• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

indeed, on the other side, basically all of those blue counties are super rural/sparsely populated and will be heavily favored for Trump

I bet I know who "them" is, but I have no idea what "I higher tax bracket for 7 years" mean.

Harris County, TX had overnight voting last night

Love it. I think "Election Day" should be a 36 hour period from Saturday morning 7 am local time to Sunday evening 7 pm local time. At least two weeks of early voting and one or two overnight votes along with that should be sufficient.

10K overnight votes could be the margin in TX. That's a huge number for 12 hours even in a large county. By comparison, the Panthers celebrated their 10,000th voter since Oct 15 at BOA Stadium.
https://www.wbtv.com/2020/10/28/carolina-panthers-celebrate-th-early-voter-bank-america-stadium/

more fun stuff !

Security info request from Trump campaign leaves Cumberland County officials concerned ahead of Election Day

Cumberland County officials received an email this week from the Trump campaign requesting highly specific details about the county’s ballot security.

The email, obtained by The Sentinel, went so far as to ask for the address and room numbers of ballot storage locations — and asking that the information be sent to the Gmail account of a Florida-based Trump operative.

County officials said they have not responded to the request and do not intend to, according to the county commissioners.

The Trump campaign described the request as “standard election transparency details,” but local officials find the implication — that the President’s campaign staff is harvesting election security plans through what appears to be a personal web-based email account — to be extremely concerning.

“It’s almost kind of chilling the sort of data they wanted us to provide,” Cumberland County Commissioner Gary Eichelberger said. “This is basically the whole security plan. We’ve never received a request of this detail and I find it troubling that one of the interested parties [in the election outcome] feels they have a right to information that obviously could jeopardize the security of the ballots.”

Cumberland is actually in R control (Eichelberger is a republican) but they were one of the exceptions during the early pandemic and did not cave to partisan requests to ignore Wolfe's shutdown/quarantine rules.

they made a big deal yesterday about deciding early to handle all mail ballot stuff in-house. apparently the surrounding counties that are moving more quickly hired third-party vendors to do balloting and canvassing.

this wasn't discussed yesterday but lots of constituents were pushing them to move ballots to places with more room so they could comply with the state's COVID/distancing regulations and they kept alluding to "security concerns" that seemed off the wall. maybe they should've mentioned this story

You're not alone:

My old home county is the red one.
Monroe County plans to split the difference, preparing ballots for counting on Nov. 3, then beginning to count them on Nov. 4. It’s a schedule dictated by manpower, County Commissioner John Christy said.
"Preparing ballots"=opening the outer envelope, but not the inner security envelope.

Jesus Christ this sucks so bad. This is some fascist autocratic shit, and there’s a major party just going along with it.

"Preparing ballots"=opening the outer envelope, but not the inner security envelope.

Dems wanted to pass a bill to allow that prep to happen in the days leading up to the election, but Republicans wanted to give Trump his day to declare victory.

So foreplay instead of just getting down to the naked ballots.

Republicans are really going all out, and if they don't successfully keep Trump and other Pubs in office, they have really tipped there hand for nothing. Makes me worried that the Supreme court will ultimately be "fuck the facts, Trump is president". It could come down to which candidate our military supports, and as disrespectful as Trump is I still don't trust them to ever support a Dem if it's close.

Back