• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rep. George Cleveland, R-Onslow Doesn't Believe in Extreme Poverty in NC

Abortion clinics on every corner is the only real answer. Hell I'd endorse giving a $100 stipend to every woman that got one.

If I were a lesser poster, I'd come up with a snapply one-liner like, "Your mom would be one rich woman." Luckily, I don't do that kind of thing, so that's just a theoretical post.

I don't recall anyone but me and my wife putting food on our table.

Most Dems aren't interested in doing things that actually work, they just want you to be stupid, dependent and need to keep those checks coming. The best vote buying scheme of all time. And the most shameful. Threating people with starvation and homelessness unless you vote for me and keep the checks coming.

Great post. I don't agree with everything SCDeac is saying on this thread (and I wholeheartedly disagree with Rep. Cleveland's idiotic statement) but this post is spot on.

How many of these people living in extreme poverty are working 40 hours/week? I'd like a legit answer. There has got to be some sort of study on this issue.

Too bad that threat is the truth. We've got a republican legislature in NC now. We'll probably have one after the next election as well, and a Republican governor too. So far they've accomplished the following for poor people in NC:

Put an anti gay marriage bill on the ballot
looked for ways to cut funding for head start, while contending that there is no extreme poverty in NC
Legalized corporate tax evasion (HB 619)
Worked to keep small and rural communities from offering broadband
Attacked the NC Association of Educators
Reduced medical malpractice liability to $500,000 (seriously, you're a vegetable and only get $500K)
Pushed for offshore energy exploration (jobs bill)
Cut funding to the UNC system
Played chicken with unemployment benefits

Where's the reform of the social safety net at the state level? Where's the state educational reform or investment?

Well I'm in SC and the only thing I can say is that our General Assembly easily tops your's in continually exceeding thier own record for stupidity. And that's an excellent question. Many of those reforms could definitely come at the state level. Instead we've had bills to:

Require SC and Clemson to play every year in football
A sexting ban for 12-17 year olds
Limits to the Freedom of Information Act
Banning sharia law
Creating more specialty license plates for pro-lifers and atheists
A sales tax holiday for gun purchases
Regulating where you can shoot fireworks
Regulation of gambling machines
Banning bath salts

Real hard hitting stuff here.

Abortion clinics on every corner is the only real answer. Hell I'd endorse giving a $100 stipend to every woman that got one.

How about a program like they have in India....$10,000 to be voluntarily sterilized?

If I were a lesser poster, I'd come up with a snapply one-liner like, "Your mom would be one rich woman." Luckily, I don't do that kind of thing, so that's just a theoretical post.

Haha. The difference is that my parents had me in their 30's when they were well capable of raising a family. To them $100 wouldn't be nearly enough to have me aborted. Of course my mom is super Christian so its not like she would ever have one anyways.

However for plenty of the poor single moms out there an offer of $100 cash would surely convince them to abort. And in the long run that would save our society millions of dollars. Win...Mother Fucking..Win.

Great post. I don't agree with everything SCDeac is saying on this thread (and I wholeheartedly disagree with Rep. Cleveland's idiotic statement) but this post is spot on.

How many of these people living in extreme poverty are working 40 hours/week? I'd like a legit answer. There has got to be some sort of study on this issue.

Employment cannot simply depend on a will to work. There aren't enough jobs available.

I don't recall anyone but me and my wife putting food on our table.

Most Dems aren't interested in doing things that actually work, they just want you to be stupid, dependent and need to keep those checks coming. The best vote buying scheme of all time. And the most shameful. Threating people with starvation and homelessness unless you vote for me and keep the checks coming.[/QUOTE]

this is so far beyond beyond stupid that it's insulting. the sad part is that you really believe this utter shit.

The really sad part is that you've completely bought into the fairy tale of womb to tomb big government benevolence.

Haha. The difference is that my parents had me in their 30's when they were well capable of raising a family. To them $100 wouldn't be nearly enough to have me aborted. Of course my mom is super Christian so its not like she would ever have one anyways.

However for plenty of the poor single moms out there an offer of $100 cash would surely convince them to abort. And in the long run that would save our society millions of dollars. Win...Mother Fucking..Win.

Of course an abortion costs about $500 and the government won't pay for that, so she'd still be $400 short.

