hope the "hipster vibe" isn't too strong during the week. Most of the group I'll be with is #olds.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I knew I could count on the Raleigh contingent to be informed about beer and food.

Oak City Meatball Shoppe is pretty cool. Pooles - southern style food/Ashley C place. Capital Club 16 is solid. Mecca if you want old school downtown diner. Humble Pie. Flying Saucer or Raleigh Beer Garden for beers. Crank Arm, Lynnwood, and Trophy for breweries....or Raleigh Brewing Co which IMO is better but is an uber ride toward the fairgrounds.

For breakfast, Brewerks and Person Street Pharmacy are good breakfast spots in Historic Oakwood, within walking distance just beyond the edge of downtown.

For breakfast, Brewerks and Person Street Pharmacy are good breakfast spots in Historic Oakwood, within walking distance just beyond the edge of downtown.

Great. That is good to know. I'm not sure what options the meeting will have for breakfast. I do know that hotels near convention centers usually have pricey breakfast options.

Back