• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

To be clear, there are huge problems facing this community worthy of our attention. This ain't one of them, but God bless the low-investment, look-at-mee crowd. #saveourgirls

And instead of bringing those problems up and talking about them, you choose to make fun of people who are bringing up problems you don't deem worthy. Seems like a productive use of time from the sidelines.

Your argument was that natives have less access to phone and Internet which in turn caused them to not be represented in the surveys done - which is not accurate. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing - that there are reservations that lag behind getting connected to "modern culture"? Sure - there are Podunk places in west Carolina that do too.

I wasn't arguing that.

You said that the vast majority of native people live in suburban/urban areas with access to internet, phone, clean water, etc.

I think that statement is inaccurate and provided support. And for almost all of the measurements of poverty, Indian Country lags behind the rest of the nation. So you can't just dismiss it with "there are podunk places everywhere."

Bro - for fucks sake, pay attention - tribal lands account for 25% of the native population, and over 50% have broadband - you are trying to make a point based on 12% of a population - and even if that 12% was SOOO enraged by it, it would still be a vast majority that wouldn't care about the topic. Shocker, it's not an issue for them either.

Jesus man, learn math.

I wasn't arguing that.

You said that the vast majority of native people live in suburban/urban areas with access to internet, phone, clean water, etc.

I think that statement is inaccurate and provided support. And for almost all of the measurements of poverty, Indian Country lags behind the rest of the nation. So you can't just dismiss it with "there are podunk places everywhere."

Yes I can. 70%+ is a vast majority. It mirrors the population of the USA - have you been to East Tennessee in the mountains? I dug outhouses there a couple of summers ago for a bunch of rednecks - guess what, there are podunk places everywhere. There are also reservations and native lands that are out in the middle of nowhere - but we are talking about a small percentage.

And instead of bringing those problems up and talking about them, you choose to make fun of people who are bringing up problems you don't deem worthy. Seems like a productive use of time from the sidelines.

I'll keep wasting my time focusing on such speculative, unproven theories like family structure, completing your free public education and entering the workforce. You keep changing the world one hashtag at a time. It's hard to argue with success, right?

Bro - for fucks sake, pay attention - tribal lands account for 25% of the native population, and over 50% have broadband - you are trying to make a point based on 12% of a population - and even if that 12% was SOOO enraged by it, it would still be a vast majority that wouldn't care about the topic. Shocker, it's not an issue for them either.

Jesus man, learn math.

If only one person is offended, it's five people too many.

Access to internet stats were 54% (IC) vs. 94% for the rest of the population as a whole. That's not just "there are podunk places everywhere."

Access to internet stats were 54% (IC) vs. 94% for the rest of the population as a whole. That's not just "there are podunk places everywhere."

The numbers were broadband internet, not regular internet or mobile phones - and that stat was from 2010 in the document earlier - the change from then to now is huge.

Either way, my last post came off mean towards you - it was not intentional - I think you have argued a good point, I disagree with it, but you have been been upfront.

I appreciate that.

There should be room for debate on this issue between the extremes of "its just like the n-word" and "PC run amok."

The name doesn't personally offend me because I'm not native. But I happen to think that native mascots can perpetuate bad stereotypes among less educated people who have little to no interaction with native people. It leads to unwanted behavior of fans, misappropriating native culture/traditions.

I don't think that position is that extreme. The Wapo poll probably ends the public debate for now. And I think it is unfortunate that the poll effectively silences the voices of native people that are trying to participate in the debate.

I appreciate that.

There should be room for debate on this issue between the extremes of "its just like the n-word" and "PC run amok."

The name doesn't personally offend me because I'm not native. But I happen to think that native mascots can perpetuate bad stereotypes among less educated people who have little to no interaction with native people. It leads to unwanted behavior of fans, misappropriating native culture/traditions.

I don't think that position is that extreme. The Wapo poll probably ends the public debate for now. And I think it is unfortunate that the poll effectively silences the voices of native people that are trying to participate in the debate.

What stereotypes are they? That modern Native Americans are riding around on horses wearing headdresses and scalping people? Come on, man. I have a pretty low view of the intelligence of my fellow Americans, but even I wouldn't go that far.

And even if that is the stereotype, that is a pretty fucking metal stereotype to have against you.

I appreciate that.

Do you believe that the highest educated Americans have more interactions with indigenous peoples than the Dumbs? Lot of Yalies and Stanford grads working alongside native peoples on reservations in the mountain west regions in your experience? Quit drinking your own juice, man.

What stereotypes are they? That modern Native Americans are riding around on horses wearing headdresses and scalping people? Come on, man. I have a pretty low view of the intelligence of my fellow Americans, but even I wouldn't go that far.

And even if that is the stereotype, that is a pretty fucking metal stereotype to have against you.

savages, alcoholics, lazy, etc

savages, alcoholics, lazy, etc

Right, because alcoholics and lazy are stereotypes commonly associate with a football team. And savages in this context, to the extent it is being used, is being used in a positive way. How is this any different than Celtics? I think there is even more of a theoretical alcoholism connection with that one.

Right, because alcoholics and lazy are stereotypes commonly associate with a football team. And savages in this context, to the extent it is being used, is being used in a positive way. How is this any different than Celtics? I think there is even more of a theoretical alcoholism connection with that one.

Nothing theoretical about it, deuces.

2v18cxt.jpg

I laughed.

Jesus man, learn math.

The only point I ever tried to make was that poll numbers involving this issue aren't the most accurate.

Your response has been "who cares if its accurate, it still doesn't matter."

I wasn't saying if you were able to poll every Native American that lives on tribal lands then the vote would be a landslide against the team name. But when your entire argument is that so few people care about it, pointing out that more could actually care than is being reported is a relevant fact.

But like I said, you (typically) aren't going to change your mind, regardless of how many people are offended.

And good look reaching out to the Native population to work on the "real issues" when its such a life-ender to change a potentially offensive NAME of a sports team. I'm sure they'll really trust that progress can be made.

Back