• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Watched Mudbound over the weekend. It was pretty good, but felt kind of rushed (if a 2+ hour movie can be rushed). Will probably read the book because there was a good story in there... Just wasn't developed fully, imo.

Will probably start Wild Wild Country tonight... Need to watch the Andre the Giant doc on HBO sometime this week, too.

Last edited:
Watched the first two seasons of Into the Badlands great show.

I watched Amateur, which turned out to be very by the numbers/cookie cutter about an eighth grade basketball prospect. Some things were set up that never really paid off, had this social media aspect that came out of nowhere, and in general was just a 90 minute narrative about how our system in the U.S. screws over the kids but didn't have anything really interesting or new to discuss.

watched the first episode of Lost In Space with my kids and they dug it...adults liked it too.

Wife and I binge watched The Alienist (TNT KNOWS DRAMA) this weekend. I hadn’t heard anything about it but she listens to the “my favorite murder” podcast and they referenced the show. We gave it a shot and got hooked. Very good with a somewhat anticlimactic end but all around I enjoyed the detective work of the mind set in 1896 NYC.

Some of the articles I’ve read about WWC talk about the conflict and difficulty deciding who is in he right and who is wrong, in the early years. I watched the whole series pretty quickly, and never felt that any of the cult leaders were anything but the bad guy. I kind of felt sorry for the lawyer and Australian woman. But they were still in the wrong. The ending is funny.

I'm 4/6 of the way through WWC. I can take the cult's side for the first bit. Seems like they purchased the ranch land legally, purchased the land in the town of Antelope legally, obtained seats in Antelope city government legally. At the time their hotel was bombed, I don't think they had done anything violent and their main illegal activities were immigration fraud and not using land according to zoning (not using the ranch as a ranch) but neither of those merit getting your hotel bombed. Can't really defend Sheela and the cult beyond that though. Curious to see the ending tonight even though I generally know what happens in the story.

Wife and I binge watched The Alienist (TNT KNOWS DRAMA) this weekend. I hadn’t heard anything about it but she listens to the “my favorite murder” podcast and they referenced the show. We gave it a shot and got hooked. Very good with a somewhat anticlimactic end but all around I enjoyed the detective work of the mind set in 1896 NYC.

I read the book ages ago when I was a kid/teen -- it got a lot of hype at the time, I was really surprised it wasn't made into a movie/tv before this -- and I was interested in the show because I remembered loving the book (no idea how it would age), but I read some less-than-stellar reviews so I just forgot about it. I may give it a shot and maybe re-read the book, which I think I still have.

I'm 4/6 of the way through WWC. I can take the cult's side for the first bit. Seems like they purchased the ranch land legally, purchased the land in the town of Antelope legally, obtained seats in Antelope city government legally. At the time their hotel was bombed, I don't think they had done anything violent and their main illegal activities were immigration fraud and not using land according to zoning (not using the ranch as a ranch) but neither of those merit getting your hotel bombed. Can't really defend Sheela and the cult beyond that though. Curious to see the ending tonight even though I generally know what happens in the story.

This is pretty much where I am at, as well. Will watch episode 6 tonight.

Wife and I have really enjoyed it... It is a cast of characters (on both sides) that is almost too good to be real. My only criticism is that they only touch on some of the topics/events that I found most interesting (the actual beliefs of the cult, more specifics on Osho, where all of the money to build in Oregon came from, the sex stuff, the relationship between Osho & Sheela, etc).

Music has been great... Have been listening to a Spotify playlist all day. Sour, Strange Things, Run From Me, & A.M. AM are all great songs.

Krishna Deva & John Silvertooth have been my two favorite characters, if I had to pick one from each group.

Totally agree about wanting more re: beliefs, money, and where the followers came from.

I read the book ages ago when I was a kid/teen -- it got a lot of hype at the time, I was really surprised it wasn't made into a movie/tv before this -- and I was interested in the show because I remembered loving the book (no idea how it would age), but I read some less-than-stellar reviews so I just forgot about it. I may give it a shot and maybe re-read the book, which I think I still have.

Nice, I had no idea it was based off the book. Book is probably better than the show, which isn’t perfect, but I thought it was well done.

I’m a sucker for true crime books/movies, especially historical non-fiction. Apparently the Alienist is based loosely off a famous Boston serial killer who murdered boys.

Jerry Bledsoe is my jam. The murders, especially considering they were local to NC, are fascinating to me.

Totally agree about wanting more re: beliefs, money, and where the followers came from.

Agreed. They had seven plus hours and never addressed exactly what the Rajneeshees' belief system was. And it would have been nice to have the perspective of a family member of a Rajneeshee or a disenchanted former believer aside from the Australian woman. It also would have been interesting if the interviewers ever challenged any of the interviewees' statements. Sheela and the attorney in particular never really have to account for attempting to murder multiple people, orchestrating the biggest bioterror attack in U.S. history, drugging hundreds of people without their consent, etc.

The film was also very misleading in the way it portrayed the Hotel Rajneesh bombing. They imply that angry locals opposed to the commune did it when an Islamist terrorist group was responsible.

For someone who clearly thinks she is the smartest person in the room, Sheela consistently made terrible decisions.

If you liked WWC and you're interested in cults/new religious movements, you might want to check out the following:
-Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
-Heaven's Gate Podcast by Glyn Washington
-Going Clear by Lawrence Wright
-Holy Hell documentary

Finally, my wife informs me that Mandy Moore had a Rajneeshee-themed birthday party in Big Sur over the weekend. https://decider.com/2018/04/16/mandy-moore-wild-wild-country-party/

The Andre the Giant bio would be very good without this particular topic, but because about 3 to 5 minutes were fully dedicated to Andre's giant farts, this documentary went to the next level up.

The Andre the Giant bio would be very good without this particular topic, but because about 3 to 5 minutes were fully dedicated to Andre's giant farts, this documentary went to the next level up.

Back