How about a program like they have in India....$10,000 to be voluntarily sterilized?

Or $20,000 to be voluntarily euthanized!

Note, this transfer payment would be subject to estate tax.

Last edited:
Amazing that sterilization is still bandied about as some kind of poverty solution. It seems like such a juvenile response. "They need to quit havin' babies!!" yeah, that's it. Last time I checked we don't have a population problem in America like they do in India. In fact, I think our population growth has been slowing for the past several years.

Americans want to work and earn money. History bears this out. When there are enough jobs that pay a decent wage, they get filled and poverty is reduced. Every single time. When there are opportunities for all Americans who are able to work, the poverty rolls shrink. Look it up. The resentment of the poor is ingrained in some of you. It's as if its a cultural thing or something. good gracious

give 'em some fucking training and then offer them a job.

Employment cannot simply depend on a will to work. There aren't enough jobs available.

That's a cute catch phrase and all, which there is some truth to, but at the end of the day its not good enough. We have created a society in which a sizeable minority of society expects to be taken care of their entire life. Hell I don't even blame them, its not their fault that they were classically conditioned to be a leech since birth. However this cycle is unsustainable and has got to be stopped now. I'm not sure of the exact answer, but I know its not our current system. I think attaching community service and/or labor for long term (i.e benefits received after a year or long period of time) welfare and unemployment might be a good starter. Forcing people to get off their ass to get government money might just might encourage the lazier ones to make more money in the private sector.

Also I'd really like to know if this study exists. All I'm asking for is numbers people.

stop having babies- even easier without contraception
get an education- only for snobs and if you want to be like Obama
get a job- easiest thing on the list considering that there is a plethora of openings for the uneducated

That's a cute catch phrase and all, which there is some truth to, but at the end of the day its not good enough. We have created a society in which a sizeable minority of society expects to be taken care of their entire life. Hell I don't even blame them, its not their fault that they were classically conditioned to be a leech since birth. However this cycle is unsustainable and has got to be stopped now. I'm not sure of the exact answer, but I know its not our current system. I think attaching community service and/or labor for long term (i.e benefits received after a year or long period of time) welfare and unemployment might be a good starter. Forcing people to get off their ass to get government money might just might encourage the lazier ones to make more money in the private sector.

Also I'd really like to know if this study exists. All I'm asking for is numbers people.

I like the "work for subsidy" idea for those that are physically and mentally able.

Of course an abortion costs about $500 and the government won't pay for that, so she'd still be $400 short.

In my world the government would have paid for the abortion yesterday. Sorry, I thought that was obvious in my post.

Amazing that sterilization is still bandied about as some kind of poverty solution. It seems like such a juvenile response. "They need to quit havin' babies!!" yeah, that's it. Last time I checked we don't have a population problem in America like they do in India. In fact, I think our population growth has been slowing for the past several years.

Americans want to work and earn money. History bears this out. When there are enough jobs that pay a decent wage, they get filled and poverty is reduced. Every single time. When there are opportunities for all Americans who are able to work, the poverty rolls shrink. Look it up. The resentment of the poor is ingrained in some of you. It's as if its a cultural thing or something. good gracious

give 'em some fucking training and then offer them a job.

These are the kind of sweeping generalizations that lead to societies in decline. Give me real ideas, not pie-in-the-sky stoner rhetoric.

I like the "work for subsidy" idea for those that are physically and mentally able.

Because there is a healthy level of cultural appreciation for government jobs as is. Capitalism depends on an available workforce. You have to pay some folks not to work. Just the way of the world.

These are the kind of sweeping generalizations that lead to societies in decline. Give me real ideas, not pie-in-the-sky stoner rhetoric.

Historical facts are pie-in-the-sky stoner rhetoric that lead to societies in decline? Strong argument there, killa. You are really doing well.

Please point me to the period in American history where a surplus of jobs and opportunity were rejected by the American populace in favor of government dependence. thanks

I'm still trying to figure out why millions of people come to this country looking for work yearly, yet there aren't enough jobs.

Oh what's that, they're coming here to work the jobs that Americans don't want? Why's that? Because our system of dependency and entitlement has led to a portion of society unwilling to work to make end's meet.

Back