• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

If someone was telling their life story, they’d probably leave out the part where they led an armed insurrection against duly elected people based on the color of their skin and were considered a hero as a result.

The “history of the South” is a collection of such stories.

If someone was telling their life story, they’d probably leave out the part where they led an armed insurrection against duly elected people based on the color of their skin and were considered a hero as a result.

Correct me if I am wrong. I assume you did not take the course "History of the South" presented by David Smiley at Wake Forest University.

Correct me if I am wrong. I assume you did not take the course "History of the South" presented by David Smiley at Wake Forest University.

PH, did you take Dr. Smileys’ course?

The Tarheel nickname was around before the Civil War, although it is mostly associated with it. I can give that one a pass.

But the Kenan and Flagler family names should be absolutely nowhere on that campus. They are both heavily associated with the Wilmington Massacre and white supremacy during the Jim Crow era in NC.

I grew up in NC, was an avid history lover, and hadn't heard about the Wilmington Massacre (Race Riot) until I was studying for my Social Studies Teaching Praxis a few years ago. The whitewashing of that event by our state education system is unforgivable. The only successful coup d'etat of elected government in U.S. history.

Yeah count me in the NC education system who never heard of this either. Maybe I missed that day.

We also had a high school health teacher who taught about GonoSyphaHerpes or some ridiculous shit too so maybe it’s a systemic issue

PH, did you take Dr. Smileys’ course?

No. I wasn't referring to the course. That's why I used small "h" "history."

The “history of the South” exists beyond one course taught by one person.

We also had a high school health teacher who taught about GonoSyphaHerpes or some ridiculous shit too so maybe it’s a systemic issue

Now, i remember this lesson. I was always so distracted by all the skin tags. Weird memory.

Okay. It's Kitchin. Maybe you got autocorrected.
Ha - or I just spelled it wrong. That's why I was a History major and not an English major. Either way, Kitchin's bro was a very bad person.

Report: Investors send letters asking Nike, FedEx, PepsiCo to terminate relationships with Redskins

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/report-investors-send-letters-asking-nike-fedex-pepsico-terminate-relationships-redskins

Investment firms and shareholders worth a collective $620 billion have asked Nike, FedEx and PepsiCo to terminate their business relationships with the Washington Redskins unless the team agrees to change its name, according to a report by Adweek on Wednesday.

The report says three separate letters signed by 87 investment firms and shareholders were written Friday to the three major corporations.

Report: Investors send letters asking Nike, FedEx, PepsiCo to terminate relationships with Redskins

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/report-investors-send-letters-asking-nike-fedex-pepsico-terminate-relationships-redskins

Investment firms and shareholders worth a collective $620 billion have asked Nike, FedEx and PepsiCo to terminate their business relationships with the Washington Redskins unless the team agrees to change its name, according to a report by Adweek on Wednesday.

The report says three separate letters signed by 87 investment firms and shareholders were written Friday to the three major corporations.

Now people are speaking to Snyder in a language he understands. He understands dollarese very well. He can ignore messages sent in other ways.

Won’t change. Snyder is dug in and is fuck you rich. Where have you guys been the last 20 years? Shitty product but damn good at standing his ground.

it really is baffling how a team named "Redskins" is still allowed to happen. my god.

Won’t change. Snyder is dug in and is fuck you rich. Where have you guys been the last 20 years? Shitty product but damn good at standing his ground.

Well if the title sponsor (Fedex) pulls its name from the stadium, Pepsico refuses to sell product to him (and is joined by Coca Cola), and Nike says that they will no longer make jersies with the team name or logo and provide shoes (again, joined by other manufacturers) life could be rough for Snyder.

I believe a change will be announced within the next 6 months.

Dan Snyder is a little strange stubborn lonely dude.

He was a loser at life and then hit it big with a direct mail business (which was really right place/right time, but credit to him for taking advantage). He then fell into the Redskins when Jack Kent Cooke died, and the winning ownership group had to pull out. Doubt there is an owner of any major sports franchise that has worse social skills than Dan Snyder. He hides from the media; the few times when he does make public comments, he is incredibly uneasy and unsure of himself for someone in his position; it's just painful to watch. From every report, Snyder essentially has no friends, which is why Bruce Allen lasted so long in DC despite his awful record as team president and general manager; essentially Snyder was completely reliant on Allen because he had no ability to communicate with others to find replacements. This also explains why the Redskins have been so dreadful under Snyder.

Snyder has long taken the position that he will never change the team name (Snyder grew up in the DC area and has been a life-long Redskins fans), but the world is closing in on him on this issue. Just not sure if there is anyone available to counsel him and help him find a way to change the name, but keep much of the team tradition. The team name is going to change; Snyder may as well take the lead use it to turn a negative situation into a positive one, and then market the hell out of the new franchise name. The next step is going to be Goodell putting pressure on Snyder.

Back