• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rate Yourself As a Singer

Rate Yourself As a Singer

• Total voters
I out myself down for a 5. I am the singer in my current acoustic duo and have been in bands as well. I am the next level above clearing the room at a bar or private party apparently.

walk us through your vocal warmup routine, Gould
Ha, it's been so long.

Gotta get the whole body loose, it's a physical practice. So some limb shaking and stretching then some "ahhs and ohhs" that go from the top of your range to the low and back, gradually extending that, then you work the mouth and tongue with different shapes (that sounds gross/hot), maybe run through a song that doesn't extend you that much, some chromatic scales with different vowels. That's probably where I'd start. Important to consider the whole body, though.

Ha, it's been so long.

Gotta get the whole body loose, it's a physical practice. So some limb shaking and stretching then some "ahhs and ohhs" that go from the top of your range to the low and back, gradually extending that, then you work the mouth and tongue with different shapes (that sounds gross/hot), maybe run through a song that doesn't extend you that much, some chromatic scales with different vowels. That's probably where I'd start. Important to consider the whole body, though.
My mother was a classically trained violinist, and beside her minister of music duties, she taught voice at Gardner-Webb.

On Sunday mornings she was to sing solo, she'd do these similar vocal gymnastics. I heard it so many times. Volume would start out low and gradually increase. I generally do it myself in the vehicle on the way to a gig.

I might have overestimated myself at 5, but I just think of all the people who are tone-deaf know I'm not that bad.

I'm not claiming to be Freddie Mercury or anything.

I'm a 1 on my best day. Musically, I am barely qualified to play the shaker, or whatever that shake thing is called. Mercury is excellent; I have seen him perform live in WNC.
In junior high, my school required us to have an 'arts' elective. I already knew that choir would be a disaster for me, so i chose band and tried really hard with a trumpet.

On the night of our first recital, our band director told me to just go stand with percussion section & handed me a paper-clip sized version of this:

71ZO+PpPn3L.jpg

Damn why was this performance so sexual though
@mako1331 too bad you weren’t around in those days. One of the events in the pit Olympics was to submit your most attractive teammate and have a panel of women on the board judge them.

Validation for daaaays

Back