• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Realignment Musings

If your train was at risk of derailment in 20 minutes, it's probably hard for train enthusiasts to enjoy the ride. Unfortunately, that's kind of where I'm at with this stuff, it's just a decade out and it's sports instead of trains. It's refreshing when the ball is tipped and that's all that matters for two hours.
So you relate what's going on in college sports to possible death by train derailment? Fuck dude, just step away and find something that makes you happy.

Lulz - This board definitely needs one of the vaunted CNN or WaPo "fact checkers" (who have all conveniently been on vacation during the Biden presidency) to weigh-in with their expertise anytime GoDeacsHoyaSaxa goes on one of his NIL or realignment rants
Literally from 2 hours ago regarding the SOTU:

If you're going to make a point about "fact checking", then you probably shouldn't lie in your commentary for literally the next 10 words in your sentence.

So you relate what's going on in college sports to possible death by train derailment? Fuck dude, just step away and find something that makes you happy.
It's a metaphor lol. And college sports do make me happy, which is why what's happening does not make me happy.

Arkansas was never in the big 12. Never
Nor did they leave the SWC for more money.

I'd also argue that Mizzou and aTm are not worse off than they were in the Big XII. They were both middling programs in the Big XII with occasional good seasons, and they're the same in the SEC. Mizzou probably got the worst end of the deal, but I think they won the SEC East a few times early on (when it sucked). They also both left for the same reason Arky left the SWC and CU and NU left the Big 12-- the outsized influence of UT on the conference. aTm fans love to bring up money NOW, but at the time the conferences were fairly even money-wise. Probably more so for OU and TX, though.

TCU definitely a beneficiary in the other direction.

CU and NU killed their Texas recruiting with their moves and that was predicted by many, and I also don't think either of them left for a bigger payout.

I'd say almost all of the Big East is worse off, but wouldn't throw L-ville in there because they actually went to the AAC when the Big East blew up. WVU in particular is so out of place in the Big XII.

There is some money at play, of course. Especially for OU, TX, UCLA, and USC. However, none of those schools except for maybe UCLA and USC got the ball rolling with their conference's disintegration. That happened early on with the Big XII departures and the implosion of the Big East. OU and TX were death blows, but also inevitable given that they have to recruit against the SEC brand as well as its teams.

As for the rest of what you're saying, it's pretty logical. I hate all this too and miss the days of the Big 8. Hell, I never did mind having split NCs or the BCS title game. The playoff expansion is probably needed now with the conslidation of conferences.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding my limited time spent in the Carolinas, but I feel like in so much of the country college sports are/were a cultural institution worthy of federal protection as such, and so much more than just sports.

Growing up where I grew up, Big East basketball was a pretty significant deal for a lot of people, but in rural parts of the country collegiate athletics are truly an institution. Other countries regulate sports to protect their cultural value (i.e. laws around minimizing the impact of television on English soccer) and it's a damn shame we never did that with college sports. Even without federal regulation, I feel like the NCAA should have seen this coming once the ball started rolling in the 90s and created some sort of regulation. Incompetence kills.

SMU to PAC-12 is interesting to me. PAC clearly wants to have a Texas presence, although SMU is like 5th fiddle in Dallas. SMU has an insane campus and a crazy amount of money (more than Wake, for sure) and aren't afraid to spend. Tons of hot girls too.

Their football program has been decent in the last 5 years, but not much fan support. Losing Sonny Dykes to their sworn rival has gotta hurt. Basketball wise, they have a very nice and new stadium. They hired Larry Brown and had a good run with him (several notable NCAA snubs). He retired and they fired his hand-picked successor.

SMU and Memphis are definitely trying like hell to get out of the AAC. The MWC would possibly be an upgrade if they can't get somewhere else.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding my limited time spent in the Carolinas, but I feel like in so much of the country college sports are/were a cultural institution worthy of federal protection as such, and so much more than just sports.

Growing up where I grew up, Big East basketball was a pretty significant deal for a lot of people, but in rural parts of the country collegiate athletics are truly an institution. Other countries regulate sports to protect their cultural value (i.e. laws around minimizing the impact of television on English soccer) and it's a damn shame we never did that with college sports. Even without federal regulation, I feel like the NCAA should have seen this coming once the ball started rolling in the 90s and created some sort of regulation. Incompetence kills.
Yeah I mean the issue is the NCAA pushed against government regulation while simultaneously not being able to regulate themselves (obviously: no subpoena power and a toothless enforcement mechanism). They shot themselves in the foot trying to operate independently and kept pushing the "amateur" model which pretty clearly runs afoul of federal labor laws.

Wake > Vandy in football and hoops.

So, if the sec wants a smart little school in its ranks.... we're it! ;)

It's now official, the 2023-2024 collegiate athletic season will be the last with some semblance of regional / traditional conferences. To begin 2024-2025 play, USC and UCLA will be in the B10 and Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC.

