• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should NegRep Pussy Go The Way Of The Dodo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i love how people act like rep is this board-saving thing, like people were flaming each other non-stop on the DS boards and it was derailing threads left and right. maybe on the politics board but quad/sports? come on. that's what the mods are for.

You don't remember the flaming and personal attacks that derailed DS sports board threads?

You don't remember the flaming and personal attacks that derailed DS sports board threads?

just wait for the sports seasons to begin and see if the rep system saves us from a post-blowout meltdown. rep isn't the pressure valve people want it to be; it's just a way for people to give secret encouragement or a one off shot. if someone is going to attack someone personally on a thread, they're going to do it anyway. see also: the threads re: DV7 and Townie's departure. not to mention that time the mods changed that dude's tag

I definitely think we don't know for sure until the Fall, but I think the atmosphere is different for cheap flaming compared to DS where more people felt emboldened to do it.

Yeah, I don't know that it really helps to avoid derailing threads. If I get negrepped for a valid point, I typically respond to it in the thread anyway because chances are if one person felt that way, others did too. Then I get negrepped for mentioning that I got a negrep.

Not to mention that most people on here claim to not care about rep. So how would it successfully rein in any sports board pissing match (unless they're actually lying about not caring about rep)?

Anyway, I vote to keep it and keep it just like it is.

Everyone one of these rep threads has someone claiming that they don't care about rep and that anyone who does is a baby or needs to grow up. That is true, it's really stupid to get worked up about it.

But if it doesn't matter that much, then what purpose does it serve? Maybe it does help threads from becoming derailed, though I'm not sure that's entirely true. Those who say they don't care about it, would you be upset if it were gotten rid of? Seems a few people would like it to stay the way it is, but if its not important then you won't mind if it gets changed or disposed of. Right?

I don't care if it goes away. It's just a bell and whistle feature. Seems like most of the user base want it to stay tho.

i am, however, furious at the rep inflation that seems to emanate from the chat thread

i am, however, furious at the rep inflation that seems to emanate from the chat thread

I wouldn't say I'm furious about it, but it certainly devalues the whole rep thing when they're having a rep circle jerk, posting 100 times a day to each other.

It is weird to see a poster I don't remember seeing post with several bars of rep and then check and see they only post on the chat thread.

There are few things I do that make me feel like more of a dork than reading about people's reps on a sports message board. I don't even know what it means, however I know people talk about it entirely too much and its incredibly lame.

There are few things I do that make me feel like more of a dork than reading about people's reps on a sports message board. I don't even know what it means, however I know people talk about it entirely too much and its incredibly lame.

neg rep

Back