• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Realignment Musings

PAC12 no longer, UCLA was arguably the best school in the country at non-revenue sports and they're gone. And no, Clemson doesn't care about soccer. Doesn't make money. South Carolina is also typically good at soccer, so is Kentucky, they just play in a different league. Really it all comes down to money and nobody cares if their baseball program ends up a little worse off, if they care that much, they can throw some of the extra revenue at that problem.
Stanford says don't forget me.

Just so wild to me. I feel like we as sports fans almost unanimously agree this is bad. We also as sports fans are the one that create the TV revenue by watching games. We just never managed to realize we have the power here and not Disney and FOX. Sad course of events. As bad as I feel for sports fans I feel worse for athletes. Student athletes have been hung out to dry for some extra football money and it’s absolutely crazy that no sports journalists are covering it. They covered schools cutting programs during covid, but won’t cover the athlete angle of this. You know why? Their employers are profiting off of these changes and they know better than to speak out.

The SEC doesn’t even have men’s soccer and Clemson is a legit powerhouse in that. So if they care about the Olympic sports then the SEC is not a fit. Same with UVA and UNC when it comes to the Big 10. You’re really gonna move your powerhouse baseball programs to a conference that is god awful? That can be said for most sports. Top to bottom, the ACC and PAC-12 are the power house conferences.
Speaking from a little experience, the power 5 schools don't give two shits about Olympic sports. It's all football and men's basketball even if they pretend to care about the others.....

And I get it. Those sports make the money. All the other ones are typically a financial drain.

Speaking from a little experience, the power 5 schools don't give two shits about Olympic sports. It's all football and men's basketball even if they pretend to care about the others.....

And I get it. Those sports make the money. All the other ones are typically a financial drain.
Can’t get rid of all of them though. Title IX keeps at least some of them safe. Many schools do care quite a bit about baseball and a few about women’s bball but, after that, nope.

Schools only care about a sport if donors care about it
Ehh, they care if substantial numbers of people are showing up. That’s why our AD cares about soccer and why many schools care about baseball. LSU draws more for baseball than most schools draw for bball.

Ehh, they care if substantial numbers of people are showing up. That’s why our AD cares about soccer and why many schools care about baseball. LSU draws more for baseball than most schools draw for bball.
Right but it’s not like they’re making much money on soccer ticket sales. Lots of people showing up = lots of potential donors with emotional connections to the program/school.

Well, yes of course they are the only ones that make money. You have never thought they actually care about anything other than money do you? Except for the one tournament is march they only really care about football. They have sinle handily ruined college athletics. Tradition, rivalries are all gone forever and nobody cares.

Well, yes of course they are the only ones that make money. You have never thought they actually care about anything other than money do you? Except for the one tournament is march they only really care about football. They have sinle handily ruined college athletics. Tradition, rivalries are all gone forever and nobody cares.
Even traditional football rivalries have been dumped in search of a few more dollars.

Schools only care about a sport if donors care about it

Yep. I especially don't care about volleyball players at Southern Cal getting a bunch of frequent flyer miles. No one is forcing them to go to school there and play volleyball. If it's a bad deal for volleyball players so be it.

Yep. I especially don't care about volleyball players at Southern Cal getting a bunch of frequent flyer miles. No one is forcing them to go to school there and play volleyball. If it's a bad deal for volleyball players so be it.
Kind of a crappy way to look at it IMO. Just because you don’t like a sport doesn’t mean players and their well being don’t matter.

I feel like it would have been so easy for journalists and fans to pressure schools out of this move the way journalist and fans have and will now again crush the European Super League idea in soccer which is also a plan to rip apart the fabric of the sport to make money for the biggest clubs.

If I were a journalist, I would simply ask the B10 commissioner what he thinks the role of athletics are on a college campus. I’d ask him what the “mission statement” of B10 athletics is. I guarantee you it’s not to maximize profit. He’d say the goal is to enrich the lives of students and student athletes and provide an opportunity for engagement with alumni and the community. Realignment hurts every single one of those goals and journalists could have had a field day. But no, they work for ESPN and are complicit.

I know they aren’t what they used to be, but Boise St seems like a fit to the new Pac. Not sure why they are never brought up. They would add basically the entire tv market of Idaho.

I know they aren’t what they used to be, but Boise St seems like a fit to the new Pac. Not sure why they are never brought up. They would add basically the entire tv market of Idaho.
One of the worst academic schools in the country but that obviously doesn’t matter anymore when money is all that people care about. Can’t wait to see a conference matchup between Oregon and SMU! Thanks ESPN!

I feel like it would have been so easy for journalists and fans to pressure schools out of this move the way journalist and fans have and will now again crush the European Super League idea in soccer which is also a plan to rip apart the fabric of the sport to make money for the biggest clubs.

If I were a journalist, I would simply ask the B10 commissioner what he thinks the role of athletics are on a college campus. I’d ask him what the “mission statement” of B10 athletics is. I guarantee you it’s not to maximize profit. He’d say the goal is to enrich the lives of students and student athletes and provide an opportunity for engagement with alumni and the community. Realignment hurts every single one of those goals and journalists could have had a field day. But no, they work for ESPN and are complicit.
Comparing the influence of fans in college athletics and the European domestic leagues is absurd and I think you're vastly overestimating both the will and ability of college sports fans to do anything about it.

The European clubs are way more dependent on local support to even be allowed to display their product. The population of Los Angeles isn't going to threaten pitch invasions, boycots, blocking streets, and potential riots because the UCLA softball team might have to go to Pennsylvania every other year. Yeah Oklahoma loses Bedlam, but most people there are only going to give a shit that they keep the Texas game and can get the SEC network since a bunch of them have probably never been within 50 miles of Norman. It's not like a bunch of nerds from Durham are going to go to Chapel Hill and start lighting bleachers on fire in Kenan and stabbing people if UNC tried to leave the ACC.

One of the worst academic schools in the country but that obviously doesn’t matter anymore when money is all that people care about. Can’t wait to see a conference matchup between Oregon and SMU! Thanks ESPN!
Me too, but sincerely. Pony Up!

SMU's 32K seat stadium will be mainly green and yellow. Just like us when Clemson comes to town!

ESPN just released just a disgusting piece on the future of college sports. They confuse college football and college athletics multiple times, including saying that college sports are having a tumultuous offseason right now (uhhhh what?) and include a whole bunch of other garbage proving they care only about football.

One of the more angering sections is when they talk about realignment as if it just "happened" and they weren't the ones pulling the strings, and then they argue that it's time for college athletes to get a piece of the pie because the B10 and SEC have created a billion dollar industry. They said something along the lines of "soon enough something good will come for student-athletes.

Unbelievably tone deaf imo. Essentially, they're acting as if they're some savior arguing for the humble student-athlete despite the fact that the changes they have created materially hurt every non-football athlete, and football athletes at all but 32 schools. Their idea of college athletics, and their idea of student-athlete, has now narrowed to just 32 football programs. Shame on them and on us for letting them do this.

Back