• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reddit's College Football Hierarchy of Allegiance - agree or disagree with the list?

1. Alma mater
2. Childhood team
3. Underdog
4. Animals I like as mascots (where is this on the list, seriously guys)

I went to Wake Law and UGA undergrad, but I consider Georgia to be my NFL team and Wake as my college team. I was at both schools for 3 years and my best friends are from Wake rather than UGA. My dad, mom and brother all went to Troy, but until recently, they weren't FBS, so I never really developed an allegiance to them. My dad raised me Auburn, but once I went to Georgia, I developed a good ol' fashioned hate for them. I attend more Wake sporting events and would probably end up rooting for whichever team needed the win more if they ever faced off. In basketball, I pulled for Wake since basketball means little to UGA. I still remember the D.A. Layne game with disappointment, for example. I'm pretty close to a sports polygamist.

This is pretty close to me too. FSU undergrad and this week (my personal civil war) is one of the hardest for me every year. I pull for both teams when they aren't playing eachother and for the team that it helps the most to win (obviously FSU this year, as the Noles are still in the national championship hunt (though may not deserve to be at this point). I feel a much deeper connection to Wake than to FSU, but I definitely can't abandon the Noles.

OK, really drunk.

I've updated.

1. Deacs.

10. TEXAS
11. ACC (except duke)

the only people who care why other people cheer for their teams are uber donk face painters that probably went to a middling athletic school. i guess that's why evryone here agrees with the list.

OR they're trying to figure out how someone becomes a die-hard cowboys, mariners, wake forest, manU fan

Tennessee - 1/3

Wake - 7

I like them both alot. More fun to follow UT bc of being in Knoxville, SEC, and amount of info available at all times. Root for the deacs hard though.

Need to add a rule for fans of also ran SEC programs -> root for your conference so you can chant S-E-C, even though you have no hopes of winning a conference title.

I get a lot of shit from random, moronic strangers about liking Wake and Alabama. I don't see the "kid goes there" option, but that's a pretty solid one. I don't know anyone who has a kid at a school other than his alma mater who doesn't support that team. The only exception, of course, is Duke/Carolina/State. My kids all know that those schools never, ever, ever would receive my approval :thumbsup:

Go Paladins?!?

Can/should there be some modification to rule #1 if your alma mater is a FCS school?

In their hierarchy, my schools are
1 Wake
2. U of Delaware. It may not be that big time, but when you are in town...
3. Duke
4/7. Penn State (X 2)
5. UGA
6/7. U of Delaware
8. Army

Last edited:
I think 3 and 4 can be pretty close.

I went to Wake which is always clearly who I support most. Law school at Alabama and grew up as a huge Villanova fan, went to their games, my dad is an alum etc. I was pretty torn two years ago when Bama and Nova played in basketball.

I get a lot of shit from random, moronic strangers about liking Wake and Alabama. I don't see the "kid goes there" option, but that's a pretty solid one. I don't know anyone who has a kid at a school other than his alma mater who doesn't support that team. The only exception, of course, is Duke/Carolina/State. My kids all know that those schools never, ever, ever would receive my approval :thumbsup:

At the cost wake is currently at...I can see myself being much more open to my kids attending State. Carolina can of course go to hell!

My College Heirarchy

1. Wake
2. LSU

Went to HS in BR, so tons of friends that went there. Plus, the two teams arent playing the same league (or arguably in the same sport for the last few years), so its not a hard dichotomy.

I was born in Atlanna so liked GT as a kid, but no love for them now at all.

I've got Wake at 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. I think that makes me Fan Man.

My second team is Army (4 & 8).

This is is interesting to me because I didnt think there were many UT/WF fans out there. That was until the "Frat Bowl" between Wake and Ole Miss a few years back in Winston. I brought a ton of Tennessee folk down and we popped up a Power T tent. The Ole Miss people were freaking out. They kept saying how they thought they were coming to Winston for a laid back game and how pissed they were that we were blaring Rocky Top.

Anyways, some middle aged guy comes over to our tent to survey the scene. He grabs me and and buddy and takes us to his car, which was parked close by. He's got a WF tire cover and an NC plate that said "All Vol". Anyways, it was an awesome game with Swankameyer nailing the FG for the win.

That was the first home game my freshman year. Probably one of the best home games in Wake history. Might be one of the best (read: competitive, high level of play, exciting ending) games period in Wake history.

I mean whose moronic those questioning why you like wake an elite private school and alabama a massive flagship state school or the person spending out of state tuition to send their kid to well alabama a massive flagship state school in alabama when they don't live there.

I disagree with the hierarchy. It doesn't take into account how good the teams are. It's very difficult to become a fan of a terrible team without an initial spark.

My personal list goes:
1) Wake
3) UAB
4) Auburn

Wake was terrible while I was there in the early Caldwell era. My four years we went 3-8, 1-10, 3-8, 5-6. Heading into my senior year we had only won 2 conference games in 3 years. Students didn't care at all about football. Most of the time we would tailgate in the parking lot and leave when the game started. On the rare occasion that we actually went in the stadium we would be gone by halftime. I had minimal connection or loyalty to the football team when I graduated, other than wanting my alma mater to succeed in general. Wake football was an afterthought until the 2006 season. Since then, I have much more of an interest, but the lack of anything resembling a competitive team for a sustained period of time during my formative sports years will always impede my ability to truly care...unless they start consistently putting out a better product. That is the exact reason why the [Redacted] Error was so dangerous for Wake in terms of long term alumni loyalty.

I went to grad school at UAB, which is more pathetic than Wake was in the mid/late 90s. I have never cared, do not care, and will never care anything about UAB football.

Auburn was my parents alma mater and childhood team. I went to 4-5 games each year until going to Wake. They play in the premiere conference for college football. They have had multiple periods of sustained success, especially during my formative fandom years.

If I'm honest with myself, I'm more of an Auburn football fan than Wake football fan. I don't care about nor follow any other sports at Auburn and go for Wake in everything else college but football.

Back