• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

REPUBLICANS -SHOW ID TO VOTE BUT NOT TO GIVE MONEY

Don't worry board "moderate", I'm sure everyone who contributes to a (D) discloses who they are and that all funds come from within the good ol' US of A.

:rolleyes:

For twenty years on these boards, I've been against either party getting a penny from anyone. All federal elections should be 100% publicly financed. I've never veered from this position.

If that's not going to happen. ALL donors from a penny to whatever amount should have to be disclosed. I don't care which party.

Just like I've been consistent on this issue, DeacMan has been consistent at being a snarky, arrogant putz.

For twenty years on these boards, I've been against either party getting a penny from anyone. All federal elections should be 100% publicly financed. I've never veered from this position.

If that's not going to happen. ALL donors from a penny to whatever amount should have to be disclosed. I don't care which party.

Just like I've been consistent on this issue, DeacMan has been consistent at being a snarky, arrogant putz.

And out comes the tiny violin.

Just telling the truth.....you hate the fact that you can't ban people for standing up to you like you used to do. Once a snarky pussy, always....

Oh by the way, funny thing about the the Disclose Act, unions are, of course, exempt from the provisions. Damn you Koch brothers and damn you George W. Bush!

Buckets.

The unions have had built-in advantages when it comes to political donations for the last 80 years. Now corporations have been given equal power and they're all butt hurt.

Here's a fun fact, I don't belong to any unions and I have money invested in corporations. So in my opinion unions can all go rot in hell unless they wanna play by the same rules. Sorry to upset the Democratic Corruption Machine.

If union members can opt out of political donation why shouldn't shareholders be able to do the same thing?

Before an ad is placed or a donation is made corporations should have to ask each shareholder their position on it.

If union members can opt out of political donation why shouldn't shareholders be able to do the same thing?

Before an ad is placed or a donation is made corporations should have to ask each shareholder their position on it.

A shareholder can opt out at anytime by selling their stock

They shouldn't have to. A union member doesn't have to quit his job.

If shareholders can opt out of ownership in the corporation, shouldn't union members be allowed to opt out of union membership?

If shareholders receive dividends from corporate profits, shouldn't union members receive the same?

You know, it is certainly possible that I overreacted earlier in this thread. Apologies to you DeacMan. Sometimes my passion impedes my common sense.

Oh by the way, funny thing about the the Disclose Act, unions are, of course, exempt from the provisions. Damn you Koch brothers and damn you George W. Bush!

Unions already have to report contributions, keep registered membership rolls, and submit dozens of fiscal disclosures regarding expenditures. But if the Carlyle Group wants to use Saudi oil money and form a SuperPac to influence US foreign policy, we'll never know, because the right wants to keep that in the shadows.

Citizens United is one of the most damaging legal fictions in US history.

Unions should have to disclose as well. Secret money is bad money.

Agreed. But to equate what unions can do with the current Thunderdome that is SuperPac law is ridiculous. These are not equivalent rules of play by any stretch.

Last edited:
One is selling an asset and gaining market value for it, the other is forfeiting compensation. Fantastic comparison.

not if the company's value is going up or if the shareholder doesn't want to sell....

Back