• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

All Trump had to was take credit for Obama’s border security but that wasn’t enough for the nativists.

I know this sounds terrible, but I have no sympathy for these people. Many of them live off generous government subsidies and loans, yet they've also spouted the standard GOP "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mantra for decades, and brag about rural folk being so self-reliant while espousing all that Dale Gribble anti-government rhetoric. Now that they're having to finally face the consequences of their actions, they're complaining, but still sticking with Trump. The attitude of all of them seems to be the same as the Trumpite lady in Florida in another recent article on rural conservatives whose main complaint was that Trump "wasn't hurting the people he was supposed to be hurting." Again, you reap what you sow.

Doesn’t sound terrible at all.

If things continue as they are, we're eventually going to get NY Times or CNN articles on Trump supporters in which we learn that they've lost everything and are literally starving while living in cardboard shacks and their kids are skin and bones, and yet they'll say "well, I hate that we lost our house and my kids are living on crackers and peanut butter, but I still support Trump giving those libruls hell and I think we need a border wall. But, yeah, he hasn't done everything exactly as I hoped he would."

Let him lose his farm. Can’t fix stupid.

The latest Washington Post/ABC News poll has the worst results for Trump and the GOP yet. According to the poll, 53% of Americans blame Trump and Congressional Republicans for the shutdown, and only 29% blame the Democrats. 54% of Americans oppose building the wall, while only 42% support it (to be fair, that is an increase from 34% a year ago, with the increase in support coming almost entirely from Republicans). And a whopping 66% of Americans oppose Trump declaring a national emergency, while only 31% support it. Among independents, 53% blame Trump and the GOP for the shutdown, and only 23% blame Democrats. Those are bad numbers for Trump and Republicans, even if most of his base is sticking with him.

ETA: The latest CNN poll is also out. It shows that Americans oppose building a wall by a 56 to 39 percent margin. Trump's approval rating in the poll fell five points, to just 37% approval (57% disapprove), which is close to the low-water mark for his entire presidency (35%). 55% of the people polled blame Trump for the shutdown, to only 32% who blamed the Democrats.

Link to ABC/Washington Post poll article: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/425077-trump-republicans-shoulder-more-blame-for-shutdown-than-democrats

Link to CNN poll: https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/politics/cnn-poll-shutdown-trump/index.html

Last edited:
Nothing better than the image of the master deal maker sitting in an empty White House furiously watching Fox News all day because he can’t get everything he wants.

And a whopping 66% of Americans oppose Trump declaring a national emergency, while only 31% support it.

That is still distressingly low.

Ah yes... even more real world examples of the Dem party values like inclusion, tolerance, and empathy.

i see nothing wrong with our posts. this man has the free will to make any decisions that he wants to make. i do not agree with his decision or his stance on the wall, but he can surely have his own.

that doesn't mean i have any obligation to help him out of his predicament. in this instant i think that having a useless wall in exchange for his farm, is stupid. i am allowed my opinion.

decisions like this have consequences, he has to live with them.

so, this independent is showing inclusion, tolerance and empathy. i think he is making a grave decision, i do feel bad for him. a corrupt and manipulative president is misrepresenting the need for a wall and this guy has bought is hook, line and sinker. this is no different that snake-oil salesmen or a ponzi scheme...even the mega churches. someone has talked this man into making the worst decision for him and his family.

just don't ask me to give him money to help him out. would you give an alcoholic one of your kidneys? no, the odds are that they will make the same stupid mistake later at your expense.

Ah yes... even more real world examples of the Dem party values like inclusion, tolerance, and empathy.

Typical RW bullshit...thinking it's wrong not to tolerate hate and bigotry...or that you should be inclusive or have have empathy for white supremacists or neo-Nazis..

Dulles had to close one of its two main checkpoints today because too many TSA staff called out.

Back