• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

The more I think about The Rehearsal the more I believe it’s one of the best television series I’ve ever seen. Watching the season I experienced a gamut of emotions, and a level of wonder and confusion and bewilderment that I have never experienced from television. It’s exciting, funny, frustrating, confusing, sad. Every episode has a unique story, but also furthers the series long running mystery about the creator and star of the show. There’s so much to say about it, but everyone seems to have their own belief about the truth of it, and when you discuss it you discover even more depth and confusion. I just love it.

This is hyperbole I’m sure but it feels like Nathan Fielder has opened up or at least greatly expanded the medium of cinema verite for television. I am very excited to see what he does next.

Last edited:
Why does every new tv show have to be transcendent?

It doesn't. It's just that there was a lot of hype around how good The Bear was. I really enjoyed it, but I kept waiting for it to become amazing... and it didn't.

But who cares what I think? Obviously, your opinion is the only one that really matters. I still watch Big Brother.

Why does every new tv show have to be transcendent?

b/c time is the fire in which we burn

you think we want to die having watched a middling millenial-ized version of a Jane Austen novel when we could've been watching a transcendent modern take on Hamlet through the eyes of billionaires?

I started Untold: the Girlfriend who did not Exist, about Manti Te'o and the first episode was gripping from start to finish. There is so much in there that you missed from reading the stories about what happened. He is able to talk about what happened in such an honest way, which is probably a benefit of the time that has passed.

Yeah so did anyone else watch this because it was totally nuts. I remember the story from when it happened but had no idea the true extent of it. Insanely compelling doc.

you think we want to die having watched a middling millenial-ized version of a Jane Austen novel when we could've been watching a transcendent modern take on Hamlet through the eyes of billionaires?

What does this mean

Yeah so did anyone else watch this because it was totally nuts. I remember the story from when it happened but had no idea the true extent of it. Insanely compelling doc.

It was good but glossed over a lot of the issues that were raised back then. Like why did he never once try to visit her in the hospital? Or even go to her funeral? I'm sure some ND booster would have flown him out to CA and back no problem.

Plus the producers were clearly struggling to walk the line portraying here is this tranny who, if you believe their production, caused all this havoc but let's pretend there is not anything unusual about that. By trying to be too nonchalant about it, it comes off as a hit piece on trans people because they just let that hang out there without even addressing his individual instability at all.

I’ve now heard about a dozen people comment on the Manti Teo documentary, and their opinions on how it reflects on trans people all seem to follow their preconceived beliefs towards trans people. This was a sad confused person who did a cruel thing for selfish reasons, their being gay or now trans, is secondary to the story IMO - the girlfriend wouldn’t have been any more or less real

I’ve now heard about a dozen people comment on the Manti Teo documentary, and their opinions on how it reflects on trans people all seem to follow their preconceived beliefs towards trans people. This was a sad confused person who did a cruel thing for selfish reasons, their being gay or now trans, is secondary to the story IMO - the girlfriend wouldn’t have been any more or less real

You are following your preconceived beliefs by calling him/her a "sad confused person". If he was a non-trans person, you would rightfully say he is a fucking lunatic who should be committed. But because he is trans, he is just sad and confused and nobody can say he should be committed because somehow that could be perceived as all trans people should be committed.

And that was my problem with that aspect of the documentary. They started off with the clips of him playing HS QB and basically intertwined his trans progression with the Teo duping. They were silent about his transition other than to highlight that nobody knew about it until the documentary was filmed. Did one cause the other or were they unrelated? The silence about that elephant in the room is what pushes it from secondary to primary. Would he have created the girlfriend if he had not been trans?

You are following your preconceived beliefs by calling him/her a "sad confused person".

Sure. I believe that anyone who is struggling with their sexual or gender identity is sad and confused. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t be struggling. As for the rest of your post, your question is asinine and and it would have been offensive for the filmmakers to introduce that idea. It is in no way the “elephant in the room”. All types of people lie about their identities online.

Sure. I believe that anyone who is struggling with their sexual or gender identity is sad and confused. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t be struggling. As for the rest of your post, your question is asinine and and it would have been offensive for the filmmakers to introduce that idea. It is in no way the “elephant in the room”. All types of people lie about their identities online.

To the point of becoming a fake girlfriend for arguably the most famous player in all of college football at the time? Who happens to be a dude, when the liar is also a dude, but then said liar doesn't want to be a dude any more so the next time anyone sees him he is a 300lb woman? And to the point that it becomes literally the biggest news story in the nation for a period of time? Sure, that happens all the time.

To the point of becoming a fake girlfriend for arguably the most famous player in all of college football at the time? Who happens to be a dude, when the liar is also a dude, but then said liar doesn't want to be a dude any more so the next time anyone sees him he is a 300lb woman? And to the point that it becomes literally the biggest news story in the nation for a period of time? Sure, that happens all the time.

You may not realize it, but what you are doing is conflating transgenderism with catfishing, and that’s hateful. This person wanted the online social experience of being an attractive woman, so they deceived people with a fake identity inorder to have that experience. That’s the definition of catfishing. A cishetero man going on dating apps and using out dated photos and exaggerated personal information is a form of catfishing. Has nothing to do with being trans, has all to do with lying about who you are to gain something you wouldn’t have gotten otherwise.

Pretty impressive that they managed to make Uncharted as dull as it is. Banderas is the only one who didn't phone it in. Whalberg as Sully was just an awful choice.

You may not realize it, but what you are doing is conflating transgenderism with catfishing, and that’s hateful. This person wanted the online social experience of being an attractive woman, so they deceived people with a fake identity inorder to have that experience. That’s the definition of catfishing. A cishetero man going on dating apps and using out dated photos and exaggerated personal information is a form of catfishing. Has nothing to do with being trans, has all to do with lying about who you are to gain something you wouldn’t have gotten otherwise.

No I am not conflating the two, but they are intertwined in this instance. If he was a cishetero man, would he have wanted the online social experience of being an attractive woman that you mention? And, more directly, if he was a cishetero man, would he have catfished Manti Teo via said identity?

Pretty impressive that they managed to make Uncharted as dull as it is. Banderas is the only one who didn't phone it in. Whalberg as Sully was just an awful choice.

Wahlberg is just a terrible actor and the last choice I'd want for some globetrotting adventure movie, a Masshole named Sully.

This. It's not even Jumanji or Jungle Cruise levels of enjoyable.

It's like they combined the worst elements of Indiana Jones and National Treasure, but then decided to let Wahlberg be the Ford/Cage.

I dont know how to use the search function on here correctly because I’m an idiot so Im sure this has been discussed. But my son got me watching The Boys and I’m on season 2 and really enjoy it.

Back