• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Report: Kavanaugh won’t commit to recusal from Trump/Mueller related matters

Can Junebug, or wrangor or angus or even lectro explain to me:

2) Why not just withdraw Kav's nomination and put forward a different abortion hating, gun loving nominee? Kav can't be the only on paper qualified conservative justice.

Sorry I'm not a right-wing hack, but I'll try to answer #2.

The GOP are unable to jettison Kavanaugh because it would mean admitting that sexual assault that happened at any time in a person's life is disqualifying for higher office. That doesn't jive with many things going on in the GOP right now (least of which, obviously, is Trump). The GOP's primary defense outside of denial that anything happened has been, "Sure it happened, but that's just how boys are at that age and we shouldn't make a big deal out of it." For many men, especially GOP Congressmen, the idea of being held accountable for actions throughout your life is abhorrent. If Kavanaugh goes down, it means that they have to look at themselves in the mirror and reflect on their own actions from their youth. It's easy to look at Al Franken or a Hollywood celebrity and stand on their moral high ground and say, "Democrats and liberals have a sexual assault issue." It's unthinkable for them to give that same criticism to their own party.

Everything really comes down to one question: Should men be held accountable for their actions from youth through the present day? The answer is undoubtably "Yes", but the GOP is screaming "NO" at the top of their lungs.

So he’s unqualified because he worked for Starr and Bush in his 20s and 30s and they were failures despite the fact he clerked for Kennedy and has spent 12 years distinguishing himself on the second highest court in the land since his early 40s. Sound.

1) You clearly didn't read the article, as RChildress has stated

2) Has he distinguished himself? Throughout his entire confirmation process, I haven't really noticed anyone bringing up any landmark opinions that he authored having an actual impact on federal jurisprudence. Nor have I seen any reference to even normal opinions that have had a slight impact on federal jurisprudence. Kavanaugh seems to be best known for inserting himself in every partisan political fight from the mid-90's through the Bush administration, for writing ultra-conservative dissents on the DC Circuit Court that were basically Scalia Bat Signals, and rejecting anything that could be considered a right of the people if it was not already written into the Constitution. Maybe that makes him a distinguished judge in Federalist Society circles, but the goal of the SCOTUS should be having the 9 best judges across all political spectrums (it is supposed to be unbiased, remember?) and I think it's pretty clear that Kavanaugh is not even close to that high bar.

Just my team my team my team and hypocrisy. If you are conservative value voting religious person you are one of the worse kinds of people this world has, everything you stand for is a lie, your words mean nothing, you can’t even be true to yourself, at least normally piece of shit humans have self reflection and realization they are shit, in this case a whole group of people live in a fantasy world where everyone else is bad and they aren’t the dumb fuck stains on society they are. Even worse is their entire being is wrapped up in a religion they care so deeply about but somehow have found themselves worse off in that religions true teachings than if they were a random godless atheist.

Sorry I'm not a right-wing hack, but I'll try to answer #2.

The GOP are unable to jettison Kavanaugh because it would mean admitting that sexual assault that happened at any time in a person's life is disqualifying for higher office. That doesn't jive with many things going on in the GOP right now (least of which, obviously, is Trump). The GOP's primary defense outside of denial that anything happened has been, "Sure it happened, but that's just how boys are at that age and we shouldn't make a big deal out of it." For many men, especially GOP Congressmen, the idea of being held accountable for actions throughout your life is abhorrent. If Kavanaugh goes down, it means that they have to look at themselves in the mirror and reflect on their own actions from their youth. It's easy to look at Al Franken or a Hollywood celebrity and stand on their moral high ground and say, "Democrats and liberals have a sexual assault issue." It's unthinkable for them to give that same criticism to their own party.

Everything really comes down to one question: Should men be held accountable for their actions from youth through the present day? The answer is undoubtably "Yes", but the GOP is screaming "NO" at the top of their lungs.

Also, as if to prove my point for me:

Those who work closely with the President say he has privately voiced suspicion about the #MeToo movement and complained that decades-old allegations could ruin men's lives in an instant. The President himself stands accused of various levels of sexual misconduct by 15 women, all of which he has denied.

I’m starting to realize Republicans don’t understand the lack of acknowledgement and apology is part of the problem.