National writers from 247, Rivals, ESPN, etc. reporting things like "college football will be changing in 2024" are showing exactly who they are. They think college football. They don't think college sports. They don't care about anything or anybody other than football and football players.

They don't care that this means USC volleyball will have to make 8 cross country flights in the middle of the semester, or that the UCLA men's soccer team will go entire weeks without seeing their dorm room. They care that they might see a little more income as the eyes of the nation become trained on a smaller number of more national football broadcasts. Honestly, it's despicable and that's not an exaggeration. Corporations ruining college experiences for athletes and fans alike to make a buck off of unpaid labor in just one sport of nearly 30.

It's now official, the 2023-2024 collegiate athletic season will be the last with some semblance of regional / traditional conferences. To begin 2024-2025 play, USC and UCLA will be in the B10 and Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC.

National writers from 247, Rivals, ESPN, etc. reporting things like "college football will be changing in 2024" are showing exactly who they are. They think college football. They don't think college sports. They don't care about anything or anybody other than football and football players.

They don't care that this means USC volleyball will have to make 8 cross country flights in the middle of the semester, or that the UCLA men's soccer team will go entire weeks without seeing their dorm room. They care that they might see a little more income as the eyes of the nation become trained on a smaller number of more national football broadcasts. Honestly, it's despicable and that's not an exaggeration. Corporations ruining college experiences for athletes and fans alike to make a buck off of unpaid labor in just one sport of nearly 30.
And just make a buck this one time. This is all going to come crashing down when these contracts end. And just a reminder that that’s not that far away. These contracts are pretty short.

Also, don’t be surprised if some of those sports you mentioned just get dropped. Maryland did it.

And just make a buck this one time. This is all going to come crashing down when these contracts end. And just a reminder that that’s not that far away. These contracts are pretty short.

Also, don’t be surprised if some of those sports you mentioned just get dropped. Maryland did it.
Schools will shamelessly drop any sport they can. CLEMSON tried to claim their AD was broke so they had to cut their championship track program. CLEMSON. A year off of a football national championship and flush with cash. The thing is, fans will shame their own school into undoing decisions like that, but we have been unable to shame schools out of screwing over their athletes to make money in a national conference.

99% of athletes even at a school like UCLA have no intention of every playing professionally and just want to enjoy college, compete, and graduate. Those are the people I feel bad for. They're being walked all over so football can make the school money.

Schools will shamelessly drop any sport they can. CLEMSON tried to claim their AD was broke so they had to cut their championship track program. CLEMSON. A year off of a football national championship and flush with cash. The thing is, fans will shame their own school into undoing decisions like that, but we have been unable to shame schools out of screwing over their athletes to make money in a national conference.

99% of athletes even at a school like UCLA have no intention of every playing professionally and just want to enjoy college, compete, and graduate. Those are the people I feel bad for. They're being walked all over so football can make the school money.
Yet Clemson just added softball because it’s actually televised and something people will attend.

Yet Clemson just added softball because it’s actually televised and something people will attend.
Totally spit balling here, but if softball is a required sport for SEC membership, that is damning and confirms what we already know about Clemson's future intentions.

Totally spit balling here, but if softball is a required sport for SEC membership, that is damning and confirms what we already know about Clemson's future intentions.
The SEC doesn’t even have men’s soccer and Clemson is a legit powerhouse in that. So if they care about the Olympic sports then the SEC is not a fit. Same with UVA and UNC when it comes to the Big 10. You’re really gonna move your powerhouse baseball programs to a conference that is god awful? That can be said for most sports. Top to bottom, the ACC and PAC-12 are the power house conferences.

The SEC doesn’t even have men’s soccer and Clemson is a legit powerhouse in that. So if they care about the Olympic sports then the SEC is not a fit. Same with UVA and UNC when it comes to the Big 10. You’re really gonna move your powerhouse baseball programs to a conference that is god awful? That can be said for most sports. Top to bottom, the ACC and PAC-12 are the power house conferences.
PAC12 no longer, UCLA was arguably the best school in the country at non-revenue sports and they're gone. And no, Clemson doesn't care about soccer. Doesn't make money. South Carolina is also typically good at soccer, so is Kentucky, they just play in a different league. Really it all comes down to money and nobody cares if their baseball program ends up a little worse off, if they care that much, they can throw some of the extra revenue at that problem.

PAC12 no longer, UCLA was arguably the best school in the country at non-revenue sports and they're gone. And no, Clemson doesn't care about soccer. Doesn't make money. South Carolina is also typically good at soccer, so is Kentucky, they just play in a different league. Really it all comes down to money and nobody cares if their baseball program ends up a little worse off, if they care that much, they can throw some of the extra revenue at that problem.
PAC still has Stanford but I hear you.

Back