• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Renting a metal detector?

Jeff Fatt

Reaction score
I'm talking about the kind you see the old guy at the beach with. Does anyone know where you can rent these? I believe some guns were dumped on my property following a police chase (yes I live in a nice area) and would like to find the guns before a neighborhood kid does. I found a speed loader for a revolver and a clip for a semi automatic both loaded with hollow point bullets on Sat while working in the yard, and would like to get rid of anything else that may have been dumped on my property. The police were no help.

pawn shop to get one cheap?
ask friends?

ive never heard of anyone renting one like a carpet cleaner at the grocery store.

You can buy one at harbor freight for under $50, plus they always have coupons to make it even cheaper

Pawn shop or Aaron type place. Those places have everything. The pawn shop would probably let you buy it and sell it back to them for a nominal amount if you explain the situation. Or, you could just call the cops. That kinda is a job they should be doing anyway (dogs and all).

I didn't know they were that cheap. I'll check out those options. The cops just told me to call them if I find anything, so I guess if a kid in the neighborhood finds a gun on my property and shoots himself, I'll just call the cops...

You can probably get one at Radio Shack pretty cheap. I had one from there when I was a kid and it was like $50 25 years ago.

I didn't know they were that cheap. I'll check out those options. The cops just told me to call them if I find anything, so I guess if a kid in the neighborhood finds a gun on my property and shoots himself, I'll just call the cops...

Did you call after you found the clip and reloader?

Did you call after you found the clip and reloader?

Yes, and a cop came out and picked them up and walked around the property for about 5 minutes and said "just call us back if you find anything else".

1. find illegal guns
2. commit crimes
3. ?????
4. Blame it on the criminals!

I'm talking about the kind you see the old guy at the beach with. Does anyone know where you can rent these? I believe some guns were dumped on my property following a police chase (yes I live in a nice area) and would like to find the guns before a neighborhood kid does. I found a speed loader for a revolver and a clip for a semi automatic both loaded with hollow point bullets on Sat while working in the yard, and would like to get rid of anything else that may have been dumped on my property. The police were no help.

if you live in WS you can rent one at Hauser Rental off Stratford Rd near Hanes Mall

I'm in ATL suburbs. I'll check out what options there are around here. Too bad I can't then pawn any guns I find to offset my cost of metal detector but I'd rather see these assholes punished.

I'm in ATL suburbs. I'll check out what options there are around here. Too bad I can't then pawn any guns I find to offset my cost of metal detector but I'd rather see these assholes punished.

The Sunbelt rentals link in my previous post shows numerous locations in the metro ATL - $20/day rental

If they were just thrown away, the chance of them being traceable to the actual criminal who tossed them are almost nil.

The cops caught 4 of the 6 guys, so I'd think they could match fingerprints potentially, no?

The cops caught 4 of the 6 guys, so I'd think they could match fingerprints potentially, no?

Got ya...somehow forgot about the police chase part. I was thinking you just found weapons laying around, probably based of your description of the non-interest from police. The fact they haven't been out their searching around seems crazy if they have 4 folks locked up and good evidence that weapons were ditched on your property.

Back