• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rant From a Seasoned Deac

Bzz will be gone at the end of this year. Mitchell has already stated he committed to WF, not Bz. And the other commits we have won't be jumping ship either, imo. No way they let this go on for another year. Just no way...
Why are you so sure? The department is still making money from what I understand, even with fewer donations, so what pressure will there be? Wellman signed onto a 5 year plan to remold (or repurify as someone more accurately said) Wake bball. The end of that rainbow in his mind is a top-25 team winning the right way with awesome fan support....and a tiny green man with the pot of gold for Wake. He is clearly dismissing any criticism as resulting from the growing pains needed to get there. The latest PR push with all these announcers just proves the point. He will point to their "opinions" as proof analysts are behind him.

I think Bz gets year 4 and then with another "young but improving" excuse and top recruit coming the following year, gets him a year 5. These freshmen won't let Iona get up 41-5 (or whatever) next year...see the improvement? Mitchell committing to Wake (not the coach) is classic Skipism....probably used by Battle.

Last edited:
Sadly, I agree.

Might as well root for your team to win, folks.

Having him as our coach for 5 years of my life is absolutely disgusting.

Like having a terminal illness...you hope for the best but prepare for the worse!

I think it's more like knowing an addict. As much as it sucks to watch, you know they need to hit rock bottom before they can start to turn things around. Past a certain point, dragging out the fall doesn't help anyone.

I don't cheer for us to lose, and I hate to see it happen...think it's probably what needs to happen in order to hasten along the rebuild.

Last edited:
Why are you so sure? The department is still making money from what I understand, even with fewer donations, so what pressure will there be? Wellman signed onto a 5 year plan to remold (or repurify as someone more accurately said) Wake bball. The end of that rainbow in his mind is a top-25 team winning the right way with awesome fan support....and a tiny green man with the pot of gold for Wake. He is clearly dismissing any criticism as resulting from the growing pains needed to get there. The latest PR push with all these announcers just proves the point. He will point to their "opinions" as proof analysts are behind him.

I think Bz gets year 4 and then with another "young but improving" excuse and top recruit coming the following year, gets him a year 5. These freshmen won't let Iona get up 41-5 (or whatever) next year...see the improvement? Mitchell committing to Wake (not the coach) is classic Skipism....probably used by Battle.

You may be right, but if you are right then additional steps must be taken. So far the fan base animis has been aimed at RW and his crony hire. But if the BOT is going to sit on their hands, we need to publicly identify the sorry individuals serving as Trustees so that Wake fans everywhere can ostracize, vilify, and boycott them in whatever manner they deem appropriate. FWIW - I'm sure those BOT members will deserve much more than they get.

I just don't see how he CAN keep him after this year. Especially if we only get one or two more wins this season (which is likely). He had an excuse in year one with a lack of talent, and last year the talent was perhaps worse. This year he had his players, his system, and the two top returning scorers in the league. No excuse to be where we are at at this point. We've let several games slip away that we should have won, coupled with some blow-outs that should have never happened (Iona, Nebraska). Two years to "clean up" the program and one year to show progress. He hasn't gotten it done and it's time for this guy to go. I will be shocked if he sees year 4.

I'm not defending him, but the pitch is going to be that this is essentially year 1 with Bz players and he'll get a couple of years with them. It will take a 3 or 4 win ACC schedule in either of the next two years to put him on the hot seat.

I just don't see how he CAN keep him after this year. Especially if we only get one or two more wins this season (which is likely). He had an excuse in year one with a lack of talent, and last year the talent was perhaps worse. This year he had his players, his system, and the two top returning scorers in the league. No excuse to be where we are at at this point. We've let several games slip away that we should have won, coupled with some blow-outs that should have never happened (Iona, Nebraska). Two years to "clean up" the program and one year to show progress. He hasn't gotten it done and it's time for this guy to go. I will be shocked if he sees year 4.

So you think Wellman is going to fire him?

So you think Wellman is going to fire him?

Yeah, I think Wellman is pragmatic.

He'd never fire a coach in less than 3 years. He'll support all of our coaches 100% until the day he fires them. He's not afraid to act when he feels something has run its course.

He tasked [Redacted] with rebuilding and the measure now is improvement. If we do go the rest of the year winning 2 games, effectively going backwards despite having a CJ/McKie lead starting 5... I think he fires him.

Yeah, I think Wellman is pragmatic.

He'd never fire a coach in less than 3 years. He'll support all of our coaches 100% until the day he fires them. He's not afraid to act when he feels something has run its course.

He tasked [Redacted] with rebuilding and the measure now is improvement. If we do go the rest of the year winning 2 games, effectively going backwards despite having a CJ/McKie lead starting 5... I think he fires him.

How long was Dino head coach? (NOT that he should have had longer.)

I think it's more like knowing an addict. As much as it sucks to watch, you know they need to hit rock bottom before they can start to turn things around. Past a certain point, dragging out the fall doesn't help anyone.

I don't cheer for us to lose, and I hate to see it happen...think it's probably what needs to happen in order to hasten along the rebuild.

Except Wake BB probably isn't going to OD and die. maybe.

Back