• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

Woodrow Call Ana Augustus McCrae are American heroes.

Woodrow Call Ana Augustus McCrae are American heroes.

But did they hate Blue Duck because he kidnapped and raped women or because of his skin tone? Was Deets really their friend or just the token black guy?

Woodrow hated rude behavior in a man and wouldn’t tolerate it, but he had a six hour mini series to take a stance against racism and didn’t take it. I think that tells us all we need to know...

I had no idea the Cincy baseball stadium was named for Marge Schott in 2004 eight years after she was banned from MLB for supporting Hitler.

That is recent.

Yeah, she was a laughingstock in her last years. I think she walked her dog on the baseball field and it pooped on it. She was too old (filter off) to hide her racism, anti-Semiticism. She was pressured to sell her team. I didn't realize they named the stadium after her either. Really weird. Was it her or her husband?

It's named Marge Schott Stadium. But the UC BOT just voted to remove her name from the stadium and a space in the archives library.

Wow. So it is not a Kenan Stadium situation, where UNC named it after a violent racist who shot up Wilmington, then changed their story to have it named after his not-so-racist son. Same name, now different origin. Keeps big donor Kenan family happy, and keeps UNC on the right side of history for now (or gives them a pass). Rumblings by opposing fans for UNC to change their name from Tar Heels. UNC doing mental gymnastics to now say it is about lowly tar/pitch/turpentine workers, and not about Civil War. Fails sniff test, but nobody is pressing the issue from within. It's the Carolina Way (they get to have it both ways, and then condescend about it).

But back to Cincy, wtf were they thinking?

Wow. So it is not a Kenan Stadium situation, where UNC named it after a violent racist who shot up Wilmington, then changed their story to have it named after his not-so-racist son. Same name, now different origin. Keeps big donor Kenan family happy, and keeps UNC on the right side of history for now (or gives them a pass). Rumblings by opposing fans for UNC to change their name from Tar Heels. UNC doing mental gymnastics to now say it is about lowly tar/pitch/turpentine workers, and not about Civil War. Fails sniff test, but nobody is pressing the issue from within. It's the Carolina Way (they get to have it both ways, and then condescend about it).

Wow. Never knew the story behind Kenan Stadium.

There is (was?) a large part of Cincy Zoo named after her. She must be a big donor.

UNC would have us believe that during an extremely racist time in its (and the State's) history, that it chose its mascot for non-racist reasons. Riiiight.
If we're doing this, nobody gets a pass right? We have to do the right thing even if it costs something.

The Tarheel nickname was around before the Civil War, although it is mostly associated with it. I can give that one a pass.

But the Kenan and Flagler family names should be absolutely nowhere on that campus. They are both heavily associated with the Wilmington Massacre and white supremacy during the Jim Crow era in NC.

I grew up in NC, was an avid history lover, and hadn't heard about the Wilmington Massacre (Race Riot) until I was studying for my Social Studies Teaching Praxis a few years ago. The whitewashing of that event by our state education system is unforgivable. The only successful coup d'etat of elected government in U.S. history.

Last edited:
The Tarheel nickname was around before the Civil War, although it is mostly associated with it. I can give that one a pass.

But the Kenan and Flagler family names should be absolutely nowhere on that campus. They are both heavily associated with the Wilmington Massacre and white supremacy during the Jim Crow era in NC.

I grew up in NC, was an avid history lover, and hadn't heard about the Wilmington Massacre (Race Riot) until I was studying for my Social Studies Teaching Praxis a few years ago. The whitewashing of that event by our state education system is unforgivable. The only successful coup d'etat of elected government in U.S. history.

Reading the book - "Wilmington Lies" now. Those are my thoughts exactly - how did I just learn about this in the last year? Growing up in NC and majoring in history at Wake? Whitewashed from history, completely. So many future governors of NC were involved, and I believe Thurman Kitchen was the brother of one of the main conspirators as well (Claude Kitchen). He was quite a bit younger, but all 7 Kitchen brothers attended Wake. The history of the massacre is deep and dark, and many "famous" people in NC history were involved. Also - here is a quick synopsis by the N&O from 2006 - that newspaper was as complicit as anyone else: https://media2.newsobserver.com/content/media/2010/5/3/ghostsof1898.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2lkPovYryN3otrcj7tgb5VNRPUadgAyNrvioOtpURpVe8ZjeBaHVRd0DI

The statues, building names, and other honors ARE erasing history. Taking down the statues and stripping the names are part of the process of learning the real history.

I think it was Coates who said something like white men are celebrated for their violence and black men are celebrated for their non-violent response to that violence. US history is full of “great men” whose “greatness” was doing irreparable damage to Native Americans, Black people, Mexicans, Chinese, Japanese, and any number of non-European immigrants.

Reading the book - "Wilmington Lies" now. Those are my thoughts exactly - how did I just learn about this in the last year? Growing up in NC and majoring in history at Wake? Whitewashed from history, completely. So many future governors of NC were involved, and I believe Thurman Kitchen was the brother of one of the main conspirators as well (Claude Kitchen). He was quite a bit younger, but all 7 Kitchen brothers attended Wake. The history of the massacre is deep and dark, and many "famous" people in NC history were involved. Also - here is a quick synopsis by the N&O from 2006 - that newspaper was as complicit as anyone else: https://media2.newsobserver.com/content/media/2010/5/3/ghostsof1898.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2lkPovYryN3otrcj7tgb5VNRPUadgAyNrvioOtpURpVe8ZjeBaHVRd0DI

Did you go to Wake ?

Back