• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

I like that plan.

in theory, the plan is ok but the idea of us spending billions to build a wall and then spending billions to tear it back down makes me want to pull my hair out!

there has to be a better way.

in theory, the plan is ok but the idea of us spending billions to build a wall and then spending billions to tear it back down makes me want to pull my hair out!

Don’t worry the Pubs would never go for it. I mean there’s an emergency at the border for sure, but it’s not such a big emergency that they would actually vote for gun control.

Eh. The wall won’t get started in earnest until next year. Candidate Beto can go to his home district and give an impassioned speech holding a sledge hammer, “Mr. Trump, tear down that wall.” And the President Beto can cancel it.

I would get behind Dems trading a wall, which can be removed, for universal background checks, mandatory waiting period, assault weapons ban, large magazine bans, significant hand gun restrictions, and permanent DACA protections. Or Medicare for all and reentering the Paris agreement. Let's compromise!

Sure, and comprehensive sensible immigration reform, etc.

Don’t worry the Pubs would never go for it. I mean there’s an emergency at the border for sure, but it’s not such a big emergency that they would actually vote for gun control.

Yeah, there's the rub. I like the idea of trying to accomplish something through compromise, but the effect of this would be that the shutdown would continue, and IMO the blame in the public eye would shift from Trump and the Republicans (where it rightfully is) to the Democrats.

Quick little anecdote about how some Republicans view the shutdown.

My mother and several of her friends are flying into DC this weekend to attend my fiance's bridal shower. When I mentioned many of the museums will not be open, my mother replied "Thanks to Pelosi." I responded that I hope she mentions that opinion to my fiance's friends, several of whom are furloughed federal workers who will be attending the shower as well. My mother however had no remorse, as these women in their twenties will eventually get pensions, so why should they worry about not getting paychecks. My mother then went on to rebuke me, as she was the real victim having to go through longer lines at TSA because of the shutdown.

I am not relating this little conversation as a way to shame my mother (who is a wonderful woman despite her political views) but to show how many in this country view the shutdown. They elected a President who promised to build a wall, and it is the Democrats who are preventing this from happening, so the Dems are the ones going against the will of the people. The pain others are going through is not greater than the sense of security that a wall will bring. Also empathy is a word not in their lexicon.

What would be the answer, do you think, if you asked her why the Pubs didn't fund the wall over the past 2 years?

Eh. The wall won’t get started in earnest until next year. Candidate Beto can go to his home district and give an impassioned speech holding a sledge hammer, “Mr. Trump, tear down that wall.” And the President Beto can cancel it.

If he has time away from Instagraming his proctology exam.

Also like most things most Americans have no idea about government benefits. While it use to be advantageous to work for the government because job security (laughable with this shutdown), work life balance, and retirement, the retirement part of the equation has been stripped down significantly. Sure a pension still exists but if you work for the government toiling away for less pay than private sector at a GS 9 level making 55,000 for your last three years, and worked said job for 33 years, I believe you get 1.1 percent per a year, so a crazy $19,965 a year pension, living that rich life!

If he has time away from Instagraming his proctology exam.

Actually some Beto wall angel wings with a sledgehammer insta pics would accomplish the same thing.

Quick little anecdote about how some Republicans view the shutdown.

My mother and several of her friends are flying into DC this weekend to attend my fiance's bridal shower. When I mentioned many of the museums will not be open, my mother replied "Thanks to Pelosi." I responded that I hope she mentions that opinion to my fiance's friends, several of whom are furloughed federal workers who will be attending the shower as well. My mother however had no remorse, as these women in their twenties will eventually get pensions, so why should they worry about not getting paychecks. My mother then went on to rebuke me, as she was the real victim having to go through longer lines at TSA because of the shutdown.

I am not relating this little conversation as a way to shame my mother (who is a wonderful woman despite her political views) but to show how many in this country view the shutdown. They elected a President who promised to build a wall, and it is the Democrats who are preventing this from happening, so the Dems are the ones going against the will of the people. The pain others are going through is not greater than the sense of security that a wall will bring. Also empathy is a word not in their lexicon.

Are you my brother?

Are you my brother?

This is a pretty widespread phenomenon, and I'm with both of you. I try not to talk to my dad at all. My mom usually avoids politics entirely when talking to us, but when she does mention or ask something, it's often a doozy. Like about 3 years ago when the ebola crisis was going on and she was in Texas visiting her relatives when that guy from some west African country was diagnosed with it in Texas. She asked if I thought terrorists were intentionally infecting themselves and flying over here to infect the US.

Also like most things most Americans have no idea about government benefits. While it use to be advantageous to work for the government because job security (laughable with this shutdown), work life balance, and retirement, the retirement part of the equation has been stripped down significantly. Sure a pension still exists but if you work for the government toiling away for less pay than private sector at a GS 9 level making 55,000 for your last three years, and worked said job for 33 years, I believe you get 1.1 percent per a year, so a crazy $19,965 a year pension, living that rich life!

The federal government moved away from a guaranteed pension system a while back in the 1980s, there is no way a 20 something federal employee is getting a sweet retirement. They now have a 401k style individual contribution program with limited employer matching and as you noted here a very limited addition “pension” program that the government provides using an unpublished formula to calculate benefits.

This is a pretty widespread phenomenon, and I'm with both of you. I try not to talk to my dad at all. My mom usually avoids politics entirely when talking to us, but when she does mention or ask something, it's often a doozy. Like about 3 years ago when the ebola crisis was going on and she was in Texas visiting her relatives when that guy from some west African country was diagnosed with it in Texas. She asked if I thought terrorists were intentionally infecting themselves and flying over here to infect the US.

You basically just narrated my time at home for Christmas this past December, only my mother’s absurd take was that Kwanzaa is a made up holiday and that Happy Holidays is bullshit.

You basically just narrated my time at home for Christmas this past December, only my mother’s absurd take was that Kwanzaa is a made up holiday and that Happy Holidays is bullshit.

I don’t celebrate Kwanzaa and don’t really know many people who do but the best response I’ve heard to that argument is all holidays are made up so whatever. I’d add that all holidays are celebrated different by different peoples in different places as well.

How do any of those debates get past: "But the shut down started with Republicans in control of the house."

Back