Kavanaugh could have come out and said something like “I don’t remember this particular incident but I did attend these types of parties and I did get drunk regularly. I do not doubt her story. If it was me, I ask for her forgiveness and I want her to know I’m not that type of guy and I have not been for a long time.” It would have largely neutralized the situation.

Lol no. It could lead to him being disbarred and ending his career as a jurist. He has no choice but to fight.

Just confirm the guy and get over yourselves. Nobody from the R side sees this as anything than typical cooked-up Democrat smear ploy. I mean how many times can you employ this sort of gaslight-Fuck job before people recognize the pattern?

Patent horsehit on the eve of nomination.

Fuck You. We are not taking this seriously. We are going to ride this blue wave of smeared feces until 2 Monday’s from now when Kavanaugh will be properly confirmed as he should be

Just confirm the guy and get over yourselves. Nobody from the R side sees this as anything than typical cooked-up Democrat smear ploy. I mean how many times can you employ this sort of gaslight-Fuck job before people recognize the pattern?

Fuck You. We are not taking this seriously. We are going to ride this blue wave of smeared feces until 2 Monday’s from now when Kavanaugh will be properly confirmed as he should be

Hypothetical: do you think a man who committed serious sexual assault as a teenager but doesn't have this fact discovered until 30 years later should still be made to answer for his sexual assault?

Lol no. It could lead to him being disbarred and ending his career as a jurist. He has no choice but to fight.

Umm, no. Even if he admitted to the actions (or maybe apologized in a less specific way), he ain't getting disbarred. He won't be charged with a crime, and won't be impeached from his DC Circuit Court position.

The law firm that is representing Ford specializes in whistleblower cases. That means they have giant cajones. Their position at this point should be GOP Senators must ask questions not some hired hand; Ford's witnesses get to testify and she gets Secret Service of FBI protection. If those criteria aren't met, they will show the back-and-forth correspondence with the Committee on a 60 Minutes special about Ford which will be shown next week.

The last thing the GOP wants to see is a 60 Minutes show that illustrates the nature and actions of Grassley and his minions. The country could break in either direction after a fair Senate hearing. It won't be close to 50/50 if it's a 60 Minutes show.

And 10s of people give a fuck about 60 minutes.

You two are truly ridiculous. Keep eating that sauce.

As McConnell weighed in “we will have Kavanaugh on the court”

Mitch knows exactly the bullshit Feinstein is pulling — this wool over nobody’s eyes who has any common sense, logic or understanding of the FBI role in this charade

You sound pretty pissed at republicans.

So you recognize the pattern of sexual abuse by men in power too. You've grown so much.

It's not like it's only Republicans getting caught up in these sort of allegations, so it's really bizarre that the Pubs are so defensive about these allegations. If Kavanaugh isn't confirmed, then you will just nominate someone else and get them confirmed in a few weeks. You're going to get your conservative majority on the court eventually, so why stick up for this guy?

Last edited:
You sound pretty pissed at republicans.

Not at all :)

I am having a great time..

I know at the end of this whipped up zephyr of monkey dung will pass — and the guy will be on the Supreme Court

So you recognize the pattern of sexual abuse by men in power too. You've grown so much.

Take your guilt trip and shove it. You and Democrats have less Fucking standing on this issue than anyone else.

Do you want a fucking list of liberal predators over the last 2 years? It is DOMINTED by Assholes on The LEFT

Not at all :)

I am having a great time..

I know at the end of this whipped up zephyr of monkey dung will pass — and the guy will be on the Supreme Court

What’s the hold up then? How many democratic votes do they need to confirm him?

Take your guilt trip and shove it. You and Democrats have less Fucking standing on this issue than anyone else.

Do you want a fucking list of liberal predators over the last 2 years? It is DOMINTED by Assholes on The LEFT

It's not a partisan thing though. That's the point...

As I appended to my original post:

It's not like it's only Republicans getting caught up in these sort of allegations, so it's really bizarre that the Pubs are so defensive about these allegations. If Kavanaugh isn't confirmed, then you will just nominate someone else and get them confirmed in a few weeks. You're going to get your conservative majority on the court eventually, so why stick up for this guy?

Sexual assault isn’t a partisan problem at all. It seems to be a predominately male power problem though. One party seems more interrelated in persevering male power than the other.

Back