• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

The whole segment is awful and based on a few lines pulled out of context, but the sounds like a monkey part is around 2:20

I dislike Hannity so very, very much.

why is it sexist

Because millenials need to exercise their right to be exceedingly offended by every little thing out there. Go back and read how upset some of the under 30 crowd got at "tranny" a few weeks back.

Six declared candidates in the field already, probably another dozen contemplating a run. Likely field will include at least a dozen candidates. Allegedly there's an online straw poll with 3 dozen potential GOP candidates on it.

Because millenials need to exercise their right to be exceedingly offended by every little thing out there. Go back and read how upset some of the under 30 crowd got at "tranny" a few weeks back.

This happened to me a few months ago when a millenial friend of mine got pissed at me when I used the term gypsy, informing me that the now preferred term is Romani. I hadn't gotten that memo. I wanted to offend her further by asking if I could instead use the terms pikeys or thieves, but she's a nice person and I didn't want to ruin a nice evening of playing cards.

This happened to me a few months ago when a millenial friend of mine got pissed at me when I used the term gypsy, informing me that the now preferred term is Romani. I hadn't gotten that memo. I wanted to offend her further by asking if I could instead use the terms pikeys or thieves, but she's a nice person and I didn't want to ruin a nice evening of playing cards.

This is a much more offensive slur than 'gypsy'. And it is actually a pejorative slur, whereas gypsy is technically an ethnic exonym, or whatever it's called.

This is a much more offensive slur than 'gypsy'. And it is actually a pejorative slur, whereas gypsy is technically an ethnic exonym, or whatever it's called.

Which is why I wanted to say pikeys and thieves but then thought I might ruin an otherwise nice evening by doing so. I've seen Snatch at least a few times. And I still can't understand much of what Brad Pitt says.

Which is why I wanted to say pikeys and thieves but then thought I might ruin an otherwise nice evening by doing so. I've seen Snatch at least a few times. And I still can't understand much of what Brad Pitt says.

I mean, now that I think about it, using the term 'gypsy' is not unlike using the term 'Indian' to describe a Native American (when used in a mildly pejorative way like "indian-giver" or "indian-style" sitting).

Typically if you call somebody a name they don't want to be called, it makes you a dick.

The whole segment is awful and based on a few lines pulled out of context, but the sounds like a monkey part is around 2:20

I don't watch anything on TV but sports and movies so Im a little out of the loop. that is actual television programming that people watch and take seriously? Holy fucking shit

I took heat for calling that queer senator with the girls name a queer.

Until I watched that segment, I couldn't understand how or why Carson had more support than Fiorina. Clearly there's a decent sized segment of conservatives who still believe there's a tape of Michelle ranting about Whitey. Hannity is clearly playing to that crowd.

As an aside, always cracked me up when that cross eyed (sorry don't know a more palatable description) guy was a McCain spokesperson. Couldn't understand why the campaign couldn't find a less distracting front person.

I mean, now that I think about it, using the term 'gypsy' is not unlike using the term 'Indian' to describe a Native American (when used in a mildly pejorative way like "indian-giver" or "indian-style" sitting).

Yeah, at least in this country, I think gypsy is more passe than it is pejorative, like Indian or Oriental. I still hear folks my parents age saying Oriental, and I got the memo to say Asian 20+ years ago.

Yeah, at least in this country, I think gypsy is more passe than it is pejorative, like Indian or Oriental. I still hear folks my parents age saying Oriental, and I got the memo to say Asian 20+ years ago.

The chinaman is not the issue here.

True. "Gypsy" and "Indian" are both mis-attributions based on (traditionally) mistaken ethnic origin. Neither came into the English lexicon as pejorative neologisms. (and, ironically [townie?], the Roma are probably, ethnically, of Indian descent)

"Oriental" is kind of silly as an offensive term; like "gypsy," it comes to modern English from Middle English as a term to designate the "East," in general. I suppose it is offensive primarily when it is used to identify an entire continent of people as being of the same cultural or ethnic heritage.

Correct.

A rug is "Oriental."

The kids we have to discriminate against because they keep succeeding too much on their own are "Asians."

I think that covers today's lesson in tolerance and #sensitivity.

True. "Gypsy" and "Indian" are both mis-attributions based on (traditionally) mistaken ethnic origin. Neither came into the English lexicon as pejorative neologisms. (and, ironically [townie?], the Roma are probably, ethnically, of Indian descent)

" I suppose it is offensive primarily when it is used to identify an entire continent of people as being of the same cultural or ethnic heritage.

Isn't Asian or African used in the same way?

Back