• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rant From a Seasoned Deac

I'm a seasoned Deac also, since the mid 70s, and now living west of the Mississippi. I couldn't agree more with this post. As someone involved with trying to engage alums in a distant city through our local club, it's hard for me to get excited about getting our area alums for sporting events--especially basketball. Others here feel the same. The repercussions of this debacle are deep and far reaching with the alums, players, prospects and ultimately revenue (from multiple sources including TV--which is rare). When we do respectably in basketball, our "brand" gets a much needed boost outside of North Carolina. While I haven't stopped contributing, I included a note with my December check for the first time with instructions to find a new mens bball coach. If Bzzz isn't gone after this season, no question many alums will close the wallet. Not sure what I'm going to do.

The decision to unilaterallly hire Jeff [Redacted] is the second worst decision in Wake Forest sports I have seen since going to Wake Forest in 1969. The worst decision has been Ron Wellman's decision to retain and support the debacle that began 2 1/2 years ago.

I have avidly supported Wake Forest athletics financially and in other ways for over 40 years. The Jeff [Redacted] era has caused me to withdraw and lose interest in our basketball program and the malaise has carried over to other sports as well.

Many of my friends have also withdrawn their support and have learned to live without Wake Forest basketball in the fall and winter months. We still love Wake Forest, but the way all this has been handled, over a long period of time, has been frustrating and insulting, and has been a huge embarrassment to our once proud basketball program.

For going on 3 years, Ron Wellman has stubbornly and selfishly refused to acknowledge his horrendous mistake in hiring the floundering coach at Colorado. I believe Wellman continues to hope, somehow, some way, there might be some semblance of improvement that might make this fiasco not quite so onerous. But Jeff [Redacted] is not a good fit and never will be.

Ron Wellman made a terrible mistake. His brashness and unabated efforts to try and put a positive spin on this disaster has served to alienate and offend all but the most easily led supporters.

How much longer will it take to stop this travesty and the desecration of our beloved basketball program.

This program has lost all identity and has become a joke to Wake fans and outsiders alike. It is a true shame to have the likes of Jeff Battle, Rusty LaRue, and Randolph Childress associated and brought down by such a disaster of a head coach. These guys work and recruit their butts off, but the head coach sets the tone and is the face and voice of the program. Can you imagine one of these assistants asking [Redacted] to help them close the deal on a wavering recruit? What a joke. The smattering of tie dies and the old motorcycle routine are frequent reminders of what used to be good and what has become very, very stale.

We have a head coach with no personality, no charisma, who has run off most of the students and supporters, has run donations for our program into the ground, and is a pathetic joke with the media. On top of that his statistical performance is horrendous and totally unacceptable in any category you choose to evaluate.

Jeff [Redacted] is Jeff [Redacted]. He is who is. It is not his fault. He was a lousy excuse for a coach when we hired him and he has certainly done nothing to change that reputation. Ron Wellman is to blame for the hire and the continuation of
the tenure that has put our program of life support and begs for change.

I agree most everything you have said and have been doing the same things myself since 1979. What I would ask is have you expressed any of this directly to Ron? So far it has had no impact but I have expressed my opinions and concerns directly to him. But at least if someone asks about my ranting I can say that everyone has heard it.

3 seasons from the end of this one minimum.

I would answer cheat's question with some questions. Does Wellman fire Buzzdick this year? If so, does Wellman hire his replacement and put similar recruiting limitations on his replacement? Or do we clean house and fire both?

I think Hatch is part of the remolding of Wake hoops. Indeed, he's probably the main instigator. He's the one pulling the strings, and he probably has backing on the board of trustees (for the time being). There is probably no way to get rid of Buzz this year unless the rest of the season becomes a complete disaster.

3 seasons from the end of this one minimum.

Agreed. Unless we hang an 0'fer on the rest of the schedule, Bz is here for next year. Mitchell's commitment will get him to the '14-'15 season unless we take major steps back (which is hard to do when you're so bad). The tiny bit of improvement we've shown this year will be packaged with the "maturation" of the freshman for the '13-'14 season and then it will be wait till these guys get to play with Mitchell in '14-'15.

I would answer cheat's question with some questions. Does Wellman fire Buzzdick this year? If so, does Wellman hire his replacement and put similar recruiting limitations on his replacement? Or do we clean house and fire both?

lets assume bz goes year after next then (how can he not?) but wellman stays, but actually conducts a professional search for a new replacement (maybe with the help of an agency or something idk.) Is it still 4 seasons minimum? does anyone contest that?

I think Hatch is part of the remolding of Wake hoops. Indeed, he's probably the main instigator. He's the one pulling the strings, and he probably has backing on the board of trustees (for the time being). There is probably no way to get rid of Buzz this year unless the rest of the season becomes a complete disaster.

Ha ha, you said becomes. I'm afraid you're right about Hatch, though.

Bzz will be gone at the end of this year. Mitchell has already stated he committed to WF, not Bz. And the other commits we have won't be jumping ship either, imo. No way they let this go on for another year. Just no way...

Bzz will be gone at the end of this year. Mitchell has already stated he committed to WF, not Bz. And the other commits we have won't be jumping ship either, imo. No way they let this go on for another year. Just no way...

Oh ye of little faith.

While it seems logical, the commentators during the last debacle of a game seemed to be 'in the know' when they said 'Sorry fans, Jeff is going no where.'

Back