• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reliving the 1995 ACC Tournament

Glad his scoring record still stands. It will fall eventually with so many players having the opportunity to play 4 or 5 games in the tournament now.

My college roommate, his wife, and I went down to his parents place at Topsail Beach that weekend. It was cold as hell - maybe around 20-30 degrees and we kept going outside during commercial breaks all 3 games trying to calm down a bit. All 3 of those games provided such an intense adrenaline rush. I remember driving back towards Raleigh on Sunday night and we are the champions came on the radio. After enduring 1986-1990 at Wake, that moment brought such pure joy and satisfaction.

saw that tourney in person with my dad and I'll never forget it. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago

My college roommate, his wife, and I went down to his parents place at Topsail Beach that weekend. It was cold as hell - maybe around 20-30 degrees and we kept going outside during commercial breaks all 3 games trying to calm down a bit. All 3 of those games provided such an intense adrenaline rush. I remember driving back towards Raleigh on Sunday night and we are the champions came on the radio. After enduring 1986-1990 at Wake, that moment brought such pure joy and satisfaction.

I remember warm weather that weekend in WS. We were watching the game at my parents house and we had all the doors and windows open so that we could smoke cigars while we watched. They helped calm the nerves.

Yeah, it was definitely warm in Raleigh that weekend.

I did these a while back. They used to be on the old Deacon Archives site. Quality isn't great as I had to go VHS to digital, but I edited down each game of the 95 tourney to all the Childress highlights. Link below is for highlights from the Duke game. I'll upload the UVa and UNC ones one this thread when I have a chance.

Childress highlights: Wake vs Duke, 1995 ACC Tournament

I did these a while back. They used to be on the old Deacon Archives site. Quality isn't great as I had to go VHS to digital, but I edited down each game of the 95 tourney to all the Childress highlights. Link below is for highlights from the Duke game. I'll upload the UVa and UNC ones one this thread when I have a chance.

Childress highlights: Wake vs Duke, 1995 ACC Tournament

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

My siblings & the guy I was dating at the time joined me at my apartment to watch the 1995 championship game. My roommate at the time had been out late the night before & we woke her up cheering at the end of regulation. She wandered out, asked us what was going on, and we told her Wake and Carolina were going to OT. She was not a sports fan at all, yet she sat down to watch OT and when Childress drained that last shot and Wake won, she was cheering as loud as the rest of us & jumping down with me! Still brings a tear to my eye...:)

Sad that's the only thing we have to hold on to year after year. It was an awesome 3 days though.

Well, we did win it the following year. Granted, it wasn't as dramatic/historic.

But, I get your point.

And the Rutland injury followed by the news 3 hours later, we would be in Kentucky's bracket.

3 cool things I noticed in looking back at those videos:

(1) Everybody who wasn't a Carolina fan in the stands was pulling for Wake.
(2) Duncan appeared to alter Stackhouse's 3 attempt at the end. He didn't block it or tip it, but Stackhouse shot it a bit to the left.
(3) Retardo Peral was in some seriously awful rebounding position on the tip.

I destroyed a wooden chair in my basement when we went down 17 to dook. It got legendary after that.

Back