• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

Please state your disagreement. I'm sure you've never blamed an elected official for the state of the economy, right?

If a competitive free market forces result in a business closing in a city or a state and moving elsewhere, voters could decide to blame their elective officials for it. It's silly to say only business is subject to the free market. Everybody is in one way or another.

Even buying your argument, you make a case why it's ridiculous to claim somebody used to competitive free market principles would do well in the public sector. Being president isn't like a CEO trying to destroy the competition. At least it shouldn't be.

All I am saying is that successful business execs have at the very least proven their competency. If they are not competent at running a business they will either fail or be fired. That is not the case in government, education, or other professions where poor outcome is tolerated for longer periods. The skills necessary to run a business do not necessarily translate to running government, but there is a least a proven competency. Pubs like the idea of running government more like a business with outcome and results being a higher priority (at least in theory). I am not sure that pubs do any better in practice but I think that is the theory behind why pubs would like to see business experience in government.

Your theory is a good explanation but it is rife with a lot of core conservative assumptions.

What I don't get is the basic idea that we have a free market economy but anybody who is successful as a CEO did so on their own merit.

Also, the idea that because somebody is good at "something" they would be good at being president is just strange.

Also Republicans wouldn't vote for a Democrat with a successful business background anyway.

Last edited:
How do you know what it takes to run a business?

Yes, we know all people who claim something is overrated know how to do it themselves.

"Queer bait"

"Shouldn't we learn by like dodging balls that are thrown at us?"

"That's what this bag of wrenches is for."

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

"What?"

-RIP Mr. Torn

"Queer bait"

"What?"

-RIP Mr. Torn

Huh?

Yes, we know all people who claim something is overrated know how to do it themselves.

"Queer bait"

"What?"

-RIP Mr. Torn

I'm no genius...

But I think his point was that Patches, played by Rip Torn in the movie Dodgeball, was paraplegic yet demanded that those with fully functional legs dodge wrenches, etc. in order to prove their ability to dodge dodgeballs.

That, or ONW just really wanted to quote that movie. He missed the best quote...

"You're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

Damn. Good translation, dv7.

No doubt White Goodman would do well in a Republican primary. He was a successful businessman, too.

I'm no genius...

But I think his point was that Patches, played by Rip Torn in the movie Dodgeball, was paraplegic yet demanded that those with fully functional legs dodge wrenches, etc. in order to prove their ability to dodge dodgeballs.

That, or ONW just really wanted to quote that movie. He missed the best quote...

"You're about as useful as a cock flavored lollipop."

The translation and ulterior motive are both correct.

The thrill of victory, the agony of #undefeated.

Mitt Romney just looked through his binders to suggest a Fiorina/Ayoette ticket. McCain drafted Palin to pick up pissed off Hillary voters. Identity politics.

Mitt Romney just looked through his binders to suggest a Fiorina/Ayoette ticket. McCain drafted Palin to pick up pissed off Hillary voters. Identity politics.

You should add in the knee jerk appointment of Michael Steele to chair the GOP following the 2008 ass beating.

You point to the 2008 election as proof Republicans like identity politics?

Back